TLP PvP Server?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sham, Mar 22, 2016.

1. GrugSA Augur

Tell me more about how SZ was during classic
  2. Pikallo Augur

As an avid PvP'r in other games(just not EQ), I fully understand the desire for a PvP server and would have no major problem with the existence of a PvP TLP server, but it is just not realistic.

DBG very clearly has limited resources to do any sort of major changes, including new content, new servers, fixing bugs/problems, etc. Spending those resources on something with such limited and narrow interest just doesn't make sense. For me, it is not about hate, it is about practicality. If they DID choose to use resources in making this happen, that takes away time and energy from the multiple existing TLPs that already have plenty of their own issues that need addressing. Not to mention, you would further thin out an already sparse population of players in a game that really doesn't attract a whole lot of new people.

For me, is has nothing to do with PvP specifically, but rather the idea of yet another TLP server that would just further dilute this dwindling community.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  3. Rhayder New Member

ugh please stop asking for more TLP servers.. Let phinny/rf/lj have a year or two AT LEAST before opening another one and effectively killing the others.
  4. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I always laugh when people say, "D'uh! If they haven't done it yet = NO RESOURCES!"

For developing new content, this makes sense.

For putting up new servers, it makes zero sense.

Remember before Ragefire was announced, how everyone said "There will never be a classic EQ live server. No resources! They don't even have the zone files operable anymore! They'll litigate against P99 before that happens!"

Woops! As it turns out, the ForumQuest crystal ball has a poor track record of figuring out what game management is/is not willing and able to do.
  5. Gator34 New Member

Besides, working with pvp servers on eq would generate new interest, old players returning, potentially new players entirely, which could enhance the resources of the company. Pvp and Pve servers aren't in some kind of battle for daddies attention, one just happens to be the star quarterback and the other one is a 3rd string lacrosse player. Eq will always be a pve game first and foremost, no doubt about that, but there is plenty of interest for a pvp ruleset server in eq(if handled correctly). This benefits everyone. There will still be plenty of primarily pve players who play on pve servers who also venture into a pvp server. Pve thrives at the same time pvp does.
  6. Pikallo Augur

I was just presenting a logical reason why it isn't all that realistic. I didn't say that there is "NO RESOURCES" or that it would never happen, I simply said that it doesn't make sense to use the resources they have. Your track record of actually obtaining any sort of pvp server is just as bad as the ideas of all the people you are talking down to.

If you want to continue to cling to your pipe dream and be a condescending dooshbag about it, by all means. Like I said, I'd be perfectly fine with a pvp server but until then, you lose this argument.
  7. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Pot/kettle. Until about a year ago the track record of getting classic era TLPs also spoke for itself.

What resources do they have, precisely? Have you been sitting in on their dev meetings? Can I come with you?
  8. Eangel Elder

Just curious, but do any of you naysayers actually know what "resources" are needed to run a EQ server? guys are running servers on archaic equipment and supporting 100s of players. Clearly, a live server would need to be larger, but nothing that would be costly based off what has been disclosed about the above servers. Coupled with the fact that each account would be a paying customer, how is it a bad idea? More interest is an old game is always a plus especially if there isn't a large overhead for running a specialty server. Please stop inserting your collective negativity on other people's threads and maybe just be ok with fellow gamers wanting to relive their heydays on a TLP PVP server. EQ pvp has a following or their wouldn't be posts "every month" as some of you like to troll with.
  9. Eangel Elder

their = there, typo =/
  10. Pikallo Augur

I'm really not trying to be a naysayer, I'm just pointing out a logical reason why it isn't realistic. No, I don't know precisely what resources they have or what exactly it takes to get something like this off the ground. But I do know this - it takes at least something - and that seems to be more than they are willing to invest. And it would also most certainly impact populations of existing TLP servers. Yes, it is speculation, but its also common sense.
  11. Gator34 New Member

Everyone seems to think the playerbase as a fixed number, and making or updating a pvp server requires losing some of the current playerbase instead of generating and bringing players not currently playing everquest into the fold. Because that is what will happen.
  12. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

I care about as much about a red TLP harming blue TLP server pop as you care about the opposite scenario (i.e. I don't).

That said, there's not as much overlap as you think between the playerbases. People from blue will come over to try red, and it'll hurt blue server pops for a minute maybe, but with a few notable exceptions (EQ superaddicts), red players, don't sub to blue, and blue players only sub to red for a hot minute once in a while.

I'd never pay a sub to play on a blue server. It bores me. I started out on RZ, and I have no need to go around proving the size of my virtual wang, but this is a game about hitting stuff with a sword until it dies, and to have to play it without being able to take a conflict with another player into my own hands prevents me from even getting into the game. It forestalls the level of interpersonal interaction that draws me to MMOs in the first place.
  13. Stewgottz Augur

A phinny paced pvp tlp would be pretty sweet. Even if it bombed, would it be any different that vulak, zek, vox, trak? Those servers are all still up and have very low pops. If its a hit even for a year or three it would have paid for its self.

I would try out a pvp server, but like has been stated many times in this thread and in others, lets give it a rest for bit. Let RF/LJ and phinny breathe for a while.
  14. Random newb Augur

On the up side you could actually fight for ground spawns like VP medallions. This works stop low levels from grabbing it to grief or lol.
  15. Machen New Member

Then there shouldn't be tlp's at all. We are still the minority by quite a lot even with 5 tlp's.
  16. Machen New Member

There is still not a classic EQ live server. Ragefire is no more a classic server than any of the progression servers that came before it. In many ways, it is less so.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  17. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

You're sure ignoring a lot of marketing, saying that RF/LJ/Phinny aren't related to people wanting to play classic-Velious again.
  18. Sham New Member

I don't understand why there is hate toward a PvP TLP Server. People do know they won't be forced to play on it? Also, stop talking about DB's resources, none of us have any idea how much it costs to do anything within the company.

Just the fact that they are trying to do anything at all with new servers, shows they are smart and interested in bringing old players and new players a like back to the game. Why is there so much hate for Red players that are interested in a TLP server?
  19. Pikallo Augur

Seems like the majority of the discussion is fairly civil and just present opposing viewpoints. There really isn't any hate. You guys sure like to claim being the victim. I'll repeat, I think a PvP server would be cool and I fully understand no one HAS to play on it, but my own personal opinion is that it doesn't seem likely for reasons I stated above.

Maybe if you guys who are asking for a PvP server wouldn't get so ruffled anytime someone has an opposing viewpoint, these threads might end up being more productive.
    Rhiyannon and JustACleric like this.
  20. Eangel Elder

It isn't the opposing view points that bother me, at least. It's all the posts that immediately decide that this "would be a failure and here are My reasons why it would be a failure". Those and the troll posts are not warranted or needed. If everyone was actually civil in these threads, there would prob. be a lot less emotion involved with our responses. Just my opinion, of course.