Aggro Issues: Tank Mercs and Pets

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Silv, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Silv Augur

I'm not going to say much about pets tanking in this thread because there is already another one devoted to all of the 8/20 changes.

However, I have noticed some changes in the tank mercs. Now, I know a lot of people already think they are horrible and that's fine. I would disagree as they've been good for me; I've used a tank merc as my MT for my box group since... forever now. This thread isn't to talk about how great they are though. It's to discuss how their aggro went wacky since the patch.

After the 8/20 patch, the tank merc aggro is so spotty it's ridiculous. I've had aggro bounce between half of the group and back again on mobs that normally would be fixed on the merc at that point in the fight. I redid all of the COTF T1a/b missions and static ToRot and the issue was everywhere. My play style has not changed in the 2 days since the patch. As a note, this merc has never had any of the Furious Wrath merc AA.

Anyone else experiencing problems? I just find it a bit strange especially when the pet classes are also talking about lack of aggro ability.
  2. Ineptocracy Leader Elder

I had the tank merc totally ignore the fact that we were in combat 3 out of 5 fights two days ago on my alt.
  3. Duhbeast Augur

I saw something kinda funny last night as well with healing merc. In naggy lair I pulled a named dog with add. It was an accident and wasn't ready for it. The pet got agro and I healed and shielded with the merc helping the pet keep up too. So the fight got hairy and pet dies and I Fd. The mobs quit attacking and didn't go after the merc even though he helped in the fight. It was almost as if the merchant fd with me. Weird.
  4. guado Augur

I am actually having a reverse problem: Wiz mercs on Balanced are pulling aggro from an earth pet with aggro swords. I am not a merc AI expert, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, but ... shouldn't a balanced wiz merc with subtlety merc AA not pull aggro from an EM20 Earth Pet with Rage Swords?
  5. Wayylon Augur

I was leveling up my zerker, boxing with my mage and shammy... shaman had tank merc out so I could melee with the Zerk.

As soon as the zerker stepped into range with the pet and merc on the mob he would get agro, as if the merc wasnt even there and I was pet tanking.
  6. nildiar Lorekeeper

as i stated in the 8/20 pet thread yesterday my group was in kael. We were doing our thing no biggie single pulls pet tanking everything is all good....... When we start to notice fully buffed and aggro sword weilding pet is losing aggro to a chanter summoned pet... But thats not all
    Also any time the chanters much lower wizzie merc casted well not everytime but prolly 3-5 casts wizzie merc got aggro right off pets. The merc was not on burn. Also as if thats not enough my healer merc if hit as of the same patch will freeze up and refuse to heal and happily let himself and group die while he stands there. And also lol mercs although extremely dumb have been refusing to heal alot lately enough that group asks if its on passive....

Any devs care to weigh in on wth is going on with pet aggro or mercs post 8/20 patch? Im guessing they wont
  7. Krag Lorekeeper

That is the same problem. The pet is not holding agro....
    guado likes this.
  8. Koryu Professional Roadkill

You probably had an Earth pet out and proccing his Root. If a mob is rooted, the game is treating mercs as NPCs for aggro rules, so the mob will turn on the closest available player. Turn off your pet's Root and the problem will be magically fixed.
  9. nildiar Lorekeeper

Sooo what explains a lower level chanter pet taking aggro from my pet?
  10. Siddar Augur

It was closer to the rooted mob then the earth pet.