Can You Still Die From Falling?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pwnography, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Pwnography Augur

Given that these threads have been boring lately, I thought I'd ask a question that has been taking up more of my time than I'd like to admit. Mainly, is it still possible to die from falling damage? I've tried countless things recently, including jumping from the highest island in PoSky to islands below. I've tried Levitating from Ashengate over the immense valley. I've attempted old velious zone drops. Mainly, I can't find a single spot that will actually kill me.

Is the damage capped? Is it still possible? If so, could someone tell me where I could go to get better results? Its oddly important to me that I experience this one more time with my main (not a low level alt) before this game ends, if possible. I have an odd bucket list of sorts.
  2. guado Augur

Go to The Deep, and go across that big shiny bridge... and in ... the ... middle of the bridge....... jump off and see....... but you have to go in the middle of the bridge, it is the....... highest point in the zone ....

3. Sasenach Journeyman

Absolutely. I died in the last year from jumping down the spiral stairs in Dreadspire Keep (after being told that I wouldn't die).
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Yes you can. I don't know exactly how it works, but there is some formula that calculates whether you will die based on how far you fall and your level and/or stats.

As we've increased in power, it's become a lot harder to die unless you fall from very very high up or find a bugged spot.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Lag = Death when falling. Try the ramp in Argath.

Fire up a full anti-virus scan, and maybe try to open 10 copies of something like photoshop at once. Then, jump.

Edit: Also - weight. All them weight reducing bags make you very light. Try carrying some traders satchels instead.
  6. Betenoire Elder

Yes. Of all classes, I saw a monk do it just 2 days ago. The circumstances were abnormal though. There is an Arx mission that when you zone in, sometimes it zones you into the geometry (/glare SOE), and if you do not have levitation on, you will fall to your death.
  7. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

Try the spiral ramp where Redfang(raid)/bats(group) are.
    I also know if you take Lev from the ice cave in dreadlands and run toward KC you get rather high up too
    possibly the arcane library in Freeport or the elevated area above Relic.
    Great how am I going to get any work done the rest of the day, i'm going to be thinking of the highest drops in Everquest now. I'm pretty interested to know where the biggest freefall in EQ is!
    Yther likes this.
  8. Marshall Maathers Augur

1. Make yourself egregiously overweight
    2. Try to go down some stairs without lev
    3. Die
    Zanarnar, Aghinem and Yther like this.
  9. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Have you tried the cliff face leading into Kael Drakkal, or the top of Evantil?

I have found that certain movement abilities can prevent much of the fall damage. For instance, using Furious Leap while falling will cause you to take fall damage as if the height when you started the leap was the origin of your fall. Neshika's Blink can cause you to skip the fall entirely, instantly projecting you forward along the surface below.

Divine Aura will also prevent fall damage, if you're looking for another safe shortcut to the bottom of a pit.
  10. Maeryn Augur

11. Manapause Journeyman

I haven't had the painful pleasure of doing it myself in a while but last I knew you could also die falling out of the top of the tree in Evantil!

Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end!
    Mintalie likes this.
  12. Noirfu Augur

A huge factor in this is your ping time. If you have a fast connection it's very hard to do.
  13. segap Augur

I had an alt on autofollow fall down and die in TWK going down to the portals. For some reason the auto warp to the middle area failed. There must have been a sharp ledge somewhere on the way down. I was also unable to recover the corpse as I kept getting warped up while trying to get down to it.
  14. Jeanmirac Elder

There's that place in Velk's Labyrinth up on top of the ice ramps - fall so long, you can write your name on the wall on the way down... place still gives me chills... Getter died many, many times falling there.
  15. Lianeb Augur

Loping planes ..... The cliff right by the entrance heading out toward the rest of the zone used to be a deadly fall not so sure now a days though. Jumping / falling off the tree in Evantil was and i believe still is a death. At least it was during RoF time frame.
  16. Tour Augur

-Zone into Arx Mentis instanced portion of "The Cost of Balance" without levitation effects
    -Do nothing
    -Splat!
    Axxius likes this.
  17. Dre. Altoholic

Big spires south/west of the port in-areas of Dreadlands.
    Ankarv likes this.
  18. Marshall Maathers Augur

*Cue the response from Pwnz stating that the reason he isn't dying is because he pumped his hp over 200k, and that is the max damage he can take from falling*
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  19. Dibab Augur

I have a question in regards to this. A bard friend of mine has been running AA Selo's and no levi. Running down some hills he has been dieing. Not falling from a extreme height but rather the height of say a footstep? I didnt have a real answer to him as to why he is dieing but just told him to use levi. Does anyone have a real answer as to why this happens? please and thank you
  20. Edrick Augur

Some portion of fall damage is calculated client side. I don't know how exactly. The way someone's computer behaves affects it. It's why you see people die regularly from falls that you've never died off of, if they aren't a race/class that has safe fall, or if they're carrying too much. I can jump from the Argath spires and the top of Evantil and only take 500 damage. Then I see some people explode as soon as their feet touch the ground with the same jumps.

The damage is also exponential, meaning you'll get hurt much more up to the point where it caps out at the end.. maybe? I know that the Dreadlands Combine Spires or the jump off of the cliffs in East Karana will kill me. Actually, I'm not so sure about that. I haven't tried it in ages. I know what I'm doing later.

As a random aside, are the Dreadlands spires the biggest jump in the game?