Classic EQ suggestion

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kullex, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Kullex New Member

It has come to my attention that although these new progression servers seem great to many, an equal amount of individuals hate the ideal. So i suggest why not make a server where it's up to luclin xpac and nothing else. Nothing will ever come after it'll always be just up to luclin or PoP like set a solid marker so people can enjoy the old game without having to rush through xpac-xpac dont gotta worry about scheduling, will just have some good old fashion fun as they go. Because some of the xpacs no offense, where really boring and obnoxious while others people never wanted to end! so basically im just curious why not take a poll on which xpac people like to play the most and dedicate a server strictly to that xpac go up to that xpac and nothing more!
    Zoggzog likes this.
  2. Hendar2 Augur

Well they already took a poll on locking in general, and that lost out.
    Blingx likes this.
  3. Kullex New Member

idk i just think it'd be more beneficial if they had one
    Zoggzog likes this.
  4. liveitup1216 Augur

To no one's surprise considering the poll targeted people currently playing EQ still. You can't get an accurate poll result if your target audience is largely biased.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  5. Irbax_Smoo Augur

I don't understand why they didn't have a locked server on the poll to begin with. I wouldn't play a main toon on it, but there is obviously a desire for that type of server. If there wasn't, things like <Insert Name of Any Player Run Server Here> wouldn't work.

The only things I have read - on other forums - when they drop in population, was due to a lot of shady politics from those running them.

Wouldn't it be great for those players to find a home, without the shadiness of nepotism? I would do it just for the profits I could get off of that concept and capitalize on the failures of shady politics with no GMs being involved.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  6. Zoggzog Elder

7. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

Am I missing something? I thought that there was a locked option? I think it was phrased as stops progressing after a certain expansion.
  8. Blingx Augur

I think Irbax meant, from Prog1.0? Correct me if I'm wrong though.
  9. Irbax_Smoo Augur

Nope, you're right. I'm not sure why I thought it wasn't on there.

I do think they polled the wrong people, though. Considering the people most likely to play on it aren't playing "EQ" right now.
    Zoggzog and Kullex like this.
  10. Blingx Augur

I may not be typical but...
    I wasn't playing EQ before they announced the server.I stopped in Prog1.0
    I check the forums from time to time because it's over due for a new progression.
    If people that have played EQ wanted to play on a progression server wouldn't they also check back infrequently?
    The people most likely to play on it are those interested and those interested would be those that check on it. Once a person finds out, they would tell their friends(other EQ vets who may not check back infrequently) and even convince new friends(never played EQ) to join them.
    I think the majority of people who would play on the new server already know about it.
  11. liveitup1216 Augur

I check back and goof off here and there on solo chars or player enforced progression guilds. Last prog server I gave word to 5 RL friends who gave up EQ long ago that subbed for Fippy til it went past PoPish. They had no clue because they don't check, and still don't.

This time around with the new polls I have those same RL friends plus maybe 3-4 other people waiting to start up again. They are all, like myself, disappointed there isn't going to be a locked server but are going to settle for a slow server again until it once again passes that same level era.

That's 7-8 people I lazily got back solely for old-ish EQ that would otherwise never know or be heard. Now I know it's a lot harder to reach out to this player base, but it adds players to the community rather than getting people who are already here to pay a little more for boxes or sub for a little while instead of FTP.

This is all a great start and I love we're getting another TLP, but it's a staggeringly large missed opportunity for DBG and Everquest in general.
    Blingx likes this.
  12. Blingx Augur

This is exactly what I was referring to. They advertised here and people passed it word of mouth, that's all it takes. New people that have never played EQ and without friends in EQ aren't going to pick it up because a "progression server" is launching.
    On that note: a progression server is not a good place to start as a new player. The behaviors in dungeons, the crowding, the waiting is not representative of what Everquest is. They would be better off playing in a 'progression' guilld on a Live server.
    liveitup1216 likes this.
  13. liveitup1216 Augur

Precisely. TLP's are a good gimmick for existing players. For literal new-to-EQ players and to reel back in old players (effectively new since they do not currently subscribe or even play) a Locked server makes the most sense.

Untapped market, a learn at your own pace tutorial-ish server with an actual bustling community in the old game, and just throw in the option to transfer off to a live server or TLP.

With a little effort there's much more potential for long term revenue than just another gimmick progression server.
  14. Blingx Augur

They can't really have a poll for people literally new-to-eq. What would they ask?
    Do you want a server which is locked at Velious/Kunark/Luclin/etc.
    A new player wouldn't be able to answer this or any poll about the game

Edit: Sorry they would be able to answer it, but the answers would be meaningless because they wouldn't know what it would mean to lock a server at X expansion.
  15. liveitup1216 Augur

I don't mean they should be polled, but it's definitely where they should be directed to.
  16. Blingx Augur

My opinion is that if they did want to attract an actual new crowd of players they would be forced to open a new server that is almost literally a totally different game. Otherwise you will have try-hards and hardcores rolling on the server for the advantage which would be a detriment to the server. At least on a, we'll call it 'new server', the competing players would be on the same floor when they hit the ground. They don't have dev power for this though so that defeats that idea.

I don't see how they can attract new players otherwise, except to have current/old players recruit friends.
  17. Lron Server Legend Augur

Not to be a debby downer, but i have seen a dozen+ of these classic petitions in the past 13 years or so and it never has ended in us getting a server.

There is some kind of deep rooted aversion to creating one for some reason. The only reason that would make sense is that they think it wouldn't be profitable...that would be a decent argument 5-6 years ago, but now there is objective proof that there is a huge audience for a classic server.
  18. Skyward71 New Member

I'm just glad I get a chance to relive the nostalgia.. I think they are giving us plenty of time in each xpac.. the slower progression will be very good. I think everyone has their favorite xpac.. But if it's stopped at a certain one, then it will only be fun for a certain target audience.
  19. Frenzic Augur

I think it's more the gigantic amount of work that is required. It would take more dev resources to make a classic server than it would to push out a new expansion. Until the point where a new expansion makes less money than the classic server, not gonna happen.
  20. Hendar2 Augur

Probably true. SOE was always concerned about breaking the live servers when they made minor changes to progression. Imagine rolling all that stuff back to the classic era. Sure it could be done, but if they hesitated on the small stuff then I don't want to think about a true classic server.

DBG will roll one out the day they feel they can make more money than with other alternatives.