Test Update 02/10/16

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by Hludwolf, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Vtull Augur

From a practical perspective though (and assuming they make the appropriate mercenary changes), isn't that how it should be? Tanks, tank. DPS, DPS. Healers, heal...etc.
  2. Vdidar Augur

I'm well aware of this but in all seriousness how long does eq really have? The focus is on balancing TLP mostly. The content that we paid for last time is still so very buggy it's atrocious. We got more raids as requested but the same people who were done with the last stuff a week after release are done again. The ability to complete raids unless your an end game raiding guild is becoming non existant. I know people say all the time about eq ending and it's still here but now more than ever it would seem we are heading that way. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but it just really seems this way. Reading the forums it seems like there really isn't any class that is happy anymore and if one gets to that point it's short lived. I don't have the answers to fix it but there have been some really great ideas thrown around but it seems like few ever gain any traction.
  3. Utaerx Elder

This. Upgrade GoDR so it has a set number of twincasts (15 seems like a good average number of what we usually get) like Improved Twincast that doesn't require casting a DD. Also, while you're at it, make Hand of Death just proc upon cast so we don't have to hit Lifeburn or intentionally do something stupid to get hit to proc it.
    Nenton, Anthony CT, Rhaage and 2 others like this.
  4. Vrinda Augur

Yes, unlink all the swift DoTs, but please don't add a DD that breaks root when I cast them. This BS bunch of necro nerfs is bad enough as it is without making the few dots I can cast in groups piss everyone off by breaking rooted mobs. Oh wait! I forgot they all summon. Nm.

The cast time + recast delay on our Blood nukes is ridiculous and the chance of having it actually improve our dps is absurdly low. This needs a fix.

Or link the 90/100 and 95/105 pets so we can have only two sets of swarm pets up at the same time. This combination of nerfs is crippling to a necro in a group.

I'm not sure I care about this one because I retired my necro from raiding following the summer 2014 pet nerf fiasco. For those of you who are still willing to go to that much work to do ever diminishing amounts of raid dps with each round of nerfs ... I salute you!
    menown and Vdidar like this.
  5. Borlek New Member

Close the launcher. Go to where your Everquest game is installed in Windows Explorer and delete the "eqhost.txt" file. Reopen the launcher and it will automatically download the correct version of the file, and let you in.
  6. Vrinda Augur

Wait, what? "Tank" mercs haven't been viable in recent memory. I personally, in my silk dress, tank better than a "tank" merc does. I suspect that has something to do with the merc's inability to use its one disc intelligently along with having a lot fewer HPs than I do while sporting the same buffs, though there could be something else under the hood I don't know about that makes them so dreadfully lame.

I'd love to see them fix tank mercs to make them viable (extra healing, yes, but still viable) when you don't have a PC around to tank for you. Don't forget, you'll also need a slower and guaranteed single pulls/crowd control since they can't tank multiples on a good day.

No, I expect to be long dead and gone before the devs decide to do anything about their broken tank mercs.
  7. shadowgod Augur

that doesn't work :) The crash seems to be windows 10 related.
  8. Jujue New Member

Thanks, that got me into Live but Test is still borked and I haven't seen any updates.
  9. Jujue New Member

If you're talking about Test specifically then I don't know what to tell you but I don't have Windows 10 and I can't login either.
  10. shadowgod Augur

ya no clue on test and they have given no info at all.
  11. Jujue New Member

Yeah, it's been kinda quiet. I was playing along happily on Test before the patch.
  12. ohokaydandy New Member

Can't get on Test as well (Windows 10 user). Deleting eqhost.txt doesn't help. Hope it gets fixed soon!
  13. Rhuark New Member

Having looked into this a bit, it looks like the code here crash:
    Code:
    .text:004DCFF2                add    ecx, ecx
    .text:004DCFF4                add    ecx, ecx
    .text:004DCFF6                add    ecx, ecx
    .text:004DCFF8                push    ecx <- lets say you push 0xa8 as the size
    .text:004DCFF9                push    eax <- but the buffers size in memory is actually just 0xa0
    .text:004DCFFA                call    crc32mem(char *, long) <- then a crash will occur...
    .text:004DCFFF                add    esp, 8
    let me explain:
    so look at the crc32mem function or whatever you guys has its name at nowadays, it basically takes 2 arguments, a buffer and a size of that buffer to calculate a checksum for.
    now the crash happens when you specify a buffersize that's LARGER than the actual buffer...

so uhm... please fix by making sure the buffer you calc the checksum for is as large as the size specified... IsBadReadPtr ?
    I'm just guessing now, but it looked like the spell manager grew like 10 times its size maybe checking it makes the computer run out of memory so it keeps dealloc and alloc as it goes?
    anyway it's late here, you figure it out I'm sure... gl.
  14. deftrance New Member

Unfortunately I am also crashing after Server select, Windows 10 with NVIDIA.
  15. Azrael Elder

Wow, what an unreal set of nerfs. MB, fine, it was overtuned for dots (you do realize that melee DPS classes can do 1 MILLION DPS with manaburn right? STILL!), but it should still have some effect (the base damage added should be much more reasonable).

But the rest of the nerfs - /boggle, what's the point of flesh to poison after this nerf? The whole point of the spell was the minimum mana cost to proc GoDR. Otherwise it's just another useless spell in the spellbook that no one will ever use. I still never understood why the necro version of twincast required casting nukes in between, but flesh to poison definitely made the class more enjoyable to play. And at this stage of the game, when other classes regularly synergize to do 400-800k dps on burst, and 250-350k sustained... you've basically knocked necros down to uselessness, be lucky to break 200k now at any duration.

Swarm pets too - why? Patch preview should basically have just said "F*** NECROS".

Guess now's as good a time as any to retire.
    Nenton, Anthony CT and Utaerx like this.
  16. Sancus Augur

How many classes are sustaining 250-300k without really weird circumstances (e.g. A ton of AEing)?
  17. thenagel New Member

thank you very much sir. i understand why the consternation, even tho this doesn't affect my wife and i even a little. she doesn't use swarm pet, other than 'wake the dead. just for giggles. she doesn't use flesh to poison or deathly resolve. we don't have a wizard high enough to be of any use to the necro.
    we just log in and noodle around and have fun. we don't track DPS or any of that sort of thing. doing all of that, for us, sucks the fun out of the game. makes it too much of a 'i'm better than you' competition. or makes it too much like work, which is also no fun.

we pull a mod. we kill it until it's dead. either we kite or root-rot or uses mercs. doesn't matter if it takes a little longer to kill the target, we've got nothing but time. we sit in out little corner and pull our little mobs and chat and flirt and just generally enjoy ourselves, and leave the epeen waving contest to the people who care.

so i can see how a necro who focuses on POOWWAAAHHHHH could be horribly upset at these actions they just don't seem like a big deal to me.
    honestly.. tho this will make me unpopular... it all looks to me like they are bringing to an end things they never intended to happen in the first place. someone figured out a way to do things that the devs never even thought of as an option, so the devs are fixing their oversight.

regardless - i thank you kindly for the detailed information. at least i know why people are in full on *rageflail* mode :)
  18. thenagel New Member

point of order.
    as someone who uses a necros ability to root rot, i strenuously object to adding a DD component to ANY necro dot.
    thank you.
    menown likes this.
  19. menown Augur

I appreciate your point of view thenagel. I did think about DD portion on swift dots as potentially breaking roots. I will not be little your opinion in any way.

In my experience, however, I don't use swift DoTs when root rotting. They put out so little total damage that I rather use normal DoTs. I only use Swift DoTs for encounters that are fast. That is why I suggested adding a DD to them. But everyone plays the class differently.
    Felicite and thenagel like this.
  20. Jujue New Member

Except that those things were intended to happen, except for Manaburn. These things were covered in Betas and told to us by Aristo that they were intended. You don't have to use it if you think it feels like "work" but by taking away things that were intended for us to use no one can use them.