An Update & Announcement from Project 1999!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code-zero Augur

3. Daybreak opens a Daybreak Cash Shop on P99 :D
  2. Ziggy Augur

Just a quick note -- emulators no longer require titanium, the free to play version works just fine :)
    Fallfyres likes this.
  3. Mardy Augur

This is a good move. Personally I would never play on servers, but I'm happy for those that do.
  4. Trakkkkkk Lorekeeper

Go try to log into P99 with free version and let me know how that works out for you.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  5. Trakkkkkk Lorekeeper

My IQ dropped 17 points reading this. Everything you just said is completely false.
    SnapVine likes this.
  6. HJC0083 Journeyman

I've been wanting to try P99 for years now but haven't because I don't like breaking TOS. This announcement seems to pertain to the running of the server only, and doesn't mention the players at all. Can we assume that playing on a P99 server is completely OK with Daybreak now, or is it still technically against the rules? It would be strange to legitimize these servers without also legitimizing the players who use them. Maybe this is a stupid question, but I don't know much about this sort of thing and would like a bit of clarification. Thanks!
  7. Xanadas Augur

Haha you've finally seen the light. :) EQLive basically *is* inferior to P99, in terms of gameplay and immersion. Yes the client has evolved, and sadly, so have the philosophies for content. When people stream, it's because they want to share the gaming experience they're having with other people (and/or make a buck, but mostly the P99 streamers just love EQ). EQLive does little to draw a player into the EQ "world". The landscape of the game (figuratively speaking) has changed so drastically that the virtual world of EQ hardly feels like a virtual world at all anymore, and thus, people don't feel inspired to share that with other people.
  8. Espiritun Augur

No one else sees the long term business decision they made here.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Sure I do. They made an agreement to secure profits for the next progression server. After that they realize P99 will cut into that. Short term gain seems to be the game of the day. As for P99 folks suddenly subscribing to progression servers because P99 received official status I highly doubt it. I supsect Daybreak is looking at short term profits for EQ in general. Hope I am wrong but that is how I read it.
  10. Anglesy Elder

This.

I play both for different reasons. I have maintained my 3 subs even throughout periods where I've been way more into P99 than Live because I still support EQ and want new content to continue to come out and support to continue for years to come(can we say 20th anniversary anyone?).

I play P99 when I don't want to box and want to play old school early to mid game EQ that isn't button mashing and I don't have to play more than one character or rely on mercenaries. When I jumped into P99 and got into my first Orc 1 group in EC(a pickup group even! active players at all levels!). However, people forget how unforgiving things were back then- which I like at times, but I don't always have the time to invest in it. Jumping on for a few minutes to try to grind out a little xp can last hours due to terrible corpse runs(especially without sow at run1) and the such. This does however make it much more rewarding every time you ding, especially given the much slower(or much, much slower for hybrids) rate you gain xp.

I love playing on live at times as well, but for different reasons. I'm much more active on live and spend less time with my chat box and more time casting, attacking, using AAs, killing, progressing through content. Gives way more of that adrenaline rush and the big numbers look prettier when I want to feel like I'm commanding a powerful adventurer. I can also hop on with a set amount of time and know I can get something done, like an HA or a mission. Far less dependence on other players for simple things like travel. This, however, kills immersion to some degree and the world becomes much more empty between instancing and mercenaries and its extreme size due to 21 expansions versus 1.

I know I'm not the only one with active characters on both sides and I'd say that DBG has much to gain through recognition and even modest support could go a long way. As others have mentioned, a legitimate way to obtain the Titanium collection would be well-received and I'm sure many would be happy to pay for it. I'm sure that some of the coders at P99 wouldn't mind taking a look at some of the back-end notes from DBG's side as well. This community for Everquest as a whole is already relatively tiny in comparison to the rest of the gaming world, and bringing it together by extending this olive branch only serves to help it as a whole and continue support for the game. There are people who will never go back to live, I'm sure, but I'd be willing to bet there are significantly more current live players who would have no desire to return to the game that P99 has worked so hard to recreate.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  11. Rogean Lorekeeper

Heya,

I know you were probably looking for a response from a Daybreak Employee, but I've seen this question a few times so I went ahead and contacted the Daybreak Legal team to get their interpretation.

To quote the particular section in the Terms of Service:

This is the response I received:

I hope this clears it up.

Thanks!
    oleris and Fallfyres like this.
  12. code-zero Augur

@ Rogean, you want to post the source code to the trojan you download with your files?
    SnapVine likes this.
  13. Macel Apprentice

All I can say is, if it were not for P99 I would not be a paying EQ player today! I gave up on EQ for a few years, played on P99 and was HOOKED AGAIN! Now back gain paying for EQ... so yeah....
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. Soltara Augur

Would have voted for seasonal server if it were explained better. Was too vague to waste my vote on.

But it is nice to see the goodwill gesture toward p99.
  15. Happyfunball New Member

I am curious what this perhaps does for other "Classic" projects that have also been in the works for years and years but in the past have been stonewalled by SOE as being a legally recognized entity? I think most people know the one in particular I speak of. Would love for it to finally see the light of day, especially considering the original author's rather controversial stand NOT to launch his server against SOE's wishes at the time.

Honestly I think this is one of the best decisions Daybreak could make. P99 is a version of EQ they clearly do not feel they personally would like to host, and yet there is an already-established server that offers (more or less) exactly what a large contingency of former players wish to play. It does, of course, pave the way for Daybreak to a) use P99's coding efforts to launch a similar service housed by themselves, or b) apply a means by which to earn money directly from P99 players. I hesitate to say something like this would go over well with that community, but SOE's (and presumably also DBG's) penchant for cash shops would be an obvious path to them.
  16. Blankslate Elder

What's that smell?
  17. Questoften32 Augur

Wait are you just allowing the project or are your turning eq as a whole over to fans maintenance in the future, is this a step leading to that? This is serious.
  18. Impact New Member

So im reaching here, but since Daybreak is now honoring P99 , would you look into releasing or helping with the ones out there working towards an EQOA server?
  19. Fallfyres Augur

---------------------------

I feel somewhat curious at the about face; but generally I'm a glass-half-full person.
    The first thought I had was: DB is gonna sell the original discs (hopefully at a reasonable price point) and original EQ can be had by enthusiasts on the up and up instead of scrounging torrents, or choosing not to do that period.

If DB sells those its a win-win. Who knows, maybe they dug up a couple tractor-trailer loads of original product discs which turned over on some big rig in the middle of Lousiana (or Bangkok) and got wholesale'd to a mom & pop independent dollar store, who shoved 'em to the back of some near-empty warehouse meaning to try to sell those later. But then the mom divorced the dad, the kids all went to serve in the Peace Corps.

Now the littlest sister who isn't little anymore, has been sent to square away whatever was left to the children after one of the parents passed on, and voila! Several thousand still-in-the-plastic-wrap Titanium edition disc sets are being shipped and prepped to be presented in a huge mega-sale, woo-hooooo! (*See how that glass-half-full stuff works ^-^.)

More people who are interested in a slower or capped at classic/classic+Kunark/classic+Kunark+Velious/or classic+Kunark+Velious+Luclin/or classic+Kunark+Velious+Luclin+PoP, will be motivated again to play , and whatever objections that the P-1999 folks face from say, boxers, or such remains to be addressed, IF they want to. If not, their rules and set up seem very transparent which is a good thing. and you know what you're playing when you sign up there.

This change may possibly bring about changes in that volunteer organization as well, or provide an avenue for their staff to obtain funding to strengthen their goals as well. Who knows?

Let this not be a huge diversion right NOW because I very much still want to be told officially what the new EQ Progression Server which is about to be beta'd really IS GOING TO BE?!!

DB-- give it up! ^-^ Continue to get out front with the initial wave of customer interaction you're riding right now!
  20. Fallfyres Augur

------------------------------

Agreed genaro. I think this is at least garnering a bit of positive feelings (*Albeit with arms crossed *winks.)

There is also one other thought I'd like to share. While DB did sadly, let go employees, there are still some THERE. I would like to perhaps gently remind folks, that some of those still THERE may have a few unannounced/as yet unshared ideas or goals that they COULD NEVER HAVE GOTTEN THE GO-AHEAD FOR UNDER THE FORMER OWNERS. Now, some of what they kept to themselves because of professionalism in the corporate workplace, security of their "then" positions etc may very well come to the forefront now under the new ownership. I will be watching for it.

I've been in a number of companies myself which changed hands at the ownership level, and though there was some "reorganization", there was also a "show us what you can do to affect the bottom line"...and THAT opened the company to creative ideas, quiet-behind-the-scenes exchanges of information and an emerging new atmosphere that was very positive overall for that company in terms of the employees etc.

So, here's a *salute* to those still there, within the EverQuest staff, who weathered the prior Sony years and whatever limitations may have been imposed upon their creativity, ideas that perhaps couldn't be forwarded up the chain of command because - supervisor power-monger issues ;o) or any other number of reasons why some employees may have a storehouse of innovative ideas, of which, SOME may now actually emerge and come into play.

^-^
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.