Monk - 1h vs 2h

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Kongfoo, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Kongfoo Elder

I did some parsing recently and found that Fists of Fury procs twice as much when using 1h. This leads me to believe that 1h is better than 2h unless Speed Focus or Destructive Force is going. It's hard to test if the benefits of Fists of Fury are enough to put 1h ahead of 2h since I do not know of a place with a combat dummy where buffs fade. Has anyone else looked into this? Is it worth switching to 1h when SF and DF are down?
  2. Brohg Augur

Buffs are only frozen in Test Server's arena if you elect for them to be
  3. Rhodz Augur

Min-maxing makes people crazy.

Given so many AAs that cater to 2hb damage besides the obvious riposte damage if applicable it begins to be clear why 2hb has so many cheerleaders. FF is just one of many factors and it fires off plenty often with 2hb.
    I stick with 2hb and trust the parses. Plus getting one 2hb is so much easier than 2x 1h.
    What I have found is 1hb is beating h2h by a bit for the same reason. YMMV
  4. Zarakii Augur

I miss the days of duel wielding but sadly monks are parsing better using 2hb over anything else now burn or no burn. Who knows maybe it will change back in TBM
  5. Kongfoo Elder

Thanks Brohg for telling me about the test arena. I went there and found out that 1h is better dps than 2h at certain times. I did my parses with buff timers fading and no buffs on.

This parse is with Pugnoriu + Insigni Saevus primary and Vifensa + Sigil of Thokk secondary.
    Test One Hundred Three in 2361s, 37457k @15865sdps --- Kongfooe 37457k@15865sdps
    In that time Fists of Fury proced 104 times.

This is with Adbreviura + Core of Caldarius.
    Test One Hundred Three in 2364s, 34198k @14466sdps --- Kongfooe 34198k@14466sdps
    This time Fists of Fury proced 35 times.

So I would say if you have no other Hundred Hands Effect up or Destructive Force, then 1h is better dps than 2h.
  6. Zarakii Augur

interesting for you duel wield procced 3x more often for me its closer to 3/4 and 2hb far out parses duel wield. Will run some test later today have test in the past but when i see others results im always willing to double test only way we learn as a community =)
  7. mackal Augur

whats procing Fists of Fury while using a 2hb? It looks to only proc from h2h and 1hb (I assume something is doing a h2h attack that I'm not seeing :p)
  8. Brudal Augur

My thought is likely flurry is being attributed to generic attacks instead of 1h or 2h; same reason some are getting the 1h proc from the shawl aug while using 2 handers.
  9. mackal Augur

If that's true, flurry must be h2h, as in it's not using a weapon. (I don't see it magically using a 1hb)
  10. Brudal Augur

easy way to test is /resetaa buy all aa's but flurry and see if you still get HH procs, will check the same with shawl procs but it won't be until late evening.
  11. Zarakii Augur

it procs off regular auto attack the aa says it increases damage from h2h attacks AND has a small chance to proc fist of fury it doesn't single out a weapon type but it does give a minor damage bonus to h2h
  12. mackal Augur

1: Increase Hand to Hand Damage Bonus by 510
    2: Increase 1H Blunt Damage Bonus by 510
    3: Cast: Fists of Fury on Skill Use (24)
    4: Limit Skill: Hand to Hand
    5: Limit Skill: 1H Blunt

EDIT: http://www.raidloot.com/AA.aspx send updates there, it might of changed :p
  13. Zarakii Augur

well dont go posting that here gonna get the procs off 2hb nerfed!!!
  14. Kiillz Augur

I ll try toying with it again....i didnt see a marked difference, one parse h2h was a bit higher but on that parse I knocked off 4 thunderkicks to 0 on 2h parse....otherwise....not sure worth the trade off for staff block etc.
  15. Kongfoo Elder

Just wanted to elaborate a bit more. In a high adps group, 2h will still be ahead of 1h the majority of the time. If Speed Focus, Destructive Force, Ruaabri's Fury, Quick Time, or Cry of Chaos are going then I would say 2h is better.

Speed Focus, Destructive Force, and Ruaabri's Fury will put 2h ahead always.

Quick Time and Cry of Chaos I'm not 100% sure about. They are both fairly low HHE so it's possible Fists of Fury could still put 1h ahead with these going. I would still use 2h with these just for staff block. I haven't done testing but I can assume the dps from 1h and 2h will be close with Quick Time and Cry of Chaos going.
  16. Zarakii Augur

having purposely screwed my raid parses a few times i can assure you 2hb is hands down better by a long shot but if you want to test by all means i dont want to hurt my parses anymore but willing to hear others reports =)
  17. Rhodz Augur

Its good to question conventional wisdom from time to time.
    Glad he did, learned something.
  18. Kiillz Augur

played with combos discs etc....over an hour .....and your winner ladies and gentleman and still champion.....the 2 hander.....
  19. Brudal Augur

I was wrong, flurry has nothing to do with the invalid proc types. resetaa back to 0 and was still getting both 1h and 2h procs with autoattack.
  20. mackal Augur

So probably need a dev to figure it out .... And you're 100% sure it's just auto attack? No ripostes or anything?