Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by RadarX, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Fenudir Augur

Reminded me of my days in corporate America.

Actually made me feel a little ill....
    KC13 likes this.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

3. Alandros Elder

Without a doubt he is legally bound not to disclose anything. He has to walk a *very* fine line right now if he wants to 1) keep his job 2) help people as much as possible.
  4. Pelamar Lorekeeper

its wait and see now just watching and waiting but the future for EQ2 looks very bleak judging by how many layoffs they had.
  5. Melanippe Augur

Without a doubt any NDA he may have signed would NOT prevent him from commenting on HIS "vision" and/or "plans" for the products that the "independent studio" of which he is President may produce NOR would it prevent him from making statements to the various player communities and/or gaming sites.

http://eq2wire.com/2015/02/12/soe-president-john-smedley-responds-to-article/
  6. Skeeter Elder

Its only negative if its false. Truth doesn't always = negativity. Truth hurts sometimes and I am sorry.

But hey, keep that head in the sand :) Maybe everything will be alright......maybe.
    Geroblue likes this.
  7. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Looks like Prathun, Absor, Elidroth, and Roshen are still around. Maybe Daybreak will rehabilitate EQ1 not dramatically but by focusing less on EQN?
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. Skeeter Elder

Focusing less on all of the games it looks like. Main reason I say that, is because I don't think anyone is being hired to replace the folks that were fired. So if you can imagine EQ1 with even less resources then it had pre-sale.....

9. Ghubuk Augur

Pretty good Skeeter, err, I mean Kelefane...quoting yourself.
  10. Skeeter Elder

You're so on fleek.
  11. Alandros Elder

I'm not talking about NDA, I'm talking about your employer. I work in the game industry, a few years ago I posted an extremely mild negative comment on facebook about something I observed. It was extremely vague, very mild, and most of my friends were fellow employees. The next day I was sat down in a room with two levels of bosses, apparently the CFO didn't like what I said.

If I hadn't been one of the most long present employees in the company (this was about 2-3 years after an acquisition and about 3-6 months after a CEO change and entire company restructure, yet again) I got the feeling I would've been let go.

NDA is legal binding for information intended to be confidential, that doesn't mean you can't get canned for saying things on your own... and the game industry (especially after things like acquisitions and restructuring) is *extremely* sensitive about this sort of thing.

Smedley seems to care about his employees and the *best* thing he can do is keep his mouth shut in public and ensure those that are let go or those that stay are taken care of.

Also keep in mind it looks like they got severance packages, basically that means they are being paid to look for another job. For those that were considering leaving anyways that's a perfect situation to be honest. That company I mentioned ended up having our owning company pull the plug, though they give is good severance packages, especially those like me that were there the longest... In the end like many from Daybreak I got paid to look for a better job in the end.
  12. Ruges New Member

Does this mean in the next expansion that Qeynos gets destroyed. and Qekaerbyad gets put in its place? Or would it be called Qeavon Submuloc?
  13. Sinzz Augur

some times when I speculate I think that as with any aging company folks get comfortable and more unwilling to compromise there position as we humans usually get one track minded as to what worked for us in the past will always work ,
    new blood new direction while holding on to core vision wont be a bad thing, the new guy will always be hungry and out to prove himself while the old guy sits and spends more time worrying how the new guy is performing then performing himself at the same level.
    we all have seen it throughout our careers and maybe we all have been that old guy once or twice and felt we were untouchable only to learn that is not the case anymore.
    Stay hungry!
    Lisandra and Finen like this.
  14. Jimako-BB New Member

15. Serriah_Test Augur

They axed under-performers.
    Iila likes this.
  16. Xanumbik Augur

you cant go by that they float their DEVS around to where they need them i play EQ2 as well and its population does not seem lower than EQ plus its easier to improve EQ2 its code is better .anyway it doesn't matter we are all access so we could be posting here pay our subs and play DCUO or eq2 or whatever game we want to play in network. I think the population between alot of their games is very fluid among the non hard core people.
  17. Thorid New Member

We Have been dumped and sold off, I wonder what the future holds for us. Maybe an improvement or not . will EQ survive... time will tell
  18. RpTheHotrod New Member

Daybreak, I understand the whole "business" point of view, but I would like to encourage the view that EverQuest was honestly a way of life for a lot of people, and in some cases it even saved lives. Many relationships were made on this living and breathing world of EQ. Please keep that into consideration.
    Grove, Zujilli and Mintalie like this.
  19. Nolrog Augur

I believe the first 2 numbers are the year the posting was put up, and then they number them 001 for the first opening in that year, 002 for the second and so on. So of the 19 "sudden" job openings, 15 were from last year and they have been looking for a Unix operator for like 3 years now.
  20. svann Augur

I dont think thats true (that the number indicates the year). That unix posting mentions h1z1 and that game was only announced last year. They definitely would not want to leak h1z1 in a job posting, and if they had then someone would have noticed.