Civil discussion about /follow

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Baeddon, May 28, 2015.

1. Naugrin Augur

Simply doubling or tripling the range would probably help a lot. It would give the following toon more time to slide off an obstacle before breaking autofollow.

the frame rates of the toons have quite an effect as well. There have been some posts about optimal configuration as others have noted.
    Felicite and moogs like this.
  2. Naugrin Augur

Hold the end key...quicker than spiraling.
  3. moogs Augur

No way? I'll try that.
  4. Naugrin Augur

Thinking back I may have moved that to the end key...not sure but regardless it is a movement command that you can set to a key lol.
  5. moogs Augur

I know before mouselook was a thing I used to use PageUp and PageDown to look up and down. It was terrible when trying to loot corpses on my Ogre.
  6. Uxtalzon Augur

Old world trees are made of velcro, too. All of them. T_T

I don't get why /follow can't just be "tether". The ability is already in game, Paladins get it and it's called Divine Call. It even yanks the mob to our backside for maximum inconvenience.
    Motherlee likes this.
  7. segap Augur

/follow is a client side feature of the follower. Anything dealing with mob/merc/pet pathing (or tethering) is server side. They could potentially treat you as charmed and take complete control from you when following, but that would likely put other restrictions on you while in follow mode.
  8. Uxtalzon Augur

Well, I've /follow'd many players off cliffs before, and thus I never follow anyone ever. I'd say it's always a risk either way. lol

Doubling the turn radius speed would be a nice step, helps prevent running in big circles because runspeed has vastly improved over the years.
  9. chris_the_mage Augur

follow has been terrible since 1999

stick has been nearly perfect since i remember first using it in 2001

lol @ everquest staff
    Motherlee likes this.
  10. rune00 Augur

Ouch BURN! /stick 5
  11. Aghinem Augur

I think RadarX has already answered this post saying that it is unlikely any changes will be made for Baeddon's specific play style and those who play like him.
  12. Zumbenn New Member

Apparently all of the people dumping hate on the OP have NEVER played Everquest 2. The auto-follow in that game is great, the following toons on flying mounts even make Z axis changes to try to stay close to the leader.

So for Daybreak devs (or moderators) to claim this only benefits boxers, then they are implying that EQ2 was specifically invented for boxers. Why else offer an awesome auto-follow from the same developers?

I agree with the OP. This is crap behavior from a 16 year old game still under active development. They obviously have source code for EQ2 and they know what it takes to make a good auto-follow.
    Motherlee, Felicite and Fanra like this.
  13. Kellaer Augur

They're two completely separate games. I don't think it is fair, nor realistic, to say that since EQ2 has good autofollow, that EQ1 should have good autofollow. EQ1 is a dinosaur in comparison.

I'm sure it can be improved to some extent. The cost of which is probably prohibitive. Of course, JChan the Master Coder surprised us before, with the overnight development of a queue for the game.
  14. moogs Augur

EQ2 isn't exactly a new game either. There's always a chance to improve a system. It comes down to priority in the sense of urgency, feasibility, and likely benefit gained.
  15. Sasrayk Journeyman

I tend to believe it is a matter of if someone could spend time looking at old code and figuring out a solution, whether there is time and resources to allow someone to do this would be the question. Everything about the game should always be "Is it time to try to improve the product? Can we try this?" RadarX's saying it is unlikely is probably correct...however this has been said so many times before with things that were deemed 'impossible', like larger bags/more bag slots, etc. I cannot say i know RadarX's thoughts as to why it is 'unlikely', but if its simply matter of that the company priorities are taken already by the currently smaller staff, we can only hope DayBreak becomes more successful with their break away from SOE and soon can hire more staff again. Code can be changed, matter of a talented individual to understand the mess of such an old game. We all understand priorities.

As for whether /follow should be improved, I see no reason why anyone would say it should not. How can anyone say they do not want the game to be better? Whether you are for boxing or not..this should not even matter to improve a game. I can be boxing my wife's character and have her on /follow or she can be actively playing and just holding our child while I run our characters to a camp spot, it still remains if it can be improved, it should (as time permits of course).
  16. Zumbenn New Member

I don't use any of the hacking software that can get people banned, but apparently those programmers figured out how to do it on the client side.

As for age of software? Big deal! My job involves designing and writing a software project that I was involved with from day one. It is roughly the same age as the Everquest code (i.e. predating the launch of EQ). I think I have a pretty good grasp of programming and software design. And I've had to rip out entire major portions of our project as we found vastly improved designs to use.

Good software is ageless, just like a classic car.
    Motherlee and moogs like this.
  17. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

My lord this is a thing of beauty - anyone else get a board chubby?

These forums are a much better place for you having said this. Radar for Prez!
    Dre. and Kellaer like this.
  18. Kellaer Augur

Found your problem.

The Tunare engine definitely has its flaws. Either way, neither of us can assume how much work, if any, is needed to make autofollow work well. Only the wonderful people at Daybreak can tell us that.
  19. Zumbenn New Member

LOL. I've only been waiting 10+ years for the answer. I mean, geez, it isn't like new workers have come and gone on the project or even that the whole shebang was sold off or anything. :)

Again, I stand by my statement: If the EQ hackers can get it working on JUST the client side, then it can't be ridiculously difficult.

To put it a different way: I would have expected /follow to work LOOONNNNNG before Merc's appeared in the game, or that new-fangled Advanced Loot doodad.

Perhaps we just need a financial incentive. I will pay Station Cash for "Improved Follow". The peeps that never use /follow don't have to pay.
    Motherlee and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  20. Battleaxe Augur

Radar is a moderator and his determinations may not be publicly criticized or debated. I shall do neither.

However what he said was:
    By this specific style I believe Radar is referring to the original post:
    [BA: heavily edited]
    As Axxius points out, with things properly adjusted there's no issue with /follow in fairly complicated terrain even if more than one toon is using follow at a time even while being controlled by a single player.

12 and one day 18 might be a different matter and maybe devs won't make changes to support that specific style which may not be named.