Producer's Letter: July Update and What's Coming Up

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Windstalker, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Windstalker Executive Producer

Greetings Norrathians,

I wanted to give you an update of what we’re up to on the EQ team.

[IMG]

To start with, we have continued working on the Campaign content for later in the year and it’s looking great so far! At the same time, the team continues to add fixes and quality-of-life improvements in our monthly updates as we move forward.

We have been listening to a lot of feedback and discussing some options so we are starting a plan for a special rules server for winter for those people looking for a different experience. We are working on the details, but it seems like a No Bot/No Box Progression server could be a lot of fun (and we might explore some other additions as well). It requires some coding to enforce a single client per computer, so winter seems likely for that release, after the upcoming Campaign.

On the TLP servers – Ragefire and Lockjaw – we are still planning on starting transfers on Thursday afternoon ahead of the expansion voting time frame for Ragefire (if you want to learn more about transfers, please see this post). We had an unfortunate (putting it mildly) failure on Lockjaw on Monday and are working through some of the issues with rollbacks and helping our CS team with petitions.

For all servers, we are chasing some crash issues. We have spent time getting data so we can address those problems.

I also wanted to take a moment and give a heartfelt thanks to our guides. The program is growing and they are back to doing what guides are great at – being players who help the player community. Feels like old times! (I used to be a guide way back in 2001!)

Stay tuned as we bring you more details as we move ahead!
    Beggly, Zujilli, Freebirrd and 9 others like this.
  2. Silv Augur

Thanks for the update!

Any acknowledgement and explanation of the negative changes that weren't addressed here?:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...cliff-notes-what’s-awesome-this-month.225197/

Examples would include the hard crit cap to rain spells and other severe decreases to damage mods (Enchanter Chromatic Haze procs). They kindof came out of nowhere so I know many people on Live servers were taken by surprise and would greatly appreciate an update on that.
    Mediik, Olmstedder, Mintalie and 4 others like this.
  3. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I agree with Silv in both thanking you for the update and curious about the sudden changes mentioned in his post. I'm not trying to be annoying but there are many veteran players who are curious why we got such an abrupt and unannounced nerf that does have a detrimental effect on the Mage class while also hitting shamans & druids.
  4. Vaclav Augur

Are you considering exploring other additions for Progression rulesets in general? Or just for this project?

Seems like effort would be most productive shared if at all possible. (Although I will say, even though established on LJ - depending on tweaks it could easily be my preferred server with no other tweaks)
  5. Zaknaffein Augur

Because mages are extremely OP and needed to be taken down a notch and come back down to earth where they should be in relation to other classes in terms of power. That's the answer, but they won't publicly say that.

Mages are still doing just fine and are still one of the more OP classes at the moment in game. I'd get over it honestly and just accept that you were dropped from being able to top parses or at least be top 5 easily to now being top 10 or top 15 ( depending on raid class makeup on where you fall in the DPS totem pole in your guild.. and that thing called skill).

People aren't going to all of a sudden kick all the mages for wizzards now. Current mages are still going to stay in thier raiding guilds unless they rage quite over this. Mages are still a one man wrecking crew in the group game. If someone new to the game asks "what should I play" 9 out of 10 answers are still going to be Mage.

As to the actual Letter Holly wrote here, I am curious to see what becomes of a no box/bot server. I had been waiting to start up on RF when Kunark or Velious released, but may hold off now. I have 3 accounts myself and 3 box on raids on Live, but Classic server with out boxes or bots is somehow appealing to me, as I feel there is a lack of comradery in the last few TLP servers because one person cane be thier own group pretty much.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  6. squidgod Augur

Well, guess I'll quit wasting my time on LJ then if I'm just gonna start over in a few months.
  7. Mediik Augur

For those reading along at home.
    - We're still working on that Campaign thing
    - New Progression server. NO boxing.. no really
    - TLP Servers - Transfers will happen, We're fixing broken stuff
    - All Servers - We're gathering data to fix broken stuff
    - Thanks Guides!
    - We will bring you details.. later

Kinda underwhelming update, but thanks.
    Geroblue and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. furrykitty New Member

I'd love to play on a no Box/no Bot server. Just not sure I want to start over yet AGAIN...
    Shadow Magus likes this.
  9. Silv Augur

Then please explain why Wizard, Druid, and Shaman rains were all nerfed as well. Or is that also just to cover themselves so they can say it wasn't about Mages like you say it is? :rolleyes: That still doesn't address some of the other unexpected nerfs. Your speculation is appreciated though.
    Leezerd, Mintalie, Mayfaire and 2 others like this.
  10. Lifebane Augur

Holly, this is great news!! I figure now would be a good time to give input as to the features of this server:

• No boxing (YES, yes and yes!!)
      • Please ensure that there is a way to prevent virtualized computers from running all on one physical device. Or this would defeat the purpose and give some an unfair advantage.
      • Please implement code to break the use of (unmentionable 3rd party software) even if using multiple physical computers side-by-side.
    • Please consider instancing for this server. We're all much older now, and scheduling raids will cater to a much larger crowd than racing to mobs or raid rotations currently do. This is probably even more important than no boxing. It allows the working class to actually be able to play the game once they hit level cap.
    • Some would like to see krono go. Although, if there is no RMT box crews, I don't see these as a huge issue.
    • Please make these servers a flat time-lock and not voted upon in any way. Voting is a great feature when asking the community to implement features, but a recurring vote on unlocks only causes a ton of issues and complaints. Personally speaking, I would like to know what the unlock schedule is ahead of time, firmly in place, with no voting. 3 months per xpac is perfect.
    • This last one may seem far fetched, but I'd like to request it anyways. Beastlord is my favorite class. Any chance we could see BST and BER unlocked from day 1? :)
    I'm excited to see this announcement, as it has so much potential. Looking forward to hearing more.
    Thank you!!
  11. Zaknaffein Augur

Shaman heal rains, as much as I love my healers and staying alive, I gotta admit were pretty OP. Looking at heal parses you can kinda tell just how OP they are as a warrior tanking most of Arx stuff, and comparing just sham ae heals to what clerics and druids were doing with just focusing on me with single target heals.

Druids? I box a druid on raids and Never used rain spells in my DPS weave. I just stick to the 3x Kolos and the Fire dot on refresh. I have the belt from arx wich kinda helps that weave a bit more but I recall parsing in hall and finding the 3x magic and 1x fire dot worked the best.

Wizards I have no idea, though from what I've read this really didn't effect them all too much.
    Friday and Crystilla like this.
  12. Uumdano Augur

Casting my vote for a box server but no 3rd party software. Will there be a pnp?
  13. Symbius Augur

If all of this happened, it may be the greatest server ever.
  14. Silv Augur

It should be a double-launch again. One no-box server and one no-box+instanced raids server IMO. I'd still say do load-balancing on each though.

I love how they are considering doing massive code re-writes to make a no-box server but still won't consider an instanced raid server after all the outcry. The logic applied to new TLP lately is interesting to say the least.
    Rhiyannon and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  15. Soraia Journeyman

Add "no mercs" to that new server's ruleset and it's my dream server. Where can I sign up?
  16. Yvix New Member

By the time mercs come out you will want them. It will be dead as disco.
  17. Stokjokr New Member

I can't imagine there are enough people to populate a no-box server. I'm not so sure this is a smart idea, DBG...
    Motherlee likes this.
  18. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Anti box code is not "one character per house". It's one character per computer. If you have 3 computers on your desk, you can still have 3 bots.
    Lemuelbaruch, Jordis and Fallfyres like this.
  19. Kinadorm Augur

I hate to see a bunch of code time spent trying to solve a complex problem like no bots/boxes for a single server when they could be working on new features for the core game instead.
  20. Metanis Bad Company

I was going to be all snarky about a no-box special rules server. Let me just ask Holly how she intends to entice clerics to play on it?
    Kegwell and Motherlee like this.