The only question should be how long.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Litoeon, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Litoeon Lorekeeper

You actually do NOT want to relive 1999 - the way EQ was released. Things were all changed for various reasons from year to year. 99' was 16 years ago. That train is long gone my friend. Play the game the way it is now or wait for the TLP server to unlock.

Seems to me you contradicted yourself in your very own post though. The only question should be how long? Sure, I wholeheartedly agree. Then you ramble off and say "Let's get an official 99' server". Well, to do that you have to make TONS and TONS and TONS of drastic changes to even get remotely close back to 99.
    Sorry got my **** caught in the blender, instructions were not clear!
  2. Trevalon Augur

....Why do people go onto forums and try and tell people what they do and do not like.

Sorry to burst your bubble man, but there are literally a ton of people willing to play on a 1999 server.

Please don't tell people what they want or do not want to do especially when the possibility of doing those things exist and its been proven that people do want to do those things.

P.S. whether I agree or disagree with the OP doesn't matter, I am just responding to the quoted post.
  3. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Personally I kind of like doing the Temple of Sol Ro quests and raiding Fear, Hate, and Sky, so I don't agree with OP.
  4. Finchy Augur

You couldn't be more wrong. I was there when everything went live. i've played from the beginning. I know how the game was then, and I would give just about anything to do it all over again. The first few years of me playing EQ were arguably some of the best memories of my life, right up there with having my daughter and getting married. I've always thought it was a once in a life time opportunity, but if there was a chance to play it from day 1 over again, you bet your I would be there in a heart beat.
    Machen likes this.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

If they were going to go to the effort all that would require, it would be much better spent on instancing.
  6. Finchy Augur

I can respect your opinion on that, but one of the best times I had raiding old school content was the contested aspect of it. Fighting over getting to a raid boss before other guilds made it that much more competitive.

I guess I just don't understand why people would want a new progression server with current aspects of the game, when you can simply start new characters on existing servers and do the same thing. A true progression server, in my opinion should mirror exactly what EQ was 16 years ago.
  7. Itzmatt86 Elder

Unfortunatly opinions are like holes... and we arent talking about donuts. So compromises are made. You favor corpse run, i oppose. So in the interest of monetary gain research is done on the player base. In this case it takes the form of a poll. What it comes down to is 1 of the 2 opinions gains more votes, which means that option is more likely to generate more revenue. In this case corpse runs lost. comes down to economics.
  8. Hateseeker Augur

That's just it - you don't fight over it. We've had debates up and down and no one can show that there is any skill or strategy involved in a guild's ability to get there 12+ hours ahead and wait, and if it came to a fight, in the Classic era either one guild would have yielded to the guild that got there first, or a GM would have been called in to enforce applicable play nice policy. I'm pretty sure one of the reasons SOE knew instancing had to be brought in by Omens was to reduce customer service load. Seems paradoxical that Daybreak would want pursue classicity knowing the GM involvement isn't on the table. Not, of course, that GM enforcement is a good thing; better to have a sufficient automated system in place.

Note: I'm not disagreeing with you on your points as to all the other things; as they are completely separate.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

10. Finchy Augur

I think this is pretty much obvious to everyone reading/paying attention to what's going on. At no point did I mention otherwise. I'm simply saying I don't understand the concept people have on wanting a new progression server with current mechanics, when you can just simply start over on an existing server.
  11. Finchy Augur

I get it...but let's think about it. The groups of people that used to do this 15 years ago, there is a good chance they don't have the ability to camp out for 12 straight hours anymore for those raids. I'm sure there will be people that would try to take advantage of the contested areas, but again it was apart of the game. I really don't think we would see as much of it as you think.

I know votes will be cast and the new progression server won't be 100% like it used to be, which I will never understand, but I felt the need to express it.
  12. Lron Server Legend Augur

Yeah I actually dont like the way anything in this thread is being discussed, and it is against forum rules to mention any server, so to the OP i would edit that out.

With that being said, it really is a creepy/odd/bizarre way to argue with someone when you try to tell them that they do not know what they really want and YOU know what they really want more than they do.

We do want a server that is classic and as close to EQ was back in 1999. This isn't up for debate man....there are servers that have consistent 1500+ people on them (more than any current eq server) and it is as close to the way EQ was in 1999 as possible.

So to recap....this is not up for debate, you do not know what people want more than they do and this argument is getting very tiresome, I have been hearing it for 12 years and there is objective proof that thousands of people actually really do want this....stop using this ridiculous argument, it makes you look insane.
  13. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

yes. we should go back to stigmatizing troll shadowknights for slowing down group exp gain with their 30-40% experience penalty, 1999 era class balance, not being able to purchase stacks of items, 20 minute downtimes looking at your spellbook, and having pets wipe your raid by existing in proximity to something. Everything about classic EQ was super good and change was not needed.

Fact of the matter is, theres been too many QoL changes in EQ to bring it back to 1999 era, and we're better off for it.
  14. Lron Server Legend Augur

If instancing would have been profitable, they would have done it. But yes, they are not going to use any effort or resources to make the game classic either and yes that would be wayyyy more challenging than instancing....but they have said they are not doing instancing so this is really just pointless.
  15. Lron Server Legend Augur

Server numbers prove the company is not better off for it, sorry.
  16. Machen New Member

There isn't. There can't ever be. If EQ was seriously the #1 event in your life, ever, it's time to get over it and move on.
  17. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

explain to me how experience penalties and pets being a raid liability help subscriptions, or help the game as a whole. because im really interested to hear this. What makes not having chat channels or a raid window allow for a superior game experience? What makes the vestigial stamina system so good that would bring people back to the game? customizable UI? maps? Guild management window?
    What would the purpose be of removing all of these features, outside of regression for the sake of regression?
    Hateseeker likes this.
  18. Machen New Member

Yes. It is 100% completely SOE's decision making that has affected subscription #'s. WOW had absolutely nothing to do with the current EQ server #'s. Nor did any of the 1000's of other MMORPG's that have launched since 1999, 999 of which gave players more reward for less effort. There is only one metric that mattered, and to heck with any other considerations
  19. Lron Server Legend Augur

Im glad you are finally coming around.
  20. Lron Server Legend Augur

Those are not things any classic player ever talks about when they list the reasons why they left current EQ or why they loved classic EQ so much. Thats my point, you are picking out things that didn't define the game for us like, broken classes or racial experience penalties, and then saying that if we don't mind if broken class mechanics are fixed or if there is racial experience penalties, we dont want classic. I really didn't mind my hybrid experience penalty, I never knew I had one, I just played the game but I have never once mentioned "wow bros, without that hybrid experience penalty, this game would have sucked."

The chat channels did ruin a part of EQ but it was more the bazaar that did that. Chat channels after the bazaar make total sense, chat channels pre-luclin take away from players gathering in a zone and selling items. So I actually do consider that a relatively important aspect of EQ that I loved.

I am also not saying that the game wasn't improved in certain areas. Even with the worst expansions that broke lots of things we loved about EQ, of course certain things were "fixed" as well.