Account security

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Elricvonclief, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Motherlee Augur

Just an update, Rinabots (my guildy) has not had his toon restored even though a month ago, they emailed him that they were going to.

Also, this is a warning about public WiFis. They are sometimes not secure.
  2. Elricvonclief Augur

Folks, this thread has devolved (my fault) into something I did not want it to be.

Please, I'm just asking for more security.
  3. Aergon New Member

I didn't see Roshen or someone else saying someone share his info, here is the proof, please point it for me, because no idea where that is writen.

Another thing about EULA, it is a kind of law but not necessarily will always be the same or punish 1 thing or other.

Laws can change because are wrong or because something better comes up, is a matter of time.

Only because licor was forbidden at some point not make it a good rule, just a rule.

Again, please enlighten me Bamf, i go and transfer to Firiona my toon, sell all my stuff. Why i delete my character if after that i will come here and ask for help for recover it naked?
  4. Aergon New Member

Sorry Elric for derail your thread, but in somewhere i wanna speak my mind and seems to be the administrators here close all threads wich talk about this stuff, why? don't wanna bad publicity? censor this will be worse for them.
  5. Elricvonclief Augur

Aergon, my friend, let's try to keep this civil, please.

We do not want Roshen or others to lock this thread.

Again, this is not a flame thread, rather simply asking for additional security.
    Mayfaire likes this.
  6. Rila Journeyman

And, how do you know this? If these individuals are indeed attempting to pull a scam, why not out them? Are you a Daybreak investigator? Do you have a close relationship with one of these individuals? If so, please share so that we can share in the "victims" public shaming... Or, are you just a troll trying to stir up bad emotions?

So, lets say a girl goes to her high school prom with a dress that is too sexy according to school administration policies. When she gets to prom, school officials tell her she is dressed inappropriately and needs to leave, and she does. While walking home, she gets kidnapped and sexually assaulted by a group of thugs roaming the streets. The next day, the girl goes to the police and reports the incident... Now, lets say you are the police chief, do you:

a. Investigate the incident and bring the rapists to justice; or
    b. Tell the girl that if she hadn't dressed so provocatively, none of this would have ever happened... and that there is unfortunately nothing you can do to help her?

Now, sure... answer "b" is an accurate statement, but how much longer do you think you would keep your job as police chief if you said that???

So, my point is this: Just because someone technically broke the school administration policies (EULA) - and I am only assuming this for the sake of argument - it doesn't mean they deserve to get sexually assaulted! (have their character stolen)
    Elricvonclief and Aergon like this.
  7. Bamf New Member

Did you seriously just use sexual assault/ as an example in comparison to a freaking online game?
    Aghinem likes this.
  8. Rila Journeyman

Yep, explain why the analogy doesn't make sense? You make a minor mistake and suffer a major consequence and then get no help...

Sounds pretty ridiculous when you think of a RL example, doesn't it?
    Elricvonclief and Aergon like this.
  9. Aergon New Member

I write only a few posts in this fórums from 2002, but this kind of situations make me be aware about what kind of people rules the game where we spend a great amount of time and money, and don't like what i am seeing..

I think i keep this civil always, but a thing is civil and another is remain silent about things i think are wrong.

I live in a country where people can be killed for think different but still try speak my mind. DBG read this and please begin to try fix problems with good will, be polite with your customers because are the base of your company. Be smart

I need to say i see some improves in Everquest, but another stuff is going down quickly, and CS seems to be 1 of it.
    Elricvonclief and ohmy like this.
  10. arbre Lorekeeper

I would imagine that analogy was the first thing most female players thought about when the term "legitimate hack" was first used. It certainly made me cringe.

DBG is simply going to close this thread if the topic continues to be about a former closed topic. Keep it to account security please and stop the personal attacks.

If transfers to FV were removed this subject would die. Whether its due to "legitimate" hacks, friends stealing from friends, players being stupid enough to use RMT services (surprise, those folks that cheated in game by selling you items, plats, PL for real money just ripped you off for more money ... and they seemed so honest!) or players scamming DBG, if the cash incentive isn't there it goes away. Then we wouldn't have to see those sad and disturbing posts.
  11. Elricvonclief Augur

Arbree, I couldn't have said it better myself! :)
  12. ohmy Elder

"responsible for the security of our own computers"
    @@
    Why do you think I'm trying to figure https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/c-end.223708/#post-3272527 out.

PS, logging into this site tonight, I got a webpage -
    Daybreak
    You have a successfully logged into the authentication service. For security reasons, please log out and exit when you are done accessing services that require authentication.

There was no way to exit the page except for killing the page, there was no way to logout.
    And that was just to log into the site to make my comment on your post. Using iPhone.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  13. ohmy Elder

Great news about your friend getting his toon restored soon! It does take time. Way to go Admin/Devs/GM's!

How would WiFi not be safe if you set up the router correctly:)?
  14. Aghinem Augur

No, it makes no sense. You just made an analogy with a pretty loose attempt to parallel a stolen account caused by the main account holder's own stupidity of sharing information to a female being sexually assaulted for wearing a provocative prom dress. You are literally comparing apples to oranges and your example was very offensive and simply not realistic.

I have repeatedly defined what a legitimate hack is, and have no clue why it would make you or anyone cringe. A person giving their account information and then loses their account is not a victim of a hack, they are a victim of stupidity. Legitimate hacking is when someone uses decryption techniques, malicious software, and forcible means to gain access to an account. Simple as that.

That is because people seem to have lost the grace of disagreeing in a civil manner; rather they opt to troll, launch personal attacks, make fun of people on what server they play on, make assumptions that because said people play on a server - they are part of the scam, etc etc.

Closing FV transfers will not solve problems. Not sure if people are even aware, but toons on these 3rd party websites are up for sale for many of the game servers of EverQuest. That is like trying to solve the US/Mexico border crisis by building a 12 foot high wall just in Southern California and leaving the other southern states open.

Congratulations on insulting a whole population. FV happens to have some of the nicest people I have met so I would appreciate if you keep those kind of comments to yourself.

My final thoughts on this subject matter are pretty plain...

There / is / such thing as too much security. Additional security measures potentially could put the very account holder at risk of losing their account simply because they cannot remember or retain information to get through the security they wanted put in place to begin with. I've seen this many many times over the course of 15 years from working on computers and network security systems.

If people want that additional security - go for it, I say make it an option for those who don't. This way everyone is happy.

FV transfers once again is not the root cause of your problems. Its a convenient target of blame and is a misguided blame. The root of the problems is the litany of people who are naive and trusting who choose to share their information with people they really don't know beyond the virtual realm.

The only viable solution I would see as fair for both sides is to have a 4-7 day lockout on the transfer to give the account holder time to verify if it is a authorized transfer. This way, if an account is being compromised legitimately - there is enough time to stop it; and at the same time - good players are not being punished for what others have done.
  15. Motherlee Augur

I don't manage Starbucks all over the country. I don't even drink coffee.
  16. Tweelis Augur

Something regarding account security and this entire tidbit. There's something called risk compensation. In a nutshell it means the more secure somebody feels the more risks they'll take. If we all of a sudden have 9 layers of authentication all of us will take our personal security so lightly we might as well post our user names and passwords on Allakhazam's website.
    Aghinem likes this.
  17. Mayfaire Augur

After having spent a few months now hanging out on these boards (more so than ever before), I am finally starting to understand now that some folks argue just to be arguing about something. :eek:

That is wholly absurd. You realize that, yeah? lol :p

Whatevs, as a multiple EQ account holder, with an excellent virus program, plus several forms of Malewarebytes, plus insano in the braino passwords, and as a person who knows better than to click open emails from unknown persons, and as someone who does not visit questionable websites, and as someone who does not use wireless, I would REALLY like additional security on my very valuable-to-me toons and I would also like to see transfers to FV CLOSED. Thank you to the devs for all that you do, and I would be willing to pay for this extra security - even an additional monthly fee. :D

<<<Why that request has to be met with finger wagging, tut-tutting, shaking of heads, and reams of unneeded (and borderline offensive as if we are all stupid jackholes who have never logged into the internet before) advice, is completely beyond me.>>> o_O
    Elricvonclief, beryon and arbre like this.
  18. Aghinem Augur

No - people just have opinions and express them. To have everyone agree on everything would be a bit too Utopian.

Additional security is best left as an option rather than force fed on people. Furthermore, with the level of personal computer security you proclaim to have with "insano in the braino" passwords; additional security doesn't do much for you other than give you that warm and fuzzy feeling of inputting an extra password or pin number.

I doubt many people will be with you on that boat.

Not everyone is as intelligent and has all the answers like you clearly do.
    Motherlee likes this.
  19. Khat_Nip Meow

No it absolutely should not be left as an option; not here or anywhere. All it does is encourage and allow the lazy to project their laziness into their own security and get pwned, as it were, and that could have far greater implications than may seem obvious at first.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  20. Aghinem Augur

I have never had an issue with my account; perhaps its because I have an insano in the braino type password and do not share my info with anyone - including my own family, so if I don't feel the need to add additional account security - I shouldn't have to. If people want additional security for themselves, more power to them - taking that option away though is too dictating; and it has nothing to do with laziness or apathy.