Daybreak, how about experimenting with nerfing PoK books?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateseeker, May 1, 2015.

1. Hateseeker Augur

Nerf the PoK books to keep that Classic travel feeling going a bit longer. Options could include:

1. Leaving in just a few books to main areas: 1 book to Classic, 1 to Kunark, etc.

2. Remove all books and put one main entrance somewhere difficult (Like Plane of Mischief's entrance is in Temple of Veeshan)

3. Devise your own idea

Depending on the options chosen, and depending on what people want, wizards and druids could still have PoK portals to increase their value as classes.
  2. code-zero Augur

Are you talking about crippling the travel hub for all live servers?
  3. Hateseeker Augur

TLP 3.0.

People keep saying Daybreak has the ability to segregate the database so I'm running with it.
  4. code-zero Augur

Why are you asking about this now? That makes no sense at all
  5. Numiko Augur

you do know that 95% of wizards and druids ran around anon back then and hated getting constantly harassed to port people right?
    Irbax_Smoo and Soltara like this.
  6. Hateseeker Augur

Even today people mention how PoK books ruined the game's travel. The time before a new "Classic Progression" server makes as much sense as any.

Ah, to have one's class be relevant such that you have such a choice...
    Fallfyres, MBear and Xanadas like this.
  7. Tarrin Augur

So at this point, people don't want a "classic" server, they want a "more time involved" server? :p
    Soltara and code-zero like this.
  8. code-zero Augur

What people say it ruined travel? And for the record I still run my wizard /role to keep from being bugged.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

For the server to truly be "Classic" cannot be achieved. Too much has changed. Putting right what once was put wrong, however, is within reach.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  10. Numiko Augur

Relevant? really? so druids and wizards only purpose in EQ is to port *you* around .. .. well there is another name I can add to my DO NOT PORT list.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  11. code-zero Augur

I was curious about the streaming thing and went on Twitch to see what EQ stuff might be on. There were about a dozen P99 streams going and not a one of them were doing much at all. Voice chat, FD while the necro pet kills something, sitting around, little if any real playing. I guess time is all they have and they want to waste it on the progression server too
  12. Hateseeker Augur

If you get "only purpose is to port ME" from what I said, then there really are no words with which to respond to such astonishment. Perhaps I should have said "keep a major class ability relevant", not the "class".

In any event, such is your misinterpretation that I'll go ahead and further explain that I might actually consider playing wiz or druid if teleports remained relevant; so I probably wouldn't need your port.
  13. fazool Augur

I think there should be a staggering penalty for using the POK books. Make people WANT to travel the great big world, port, take boats, etc.

Maybe use it like an AA where you can only use a book once every certain time-period.

Make the magic "wild magic" and it randomly ports you somewhere you don't want to go, wipes 1% XP, drains 50% mana, snares you for an hour, and makes you pass out from hunger.
    MBear likes this.
  14. fazool Augur

Speaking of which - will there be hunger? Will we have to actually get store and carry food and pass out when we don't eat?

Or will it be dumbed down with no risk or adventure ?
    Fallfyres likes this.
  15. code-zero Augur

What I see here are some people who are the MMO equivalent of the Amish only without the quaint and picturesque craft stuff to sell tourists
    Claudea and Batbener like this.
  16. liveitup1216 Augur

Good luck with this Hateseeker, but you won't find much support for this on these forums. Most people here want the easiest road, least effort, fast food style gaming.
  17. Hateseeker Augur

So, I went and did a google search for pok books "ruined" travel:

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/just-vote-no.184334/page-2

At least a few people in that thread directly said they felt it ruined travel, others possibly implied it. You posted in that thread though, I was surprised to see...so tell me more about how you've never heard of people feeling this way?

Why play progression then? Classic makes it even harder...I admit that I am a fan of instancing, and some folks probably see that as "easiest" road. But other than that I am all for long times to level, no instant travel, etc. I mean, EQ 1999 was too long, but modern games today make it far too short.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  18. Numiko Augur

I want to play the game over as it was ... not some modified version of how things

"would have been if I was in charge back then!!!!"
    Fallfyres likes this.
  19. Numiko Augur

You never passed out from not eating in EQ, all that happened was your manna and health regen slowed down... maybe you are thinking of some other MMO?
  20. liveitup1216 Augur

I honestly don't know. It's this weird half nostalgia, half people are conditioned by modern games to be able to be these one man super star armies that can do anything and everything in 30 minutes or less.

While it's cool to have those fast food games, it'd be nice to have some fine cuisine to dine on other than P99. Ah well.
    Fallfyres and MBear like this.