Power Sources in TDS

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kongfoo, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Kongfoo Elder

So far in TDS i've seen 4 different power sources.

Healer Power Source
    Ocean Purification Stone from Caverns of Endless Song

Caster Power Source
    Combine Power Shard from Degmar

Tank Power Source
    Geomantic Steelstone from Combine Dredge

Crappy All Around Power Source
    Thaell Ew Totem from Thuliasaur

The top 3 power sources I listed are great for their classes. They are huge upgrades to Xorbb's Caged Hatred. They also are somewhat common drops. The Ocean Purification Stone has dropped for me on about half of my named kills. Either I just haven't found the melee power source yet or we got screwed. Is there a 5th power source that i'm missing or am I stuck using the crazy rare Xorbb's Caged Hatred still?
  2. Iila Augur

There are only 4 power sources in TDS.

The crappy all-around one is the melee dps PS.
    FawnTemplar likes this.
  3. Maeryn Augur

Soddan's current Magelo has Thaell Ew Totem: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/3202615

Even in raid gear the Totem (and itemization in general) leaves him 235 points short of max Sta. The only notably Sta booster is Shaman Focus line which boosts cap as much as it boosts current value so doesn't get him any closer.

Infusion of Spirit 45sta in Slot6, Primal Essence 20sta in Slot3, not sure if they stack with Focus line but seem to and I don't know any non-Focus sta buffs that came out in the last 10 years off the top of my head since I had no use for the buff.

Thaell Ew Totem at 100 (105) Purity
    AC: 32 (33), HP: 100 (105), Mana 450 (472), End 450 (472)
    Str: 25(26)+3(3) Sta: -20(21)-2(2) Int: 15 (15) Wis: 15 (15) Agi: -25(26)-2(2) Dex: 10(10)+2(2)
    End Regen: 4 (4), Heal 5 (5), SplDmg 5 (5), Clair 5 (5)

Geomantic Steelstone at 100 (105) Purity
    AC: 50 (52), HP: 800 (840), Mana -175 (183), End -175 (183)
    Str: -15(15)-2(2) Sta: 15(15)+2(2) Int: -10(10)-2(2) Wis: -10(10)-2(2) Agi: 20(21)+2(2) Dex: 20(21)+2(2)
    HP Regen: 4 (4)

That's a really big penalty largely for 32 End Regen. Oath of Marr or other 30 Purity aug being essentially 2ac 40hp with Geomantic makes them a lot better than they were prior to TDS.

Ocean Purification Stone at 100 (105) Purity
    HP: 300 (315), Mana 500 (525), End -500 (525)
    Str: -10(10)-2(2) Int: -25(26)-2(2) Wis: 25(26)+3(3) Agi: 15(15)+2(2) Dex: -25(26)-2(2)
    Mana Regen: 4 (4), Heal 15 (15), SplDmg -10 (-10), Clair 15 (15)

Combine Power Shard at 100 (105) Purity
    HP: 300 (315), Mana 500 (525), End -500 (525)
    Str: -10(10)-2(2) Int: 25(26)+3(3) Wis: -25(26)-2(2) Agi: 15(15)+2(2) Dex: -25(26)-2(2)
    Mana Regen: 4 (4), Heal -10 (-10), SplDmg 15 (15), Clair 15 (15)

Swap Wis and Int, swap Heal and SplDmg, then again looking at the Totem maybe it's for the best that so little thinking was involved. Maybe they will add Powersource to Bandolier.
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.
  4. Brohg Augur

Thaell Ew Totem arguably the real priest source since going minus spell damage isn't ... good?
  5. Iila Augur

hahaha

I didn't even notice that, but the Thaell Ew Totem IS the better PS for exp groups for me.
    guado likes this.
  6. Poyzen Frawg Augur

I don't understand why the upgrade in Power Source is so marginal. Some may even say the Xorbb power source is better.

A power source from 2 expansions ago is better than current content.

Developers should look at this again.
    Lisandra likes this.
  7. Povarmonk Elder

Funny I posted this in beta about these powersources and no one listened to me at about time someone else starting talking about this issue and redo this powersources. Bottom line is no tank or melee powersource should be giving negative stats at all!
    Lisandra and Kiillz like this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thank you for posting the data on these.
    Lisandra likes this.
  9. Ravengloome Augur

Because why?

I have 3 of the 4 power sources and swap them on raids where applicable. I see no problem taking a loss to make a gain. You can't have balance without pros and cons to your decisions.
  10. roguerunner Augur

It's meant to take a loss to make a gain, not all PS's are all +
  11. Kongfoo Elder

With Thaell Ew you lose hp and ac over using Pure Elemental. Also you only gain 8 heroic strength over using Xorbb. I still use Thaell Ew since it is a common drop and a minimal dps boost but I don't think it should be less hp / ac than the power source I've used since lvl 75. The other power sources have a much greater gain for their classes and I don't see any major negatives for them either.
  12. Mugsie Elder

Except the priest one is horrible, especially for druids... go go making me only have 2 linked fast heals because I can nuke.... except all our gear has low +spell damage.

I agree in principle, if you want to do trade offs, make them substantial enough to care.
    If druids have to sac spell damage, then give us healing we may actually notice, ect ect
    Mugs
  13. roth Augur

Looking at the stats cited by Maeryn, I really do not have any desire whatsoever to stop using my Metal powersources.

Now, if they made a version of Xorbb's that was crafted, I'd consider changing to that, maybe. But the things listed above? Nope, no way no how.
  14. Zentara Augur

Are you a tank? Because the tank PS is better than sliced bread. 90 purity level 100 cultural armor with raid focus and my war gains 300 ac and 9000 hitpoints.

That isn't even a question. Use 'em. Group armor may be a different story as described above, but still strongly worth considering.
    Bigstomp and Iila like this.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

The problem is for many classes both for PS and other stats, the tank stuff is better than sliced bread for many classes.