Find a new way to check if people are AFK

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Reece, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Tarrin Augur

You aren't allowed to be AFK while having your toons play the game. Sending tells is the most often used format for determining AFKness.

Do you have another suggestion on figuring out if a person is AFK botting?
  2. Tarrin Augur

I don't believe an out of range message shows up for people other than the caster.

A 3rd party (guides, for example) wouldn't see a healer trying to chain heal despite being out of range. Merely one standing still.
  3. Mezrah Augur

Hmmm

A good point, no idea what information could/would be captured, though I suspect there should be some client / server communication to determine range, surely it can't all be done client side?
  4. Tarrin Augur

I am honestly not sure what level in the hierarchy you'd need to be to potentially see in game messages that only pertain to a particular toon ( out of range messages, for example ). No clue if a guide could see that information. I think the current iteration of guides don't have that power. They might be able to create a way for them to acquire it. But at the same time whenever we the people feel something would be easy to implement, we are often wrong.
  5. Imak Augur

No, apparently its the only method. It warms my heart that my account can and will be terminated for not responding to a tell from some name I don't recognize. I generally don't talk to strangers IRL either, but I don't expect to be executed for ignoring them.

Nope, its not my place to figure it out for Daybreak. They have the ability to implement any number of monitoring solutions. All of which would involve considerably more fiscal expense than some volunteer typing /tt hello? so none of them will ever come to fruition.
  6. Tarrin Augur

Maybe I am weird. When I get a tell from a name I don't recognize I do a "/who all name". If it says "guide" or "gm" next to the name, then..well..I sorta know what is up. Crazy, I know.

Nope, its not your place to figure it out. It is just your place to respond to tells from guides/gms if they are checking to see if you are AFK. If you know you are in a situation that this may occur ( and honestly..everyone knows if this pertains to them )..then I guess you need to occasionally take an extra 10 seconds out of your day to respond to a tell. I know I am basically asking you to perform some amazing feat of strength, you just have to deal with it. I know you have it in you.
    Yara_AB likes this.
  7. Imak Augur

So, once again, as I stated in my initial post, where in the EULA does it indicate it is my place to do this? Surely if my account termination is dependent upon these conversations, there must be actual published policy .. somewhere. I am just asking where it is. I am not concerned with debating your opinions of my behavior and what you believe I should feel obliged to do in polite company.
  8. Banuvan Augur

I just have tell windows on my boxes. Since I cycle through them anyway when I go to cast spells I'll definetly see a big box on the screen. I may not respond immediately but i will respond. It may not be even on that character but there will be a response of some type. I guess those using third party software and having however many boxes wouldn't see this very much since they don't look at their boxes.
  9. Yara_AB Augur

You sure you don't want them to continue that habit but immediately initiate other routines which they most likely do? I do not believe that a /tell is their only resource of checking on folks. I think one could see that as a sort of "fair warning" to get your stuff together and stop doing anything that might possibly be bad because they might have been watching you for a while already.
    Would make me wonder if they even send a /tell, if they are pretty sure you are most likely not botting.

And you don't need it in the EULA.Just check the Rules of Conduct.

Sorry - but some resoning here pretty much sounds like someone has something to hide or tries to find out about how to best avoid getting detected.
    Rhiyannon and code-zero like this.
  10. Imak Augur

Oh look, yet another person who wants to lecture me instead of merely answering the one simple, straightforward, uncomplicated question I posed. I can phrase it a couple different ways if that will help: Where does it state I am required to respond to tells? Where is it stated that I am contractually bound to /who check any and all names that appear in my tell window? Where is it stated I am forbidden from ignoring tells?

Rather amusing, though, the way you pile all your self-righteous assumptions onto me and my gameplay, building up this conspiracy theory of yours, all the while completely ignoring my question (as doing so improves your view from atop that gleaming pedestal).
    Fastdefense likes this.
  11. code-zero Augur

How about if the Guide send you a tell instructing you to reply or be written up and suspended from the game? Talk about being sanctimonious. Guides and GM's are in fact authorized personel and have every reason to expect you to answer them even if it's with the time worn, "Do you know who I am?" or "I pay your salary!" ....maybe you could even try "I'll have your job!"

Bottom line, you don't reply and you put yourself at risk. I'm sure that if they'd like they could make a minor adjustment and make it part of the EULA. Would you be proud of yourself if they did that?
    Yara_AB and Rhiyannon like this.
  12. Machen New Member

From the very top of the Eula --

If a GM (or, now a guide) sends you a tell to verify you are actually playing, it is not responsible to ignore it.
    Yara_AB and Rhiyannon like this.
  13. Reece Lorekeeper

I think you read that wrong...
  14. Tarrin Augur

Fine. Don't respond to their tells if you are under suspicion of using automated programs. You aren't contractually bound to /who check anyone. You aren't forbidden from ignoring tells.

You just have to accept the consequences. If you are under suspicion of automation, and you refuse to work within the accepted parameters of showing you aren't..especially when what is being asked of you is a very very minor action on your part...deal with the results.

I don't care if the EULA doesn't specially mention responding to /tells of guides, because honestly that does not matter in the slightest.

Ball is in your court. If you feel you have some sorta ground to stand on should your account(s) be suspended because you couldn't bring yourself to take 10 seconds out of your playtime and respond to a tell from a guide ( and could anyone fill me in on what sorta tells they send? I would assume they drop some sorta hint of who they are/why they are sending the tell ) to show that you are not automating your play..then go for it. I would love to see how that plays out.
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  15. Fallfyres Augur

---------------------
    Hahahahahahahah ... like any number of the myriad of other changes they have made on this server were alllll published and immediately added in to the EULA? Naw...its covered under the "Other" fine print I'm sure.

Just answer the tells. And I'm sure those using GINA or, some 'other' method have a way to set up a trigger for tells on ALL THEIR WINDOWS.

Tripe.
  16. Machen New Member

Here's another answer for you, from the Daybreak terms of service:

Your membership is a privilege, not a right, according to the TOS you agreed to. If Daybreak wants to suspend or terminate your account for not responding to tells, they may--even if they don't include that as a specific rule in the EULA.
    Rhiyannon and Yara_AB like this.
  17. LittleBrumski Augur

Most botters aren't stupid. Sending a tell to them to see if they're AFK only warns them to get on the computer. I've noticed that bot groups will usually answer you within a few minutes during the daytime, but in the middle of the night they don't respond. Golly gee, I wonder why?
    Rhiyannon likes this.
  18. vardune Augur

Because they ARE dirty loot ₩h0res and dont wanna share. Cant blame them, we all want loot.
  19. Imak Augur

Gregarious chuckles to all respondents who have failed to provide an answer to my most basic question, yet still felt compelled to berate me and play rules-lawyer (while failing miserably to cite any tell-specific rule whatsoever).

I will answer my own question. Where is it stated I am required to respond to tells? No where.

Appreciate all the hostility.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And he can always create an audio trigger to go off on any tell. Plus GMs should be sending any tells to the toon doing the pulling.