New Progression Server FAQ and Upcoming Poll Details

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Aristo, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Drathus Augur

In the two months we were camping hate, we killed seven Magi P`Tasa before he popped with the staff. Also, there are 10 mini spawn locations without PHs in hate. What spawns in them is totally random. From our observation, some minis seem more common than others - Spite being the most common, then Loathing and Scorn. If the staff dropped 50 to 60% of the time then you would be correct that about 4 would enter the server per month, but we did not encounter that. Our drop rate was 1 in 8. If you look at the drop rate on Magelo, it lists the staff as a 14% drop on Magi P`Tasa in 35 kills and a 2% drop rate from the male forsaken revenants - 8,762 kills.. This is in line with what we experienced. A 1 in 8 drop rate puts it at around one staff drop a month - average. With the minis being completely random for every spawn location, it's possible to get 10 Master of Spite in a row, or even 10 Magi P`Tasa. However, that chances of that happening are next to zero.

Also, if pets are considered an issue on the server, then they should be adjusted.

You also have to remember that the base spawn rate of trash in PoHte is about 14 hours +/- and there is a limited number of each NPC type that spawn each cycle.
  2. Bigbear Augur

so u like the drama... but i dont
  3. Drathus Augur

Please link where this was stated. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'd just like to see it.
  4. Kellaer Augur

I like the chase and the way good loot actually means something. You know there are a few people out there that are going to 18+ box and farm Nagafen and Vox over and over again if they get instances, making dragon loots pretty much nothing special, right?
    Fallfyres likes this.
  5. Tudadar Augur

You got unlucky. The 14% drop listed isnt accurate at least in this version of hate. Maybe in another version. Id personally say I experienced more of a 1 in 2 for staff but gave 1 in 3 to be fair.

I also doubt its 2% drop rate. Im sure it counted lots of those kills on vulak+fippy when they had no chance to drop it.
  6. Bigbear Augur

while that is true that a 18+ boxer could do that. if one guild locks down all the raid targets then how is the dragon loot special if you never get any for ur own toons

like i have said many many times... i dont raid but the drama of having non instanced raiding doesnt appeal to me either

if i did raid.. why would i want to run around looking for a raid mob to kill for two hours to then find out that some stupid guild killed all the targets just like they did last week... makes no sense to me
  7. Vaclav Augur

Depends entirely on the timeframe set on their reset, really. Not that most of the stuff is worth a damn after the next expansion opens anyhow. Even most NToV stuff is replaced by low level raids in Luclin for crying out loud.

The "nothing special" argument only really applies to RMT value and nothing else to anyone that's actually familiar with this product.
  8. Drathus Augur

It's exactly accurate for our experience.
  9. Elthorien Elder

raiding is what has totaly destroyed everquest , im all for anything that nurfs raiding or removes it, or does not have those uber elitist power gamers interacting with me at all.....
    Bigbear likes this.
  10. Tudadar Augur

You got every ptasa that spawned in the supposed 16 hours almost every day that you were supposedly there? Didnt miss any? Its not hard to tell if you miss a ptasa that has a staff when the mob has it equipped it he has it. Im pretty sure there were more then 3-4 epic staffs on vulak/fippy when kunark was released. A lot more.

I remember one raid getting 2 in a couple hours one day on vulak. Also remember more often then not on patch days ptasa was holding earth staff.
  11. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

Hmm, I swear I read this, but can't find it now. If anyone can find a dev post specifically stating Harbinger of Fear is not on the new TLP please link, or if a dev can confirm please confirm. Or if I'm crazy call me crazy.
  12. Kellaer Augur

Lol. Those nasty, evil raiders [IMG].

You can play on Trakanon. Nobody raids there. Nobody does anything there, actually.
  13. yukan Augur

Thank you all for the update. It's impossible to please everyone and despite the criticism you are receiving from a lot of people, you are giving valid reasons for why you are doing what you are doing. The newbie zones being instanced for overcrowding is a very solid move that should alleviate some of the chaos that will surely ensue on the opening of the server.

But the biggest issue to me that I did not see addressed is how to handle the overcrowding for raiders. I enjoy raiding, it's why I play. But the large number of raid capable guilds and limited content will drastically limit anyone but the most cutthroat guilds who are able to get people on 24/7 from ever having a chance to kill any noteworthy raid mob in era. This is not a good environment for the casual raider and definitely not for the community as a whole.

I led a raid guild on Fippy for years, so I am very well versed on what is going to happen, and if there is nothing done at all, it is going to be complete and utter chaos. There simply is not enough raid content to satisfy the number of raid guilds there will be on the server, and if nothing is done, people will get frustrated, unsubscribe and move on.

You answered the hoards of people asking for instances with a no as to why you can't do it, and I'm glad to know it's not possible in the timeframe you're looking to open the server. But my question is what will be done to handle the massive number of capable guilds battling over limited trivial content?
    Cloudous likes this.
  14. Bigbear Augur

they answered this as well for raiders... roshen has said that WE worked it out back in 1999 so WE can work it out again. of course its not 1999 so WE wont be working anything out and i hope WE enjoy the chaos
    Fallfyres likes this.
  15. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

This is the only thing I don't like.

I like old content as much as the next guy.. But I'd rather not take 2 years to get anywhere.

Why can't we vote to start at Classic, Kunark, or Velious and go on from there normally? I would like to start Kunark or Velious for a more diverse lvling choice and more raid content so 1 guild doesn't just keep it all. But not if it means I'm going to be stuck doing the same thing for over a year
    ZamaX likes this.
  16. Kenvaryen New Member

There were missing mobs on Fippy and Vulak for the Iksar khukri and cudgel quest lines, I think they were in Droga. I recall that these quests were broken when Kunark originally launched and maybe the mobs weren't there in the original population. Can we expect to be able to complete these quests in era? These quests are a source of immense nostalgia and the results are about equivalent to an epic 1.0.
  17. Vaclav Augur

Oakenn: People voted for longer (total) Progression - so cutting off time off the total trip would be against the will of the people.

However I would suggest smoothing out how the "extension" was applied to the Pre-GoD timeframe versus their lump added to the 1st unlock they've pitched. i.e. in a hypothetical scenario that was voted on that was 3/3/3/3/3 if it opened with the first two already unlocked it would be 9/3/3 - if it was smoothed out it would be 5/5/5 - same total timeframe, just no "holy crap that's a long time" length unlock.
  18. Drathus Augur

We were on Fippy, and we pulled each Magi as he spawned. It was not a case of finding a magi up that a raid left because it didn't have a staff in his hand. We killed 8 before he dropped the staff. It is possible a Magi spawned when we were sleeping, but it doesn't really matter. We never stated that the one staff that dropped for us in two months was the only staff that dropped in that time frame. It was the only Magi that spawned with a staff for us in two month while camping Hate for 16 hours a day. The problem with the Earth Staff and also a few other items like Soul Leech being so rare is that a few classes are pretty much excluded for getting their epics. The problem is enhanced when a specific class has multiple items that fall into this category. I will not even go into the drama we encountered in South Karana trying to get the Pegasus Feather Cloak from Quillmane. An item from a completely random supre rare spawn that everyone on the server wanted.

The magician epic also has a long cast time with only one charge. The epic itself has a 5 minute cool down and takes a permanent spell slot. At best you can have one pet die and then cast another from a recast epic. You cannot chain epic pets.

The issue with pets on the TLP wasn't related to the pets being over powered. They were fine in the group game. It was due to large groups of magicians being able to chain earth pets one after another - essentially having unlimited tanks. This was the problem. And on any raid target that didn't have a strong enough AOE to dwindle down the pets around it was a prime target for pet chaining. I saw groups of 6 mages take down Minis in PoHate, and larger groups of mages take down raid targets. However, this tactic started to die out with the release of Kunark and the introduction of bosses with nasty AOEs. You could put 6 mage pets on a boss and they would all start dying at the same time.

With the vote upcoming for what expansions are going live at start, I'm guessing that EQ + Kunark is going to be the popular vote. Kunark has a huge amount of content for sub level 50. A big problem we experienced with just original release was finding places to exp at level 45 to 50. Goblin island in OOT was great if you were ahead of the curve, but where else do you go? Sol B and Lower Guk was always empty of NPCs. Releasing Original and Kunark together will eliminate many issues and spread out the population . There are also a few sub 50 dungeons I'd like to experience while at the actual level they were designed for - Kurn's Tower, Crypt of Dalnir, Kaesora, City of Mist, and probably hit Charasis and Howling Stones at 50. With the release of Kunark and Kunark raiding, pet chaining is less of a problem.

And the point is, if something needs to be done about pets - like making them cost more mana so chaining is not an option, or making them have a super long cast time - then do it. However stating that he mage epic should be harder and fewer in existence than other classes epics is not the answer. And as I stated above, the magician epic can't be chained.
  19. Numiko Augur

But classic dragon loot is junk, that will be all quickly replaced by better group gear items from Kunark, maybe epic bits and the the haste items will be used for more then a week after Kunark opens, and that will only be useful for a few classes..... most of the dragon drops will rot or be for sale in EC after the first few kills.

oh wow look! two more Warhammers of Divine grace dropped!.. any one want one?...
    anyone?...
    Bueller?
  20. Tudadar Augur

Its not all from just chaining the pets. The dps of the pets were also overpowered. A epic pet has a 50 pt DS and huge DD proc along with 4kish unbuffed hp while hitting for like 80ish and stunning non raid mobs. Id think people would actually heal the pets for the extra epic pet DPS. Do you think many classes can compete with mage epic DPS in kunark?

Also I remember people farming quill cloaks to sell loot rights. They werent that rare with lots of people knowing how to spawn them.