new Mirror spell

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Vlerg, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Vlerg Augur

anyone found a use for it yet?
  2. Mintalie Augur

3. Caixaa Elder

Yes, to complete spellbook
    Sheamous likes this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

On phone at work, don't have all the information memorized on this.

However IIRC the spell lasts only a couple ticks. To me it is very situational, and was probably specifically created for certain situations. I know 99.99999% of the population that has this spell does not use it- I fall into that majority as well. But it just seems odd to me to create a spell that literally has no use. It is obvious time and energy was spent to create the parameters of the spell, I have to believe that there will be a situation (whether now or in the future) that utilizes the effect...
  5. sojero One hit wonder

If you have timers set up for events you can cast the spell just before the mob does and have a better chance to survive. The reason no one uses it is because we all power through those situations.

example:
    Arch Mage Harron
    He casts targeted 40' range AE "Telekaria" every 25 to 30 seconds (nuke for 64,000 dmg + 1.5-second stun)

If you had to run in the area for some reason you could cast it and hopefully reflect it back on him.

I haven't tested it so it might not work on AE, and it is also a 2 min recast so its very very situational and more of a "oh crap" chance at save from spell dmg.
  6. Crystilla Augur

Cicelee - clerics felt the same way when we got our mirror version Providence. Unless it lasts longer, it certainly wasn't worth a spell slot there. Sad they continued this to the casters.
  7. Reht The Dude abides...

Yeah, i wouldn't waste a spell slot on this spell. If i wasn't using all of them, i would probably mess around with it.
  8. Hayzeus Augur

two possibilities:

1) The devs wanted to put out X number of spells for that release, but knew they had to temper that against the "small increase" mantra they've been using for both AA and spells. In that train of thought, maybe they released this spell knowing it would be useless and unused crap

2) The devs actually believed that this would be useful to someone... somewhere. In that case, it would be good if the devs said "hey newbs, this spell is useful in this instance," or at least "hey newbs, we're designing content right now that you will want this spell for."

I'm leaning towards #1. With a 2 minute recast and a 2 tick duration... why would anyone waste a spell gem having it memmed. No one will, and if the devs really believed that we would... it would be interesting to know what the <censored> they were thinking at the time. I hate feeling like they might have thought this was useful to us in the current content. Honestly that would just be an indicator to how far out of touch they are with the game.

I think it's just a throw away spell. It's something they created so that they could claim they created X number of spells without giving any thought to whether we'd ever actually use the spell.

Kind of like the Bind Affinity or Identify AA (which both still make me lol at their uselessness).
  9. Mary Poppins Augur

I actually use the bind affinity AA...

=P
  10. Hayzeus Augur

Hah... k... in the interest of fairness, Bind Afinity was a bad example to use with the word useless because, you are right, it's actually not useless.

the rest of what I said stands though!
  11. Famka Elder

I use reflection spells sometimes when pulling, especially when pulling necro mobs that like to snare.
  12. Zahrym Augur

The identify AA was for classes that don't get it primarily. They added 'special' quests that require it.

Not sure why it's always cited as useless, I for one enjoyed not having to farm identify items to finish Piecing Together History.
  13. Cicelee Augur

After doing the last raid event in COTF on release day, I wonder if there is a situational use for mirror.

Only difference, of course, is that I do not believe mirror is 100% guarantee to reflect the spell to the npc. If it is, then at least I found one good use...
  14. Reht The Dude abides...

[40368/1599] Mirror Rk. III
    Classes: NEC/98 WIZ/98 MAG/98 ENC/98
    Skill: Abjuration
    Mana: 375
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 1.5s, Recast: 2m, Timer: 8, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 12s (2 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Chance to Reflect Spell by 70%
    Text: A reflective haze surrounds you.
  15. Narye Augur

I must always be in the 30% that doesn't work then..
  16. RPoo Augur

If using the hooded scrykin familiar does that bump it up to 75%?
  17. Repthor Augur

most of thease things are worhless nto cuz the spell it seöf is bad but becoz most encounter spells is set at unresistble witch also means they cant reflect this spll whould have uses IF not everythign was unresistble
  18. Vlerg Augur

worst spelling ever, but agree with repthor