Flag to prohibit transfers to FV

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vrinda, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Vrinda Augur

Given the recent changes in customer service policies, as a fifteen-year subscriber on multiple accounts I think the game needs a one-time option that can never be revoked that would prohibit character transfers to Firiona Vie. Not an option that would allow those transfers, but one that would forever prohibit them.

Holly, will you please put this on your list of priority changes for the development crew? This isn't something that would take a great deal of development time, and it's clearly needed.

Thanks for your consideration.
    Mediik, Ferry-Tunare and Yinla like this.
  2. Rorce Augur

I'm not sure if this is the best course of action to take, but I agree that with the recent trend of account security issues that server transfers to FV need additional steps and/or verification.
  3. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Or just shut down FV, or the ability to trade raid gear on it if it's the only way to protect the vast majority of other players.

Most players prefer to earn their way, not buy it. That server just draws scams and bad actors, and their run down property is affecting our property values like a broken down car on the neighbors front lawn.
    Sheex, Silv, shik and 1 other person like this.
  4. Aghinem Augur

There is a lot of great people on FV, so please keep your near sighted opinion to yourself.
    Warpeace likes this.
  5. Vrinda Augur

I'm not certain it's the best course of action to take, either, but I'm suggesting this based on the assumption the people perpetrating the hacks and scams are doing it for monetary gain irl. DBG is telling me two things with this customer service policy change:
    1. Restoring characters deleted through accident or malice is a much larger time sink for their CS staff than I had any notion it was
    2. They refuse to take any responsibility for tracking down and eliminating (through IP bans or whatever mechanism) the criminals preying on their paying customers
    If there's no money to be made in hacking my accounts and destroying my characters, could a criminal still do it? Of course. I'm guessing they'd move on to easier and more lucrative targets rather than spending their days engaged in simple vandalism.

There are certainly better solutions than the one I suggest, however this one would take minimal effort from the development team if they're not willing or able to address it in a more comprehensive manner and intend to stick to their "too bad you got hacked and sorry to lose you as a customer" attitude.
  6. Khat_Nip Meow

A one-time option that can never be revoked is fine until the day comes when someone changes their mind and it becomes a whole other issue altogether.
    I'm not saying that something shouldn't be done about it but one has to keep the future in mind.
  7. Vrinda Augur

I don't disagree with your statement at all. On the other hand, isn't that remarkably like the current policy on refusal to restore a deleted character? "Yesterday I wanted to delete this character, but today I've changed my mind." Or, "Yesterday my account was hacked, a criminal paid you to transfer my toon(s) to FV, stripped and deleted my toon(s), and you refuse to restore it/them." Or even, "I thought I hit the Return Home button and clicked the confirmation dialogue box, but it turned out to be the Delete button instead."

If you're not sure, don't click the button. If you are sure - and I am that sure - go for it. It'll be like any other one-time decision you make in EverQuest.
  8. Scila Augur

I will say that I do agree that from what I have read on some of the other posts, something does need to be done to tighten up transfers and what appears to be going on. This is enough of a concern to the community, and with the new post indicating that characters will not be restored adding to the concern, I would like another option before logging in to see a 14 year character poofed somewhere and deleted with the response to reroll and refarm back raid gear. I'm sure those that are raiding current content would love to tell their fellow raiders "hey give me a couple of weeks and I'll be back raiding once I heroic and catch up on all the flags I need to get back to where you all are and then can I have priority on all the raid drops to get back what I lost plzkthks" yeah that'll go over well.

As careful as everyone is with their own personal security, stuff is still going to happen with as saavy as hackers are with the business of hacking that they run and to them it is a business. It is also the responsibility of the server and game owners to secure their side of the house so things like this do not occur. In 2015 there are a lot of options available to server and game owners to tighten security ... will it inconvenience gameplay some ... yes ... will it end some of the concerns with characters being deleted without the true owner's permission ... it will narrow down where the problem is. I wouldn't mind a little inconvenience to know my characters will be there when I log in. A couple more clicks is nothing to a sad face looking at a blank character select screen on a server that is full of characters.
    Yinla and Melanippe like this.
  9. Branntick Augur

Make it so that you are unable to transfer characters to FV.

Problem solved.

But then DBG won't get thousands from plat sellers buying server transfers.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

They didn't say all people on FV are bad just that it attracts some bad players aka scammers which is true unfortunately.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think a lot of us are very sure we never want to transfer to FV.
    Evercluck, Mediik, Vrinda and 4 others like this.
  12. Silv Augur

What has always puzzled me was the rationale behind making (almost) everything tradeable. How does that have anything to do with being a RP server? Was this ever explained and I missed it or someone have a guess?

I agree!
    Iila, Conjuration and Yinla like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree with you here too.....seems an easy RP answer would be some magic items bind to the characters soul forever. My guess it had nothing to do with RP at all and they just wanted to create a different ruleset for the server.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Another way to fix this transfer to FV problem is to keep any gear on transferred toons as no trade. If the gear cant be sold it takes way a lot of the reason for hacking and transferring an account.

If I were Daybreak I would enchance security on transfers to FV (at least require secret word), create a Never Transfer to FV button AND ensure any gear transferred to FV stays no trade.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

A short term fix would be if Daybreak let peeps put a petiton on files requesting no transfers to FV and adjusted their process for FV transfers to include looking for that petition.
  16. Agrippa Augur

Making almost everything rot wasn't something that happened until years after release. I don't think it's something that most players wanted. It was just weak game design. Anyhow, while it's unfortunate that these things happen, they should put an end to all transfers if they do anything.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Warpeace Augur

Either stop all transfers and make people start new if they choose to change servers or make gear tradable on all servers like FV. Problem solved.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually making everything tradeable like on FV would just make the demand for illegally obtained gear soar. No transfers works.... the second suggestion not so much.

Any gear on toons moved to FV should remain no trade. Toons should be flaggable as No Transfer or No Transfer to FV. Character deletes require an email confirmation on an account where the email has not been changed in 3 months. Now THAT is problem solved :)
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  19. iniari-TR Augur

don't worry about what goes on in FV.

FV is the server where folks move to sell gear / toons and quit EQ.
    it has been so for years.

while selling gear isn't exactly against the eula ( unless its for real cash ) its really not much of an issue other then for those trying to play the bazaar game.

selling of an account is obviously against eula and a real problem to get scammed, since the original account owner can reclaim their account at any time.

neither of these is really a problem for player population as a whole , since you cannot transfer OFF the fv server.

daybreak has a lot of more serious issues to deal with then a few folks selling off some ingame items.
  20. guado Augur

Or, due to the spirit of the chaos, perhaps the Priest of Discord could offer not only a Tome of Order of Discord, but a Tome of I-Don't-Want-My-Toon-Ganked-to-FV that when given, would prevent a transfer to Firiona Vie, permanently.