An Update & Announcement from Project 1999!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roshen Brand Manager

If you've ever looked for people playing EverQuest on Twitch, you’ll often find fans playing on the Project 1999 servers (often referred to as just P99) and engaging with other members of the community via their Twitch chat. Project 1999 is a fan-based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project.

The guys running Project 1999 are passionate fans of EverQuest and our work, and we’re fans of what they’ve been able to accomplish with support from the player community. So, we’d like to bring you the following announcement from the P99 crew:

“It’s been an exciting year for Project 1999 and we have some exciting news we’ve been really anxious to share with all of you. As some of you may be aware, in the past there has been both confusion and concern over the status of Project 1999. We have recently entered into a written agreement with Daybreak Game Company LLC that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project. The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions. As a show of good faith to support the efforts of Daybreak Games, we have decided to reschedule our expansion release as to not conflict with the upcoming new progression server being released in the coming weeks. We would like to personally thank all the folks at Daybreak and acknowledge how awesome it is for a company to work with and embrace the creations of their fans. This is really something that’s unique in the gaming industry.”

To read the rest of the post, please visit the P99 forums.

We’re proud that the EverQuest community is one of the most passionate and engaged groups of players in the gaming world. We’re glad we were able to reach an agreement with the team behind the fan-based, not-for-profit emulation project as they continue to share their love of EQ with many.
    Kylatia449, Neeshka, Lenowill and 3 others like this.
  2. Numiko Augur

This mean people wont get their posts deleted every time someone mentions that server?

Oh and could daybreak lend them a hand with the launcher they use so my anti virus software stops thinking it is a Trojan all the time?
    Fooba and Irbax_Smoo like this.
  3. code-zero Augur

Congratulations on partnering with a gaggle of weird, "you're not having fun the right way" control freaks!
    Xanadas, Silentchaos, Marike and 4 others like this.
  4. Behee Augur

This is great news! We liked their but didn't stick around due to the legal issues (we assumed it would be shut down). Glad that they can continue, a lot of people like the old EQ engine.

Personally, I like the prog servers more even at the higher monthly fee.
  5. Goth Augur

bah i was banned less than a month ago for mentioning everquest in other words P99
    Irbax_Smoo and Silv like this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

That was before they had reached a "legal agreement". Till then it would have been against Daybreak's legal interests to acknowledge or support in any way P99.
  7. Numiko Augur

P99! P99! P99! :oops:

Ahhhhh!!! :eek:

[IMG]
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  8. Alexanders Augur

That's great news for all the folks over on P99 who have put so much effort into restoring and testing Everquest to make their emulation as close as they can get to 1999 status, even if it means a small delay in their expansion plans.

I wonder does this new written agreement get Daybreak any access to possibly using some of the work the P99 guys have put into their to bring back the old zones in future progression servers? I know that P99 runs all the original zones and to the best of my knowledge (aka from memory) they are pretty well done. Maybe not perfect but way better then revamped zones we have now. Original Freeport, Commonlands and Ro would be awesome for me.
  9. mackal Augur

I'm more wondering what this means for other servers
    Xanadas likes this.
  10. Milburn Pennybags New Member

As someone who played in an official capacity from Phase 2 of beta until a little ways into Luclin and then has only really come back for progression servers. I have to say... Daybreak you're doing all the right moves to bring me back into the fold. You probably have an idea of how much this means on a personal level but I can't begin to tell you how much respect I have for you guys. I by no means speak for everyone from the P99 community but I can safely say that this is one of the greatest days of our little communities life. Thank you all so much for taking this step with us. This entire project is a huge labor of love and to be able to come full circle back to the nest is really a monumental achievement.
    Roshen likes this.
  11. TelinDarkforest Journeyman

Thank you Daybreak! This is a good day for EQ fans. You've earned much respect from this announcement!
  12. Arazus01 New Member

^^ Couldn't agree more with the above poster. P99 is one the main reasons I still love EQ. So glad it is officially recognized as a fan creation. Makes me happy to know I don't have to worry about my characters poofing anytime soon! I have 4 kids, it's takes me a LONG time to level up, ha! Thanks to everyone at Daybreak for this.
  13. oleris Elder

I knew something was up when you answered a question from Rogean on Monday's twitch stream.... just makes me sad that I have to wait longer to play velious on there..... :(
  14. Nifft New Member

Nice move, Daybreak! It's good to see a fan effort like this recognized not as competition, but as homage...
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Roshen,

Can Daybreak provide an official online download of EverQuest Titanium (required for Project 1999)? You could charge a fee.
    Siffums, Shallizar, Wayylon and 4 others like this.
  16. Trakkkkkk Lorekeeper

As somebody who has played years on both servers, I very much like this idea. It's a 'thank you' to official EQ for giving us this platform to play on.

Id buy it in a heartbeat
  17. Ziggy Augur

You've been waiting for 3 years for Velious, certainly another month wont hurt -- I think on their wiki they said it could use more testing :)
  18. DBCooper Elder

19. fazool Augur

Not to be negative but doeesn't this basically advocate playing on other servers and not on DBG TLP servers?
  20. Jmitch Lorekeeper

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of collaboration we have between P99 and EQLive in the future, the possibilities are endless.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.