Reverse Tradeskilling

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aghinem, May 8, 2016.

1. Aghinem Augur

Hiya,

Has anyone ever thought of a new feature to tradeskills in which you can disassemble items and get a % of the materials back? This would naturally only apply to certain lines, as you can't undo a cake and get your eggs back - haha. Any thoughts?
  2. Hekaton Augur

there is no way anything ever will be added to the game that doesnt fall into the bare minumum in the expansion launch window. look elsewhere for innovation.
    Iila likes this.
  3. Thraine Augur

Scrapping items/weapons for materials is a popular thing in lots of games .. H1Z1 for example has that feature

It would most definitely add a neat twist to Tradeskills, which has been mostly unchanged for the entire life of the game
    Aghinem likes this.
  4. Rhodz Augur

This game missed the boat on TS, bigtime.
    One of the reasons we left once and took up the original SWG was the fantastic TS system and the NEED for TS. That game just forgot the content, is it a law that a game has to have one serious very obvious flaw that is never addressed?

Face it the raiders did not want the gear competition and SoE always went with them.
    Doing it now? No way, imagine the bugs.
  5. TwoScoopsOfHot New Member

They would have to be a price for doing this, they can't just let you do it for free. If they did, skill-ups would become a trivial matter of: make it, break it, make it, break it... until you get the skill you need.

That said, a lot of games do let you "break it down" into different components. For example, an item that took a Silver Bar and a Diamond might break down into Silver Bits and a Broken Diamond or something. And perhaps those components have a decent Vendor value so that skill-ups didn't cost quite as much. And perhaps you could combine several Silver Bits to get back up to a Silver Bar... and maybe you could have a spell that repairs the Broken Diamond or something.

But I doubt it's going to be what you want it to be, especially given the effort it would take to implement.
  6. Xanathol Augur

I've always liked the idea of 'stripping a proc' from older weapons or perhaps the look of the item itself into an ornmentation.
  7. KaoK Lorekeeper

They have almost 0 incentive to ever put player-made/quested ornaments in game when people willingly gobble them up from the marketplace. (That said... really wish they'd make a lot of the old class-specific weapons available as ornaments... even if it's the marketplace :oops:).

I will say it was beyond disappointing that our "tradeskills" for this latest expac was solely HF ornaments.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Sadly, I think the devs just forgot all about crafting after a certain point. Half the time it is just worthless to even start, as the items are junk compared to many dropped things.

There isn't even any quests for crafting. Just get and click, rinse and repeat, sell or trash.

Since we're only in Kunark on Phinigel, the 'easy' way to craft isn't in game yet. Blacksmithing is a major plat sink, and there are very few people who make anything higher than Banded Mail (shout out to Jaydee for helping me get a set of Small Fine Steel!). Food is worthless unless you can drop alot of time and plat into making the stat items. Fletching is good for Rangers though. I haven't seen many Tinkerers either ...

I kinda wish things were better streamlined. They kept adding and adding as expansions came out, so crafters had to get more and more items (like we already have spiderling and spider silk .. why add 8 more?). That is why I do like the idea of using nodes (ala EQ2) to 'hold' the materials for crafting. One can use that, and maybe some dropped items.

I believe someone brought up the subject of Tradeskilling at a DBG conference or something (correct me if wrong) but it seems it isn't something on their plate ATM. Hell, I'd even go and fix it up.
  9. beryon Augur

Not so much "forgot" as "fired the last guy left working on tradeskills".
    Lonye, Gyurika Godofwar and Dibab like this.
  10. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Fair enough. ANd that tells me a whole lot on how much they don't care about it.
  11. Lonye Augur

I would almost rather get no new recipes than be subject to Jansan again
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  12. Khoza Augur

EQ actually did have a few combines like this way, way back. Classic and Velious had weapons which could be rendered down for ore. Tarnished weapons could be made into bricks of ore, and velium weapons into bricks of velium.
    Your_Ad_Here, Lonye and Xanathol like this.
  13. Your_Ad_Here Augur

That is true! It's the one way you can get the bricks needed to leveling up Blacksmithing through Banded Mail.
  14. Aghinem Augur

This is my thought -

I think if the next expansion or campaign, they introduced a 'scraping' ability for various tradeskills and expanded upon the existing system to make it more worthwhile (ie. make crafted gear better than group gear) - it would certainly create a lot of interest within the masses.