Raid zones instanced?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oshnappleton, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aneuren Tempered Steel

You already implicitly agreed that things are different with your snarky comment about guilds getting together secretly with DB to repeal the pnp policy. Don't try to back out now.
  2. Scyclone Lorekeeper

I wonder if we can Baker Act some of these players.
  3. Esper Augur

Wait, there were no dps races but there were sanctioned dps races? You do love to call people liars even when you are saying they are telling the truth in the exact same paragraph it seems.

What do you think the dps races on this server are? They seem to be GM sanctioned to me.
  4. Vaclav Augur

Please explain to me how that video you were quoting demonstrates anything of what you're saying.

What I'm saying is, is give me the closest to that old school ideal you're talking back - current isn't it - and at least instancing would give me trash to fight through with my friends and actually having to work the split versus 50+ people all trying for the highest damage they can ASAP.
  5. Vaclav Augur

Plus so many of them are instancephobes and claim they'll be quitting as soon as the game becomes "fully instanced with GoD" (Which isn't remotely fully instanced...) - they've already got an expiration date on top of that.
  6. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Pretty sure this is just a troll but I'll bite.

On Fippy, the pnp and engagement rules still existed. You couldn't just do whatever you wanted. I was on both sides of inter-guild conflicts there and most people (there are always a few) respected them. You couldn't just show up to any mob, anywhere, and dps race for the kill. You know very well that is not the case here. You know very well that there are no limitations on high-end raiding that existed when this content was classic. You know very well that how the rules have been changed drastically impact how raid disputes on this server will be settled. To suggest that people who want a classic Everquest experience need to essentially bend over is such a blatant distortion of reality that I don't really even know where to begin.
  7. sihpa Augur

PLAY WITH ME IM AWESOME!!!!

No thank you. I already have a peer group that I get along well with..

/beats you up and your friends

PLAY WITH ME YOU PATHETIC LOSERS!!!

I'd like to move away from this groundhog day scenario please.
  8. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Meanwhile these are the same people claiming that they have supported Everquest on the back of their box accounts for the past 16 years. I guess they just avoided instanced zones.
    nectarprime123 likes this.
  9. ngs1 Augur

One could also say you knew these things yet here you are subscribed to the game still complaining to the people that don't mind the status quo.
  10. Esper Augur

Not sure if anyone posted this yet:

Despite its advantages, instancing in MMOGs has been criticized. Brad McQuaid, lead designer of EverQuest andVanguard: Saga of Heroes (both of which did not feature instancing at launch), wrote an essay in 2005 arguing that instances can negatively affect the game's community, virtual economy, churn rate, and other factors.[3] In response to this article, Raph Koster added that instancing should be limited to situations in which the creation of a "pocket zone" makes sense within the context of the fictional universe — such as the holodeck in the Star Trek franchise.[4] One reviewer described the extensive use of instancing in Age of Conan as "[destroying] the sense of expansiveness an MMORPG should have".
    Fallfyres and Invictvs like this.
  11. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Did you repeatedly miss where DBG asked for feedback?

At least I'm here playing. Says a lot about who DBG should care more about, the people that play here despite the flaws, or those who claim they will be leaving once instancing hits.
  12. MaestroM Augur

No. It's like changing code or adding new code to a program so it runs differently in a way that lets more people have access to its full functionality rather than only the people who log on first and stay on the longest.
  13. Fallfyres Augur

------------
    *Still wondering why people are so fricking 'supportive' and understanding of DBG rather than directing a good chunk of the ire here at them for withdrawing reasonable enforcement and even changing what was commonly accepted as the PnP??? Why aren't people pissed the hell off at DBG management instead of players with a different gamestyle preference? Really.
  14. Vanic Elder

Yes I know, but your argument is different here. No one is backing out, stop being a lunatic and spouting nonsense off left and right. You and that Vaclav guy seriously have issues.

It's like one path gets answered so it's a constant change of what's being asked for. Either stick to your intial guns or stop posting, the flip flopping is worse than politicians
  15. taliefer Augur

if the raid scene took any modicum of work, youd have a point.
  16. Esper Augur

So there it is, the original designer who designed vanilla all the way to PoP was not a fan of instancing. When did instancing start? After he left in 2002.
    Invictvs likes this.
  17. Vanic Elder

Please explain how teh video represents Ragefire.
  18. Greymere Augur

Instancing of bottlenecks and raid content doesn't destroy a games community any more than 6 boxing does so you can play in a group all by yourself. If DBG is willing to ignore a far more detrimental element to a game community and profit off of it, they should be willing to do the same for raids. Though again I would prefer they first try and more dynamic zone solution and enforcement if/when a smaller segment of players monopolize all the content, since I have been largely happy with the effects of dynamic zones on the community thus far, and would prefer open world or dynamic zones to be the superior means of raiding and acquiring loot.
    Elkay and Aneuren like this.
  19. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Calm yourself. You made a serious mistake trying to make a point presupposing that raiding on this server is anything close to classic. I simply called you on it. That was your mistake not mine.

The raid scene here is nothing like it was in 1999. Don't even try. The class imbalances, player knowledge, data sets, it's all different. The more truthful members of your camp acknowledge it. So don't sit there and try to claim that it is somehow more classic to be forced to dps race or sock ( I mean you aren't saying that people wouldn't have to engage in these non classic tactics right?) than instancing would be.
  20. Aneuren Tempered Steel

What you quoted wasn't a question.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.