Understanding taunt and Aggro tables

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by DukeS0n, May 29, 2015.

1. DukeS0n Journeyman

Hello I have been enjoying playing my SK lately, however I don't understand the taunt Aggro system, sometimes I can hold a mob really well, other times my taunt fails non stop, what can I do to hold more Aggro so mobs stop running away any help is appreciated
  2. Koryu Professional Roadkill

This is part of a guide I wrote up, the section specifically on aggro rules. It was overall directed more towards Warriors, but the game's aggro mechanics are consistent regardless of the class you're playing. I think this should answer your questions.

Also, anybody feel free to chime in to correct me as needed.
    Wulfhere, Dre. and Hawklight Yandli like this.
  3. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Also, you can't really stop a mob from making the decision to flee. However, you can prevent them from physically leaving by snaring them with a spell or ability like Clinging Darkness which will cause them to slow down or not move at all, depending on how low their health is.
  4. moogs Augur

Brabble had one of the all-time best forum posts about the mechanics of managing aggro. Sad that I had to use the Wayback Machine to dig it up: https://web.archive.org/web/2007082...steelwarrior.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13856

It's post #7. It would be great to have this resurrected here on the official EQ forums.
  5. sojero One hit wonder

The first part of Tearsin's post is about agro, and may help if you have other questions that koryu's very good write up may not have been clear on.

Koryu, the only thing on there I saw that I don't think was correct was the life tap agro part, you only get it for the DD part, not the heal part, but I may be remembering incorrectly. Otherwise SK life taps would be insane agro :)

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7606&highlight=Agro
  6. DukeS0n Journeyman

Are there any addons available to help track
  7. Koryu Professional Roadkill

The Rain of Fear expansion introduced an Aggro Meter, which you can bring up from the EQ button (I don't think there's a default key combo for it). The Aggro Meter basically displays where you are on the aggro list as a percentage. If you are second on aggro and only have about half the aggro earned of the person who is highest, the meter will show that they are the current target of the mob and you are at ~50%. If you have the highest aggro earned on that mob, the meter will show you at 100% and it will also show who is in second place, as well as what percentage that person has built up to. The extended target window works in a similar manner, showing how much aggro you have built on each of those mobs as a percentage, but does not show who their current target is.

If you were looking for an "addon" that tracks the actual numerical values of aggro to see how much you or another person has, I am unaware of whether one exists. If it does exist, it is likely a third-party software that I do not recommend you download.
  8. Ravengloome Augur

Actually you can

A mob will not flee if there is another mob in range of it that it is coded to assist.

That mob doesnt even need to be engaged.
  9. DukeS0n Journeyman

Thanks for the info guys helps a lot
  10. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I knew it was technically false, but I was trying to keep it simple. Warriors get an AA called "Call of Challenge" for example that can prevent a mob from running or even cause an actively running mob to fight again, but it fails more often than it succeeds.
  11. Repthor Augur

thats only true if they are social to eatchother
  12. Bigstomp Augur

Useless AA unless you didn't buy the last rank when they added snare to it that makes it land on pretty much nothing nowadays.
  13. Ravengloome Augur

Omg my fellow halfling.

Reread what I said.

The coded to assist part covers what you said.

Zomg its like you don't even read.
  14. Repthor Augur

i need more drugs so i can mange to read the whole sentance omg =(. so many words to little time. working to many hours is makeing an impact . sorry about that
  15. Ravengloome Augur

Ain't no party like a Rivervale party, cuz a Rivervale party don't stop