Things other players do that make you want to headdesk

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sheaffer, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Leerah Augur

I don't understand the hate for people selling wherever they happen to be. It's a vendor FFS. That gnome is convenient for selling and running so people don't have to wait too long for you. Is it really THAT inconvenient for you to sort by price?

It's not as if you can't clear the guild porter by letting the guild hall close. I find good stuff on those vendors.
  2. Jasmy Journeyman

Selling to the portal stone vendor is against the rules in my guild after I received a great many complaints. As for closing the guild hall, I stay logged on at all times, unless there is a server downtime, so that my guild mates can zone in and don't have to wait for it to repopulate.

That's just the way I roll. :)
    Sheamous likes this.
  3. Iila Augur

People who don't join vent to listen to instructions and force the group/raid leader to double up instructions into a slower format.
    Sheamous and Rathaniel like this.
  4. Tadenea Augur

people who yell wipe (more then 1) and few min later we win
  5. onyuyan Augur

Unfortunately in my experience typing lets people make intelligent statements, whereas vent is... 54 drunk people with no ability for rational and collected discussion. I'm sorry if that sounds rather insensitive but I just can't deal with it every night. Typing mitigates this at least somewhat.
  6. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

This should not be an issue if your orginized.
    Its a simple rule, NO ONE talks at the start of the event when instructions are given out and no one talks when the event is going except for the raid leader or raid leaders assistant, period.
    A few exceptions may be if someone is assigned the task for a certain phase when an emote goe's off and a certain someone needs to run a certain way or the raid need's to do something etc etc.
    Other then that, I speak only when spoken too.
    If you feel like gabbing or wanting to share a joke thats what tells are for or say it in guild chat.
    The worse thing to do is when something goes bad, everyone starts talking and panics. Most of the time you can recover from a mishap or a bad situation if everyone keeps their cool and the raid leader is the only one talking.
    I've seen panic wipe more raids then anything else.

The Raid leader shouldn't even hesitate to tell someone to be quite during these phases and if they keep talking after they've been asked to be quite, they get booted out of the channel.
    If someone gets butt hurt over this then they need to log out or leave the raid and calm down before coming back in. They know the rules.

As you say if someone is so drunk they have "no ability for rational and collected discussion" there probably playing like crap too and they get to be on sit out all night as well! LOL!

If all 54 of your raid force is all drunk well it sounds like an alcoholics anonymous meeeting gone bad and evenone decided to play EQ instead of face their problem. heh!
  7. IDotPeople Augur

People who expect me to put their talking above my listening of music and watching of worthless videos. Not to mention, instructions should be on the site for all to know already, and in text form you can at least scroll back. Humbug on the ventrilo generation!
  8. Uxtalzon Augur

9. Brohg Augur

That whole thing stinks. It represents the terrible antisocial attitude of a small minded would-be martinet. I do not, never have, and never will tolerate The Fun Police in EverQuest. Anyone telling me to do anything can **** right the **** off. That right there is something "NO ONE" does.

Everyone's come to play and have fun so the raid leader should absolutely hesitate to tell someone what to do, ever, because they're people; they're players too, who have joined with you in some grand adventure. If the raid leader gets "butt hurt" over not getting to control them then the raid leader needs to log out or leave the raid and calm down before coming back in - or just go play StarCraft or some crap. The mindless game pieces totally follow orders over there. No lip from your party members in Final Fantasy. No one talking out of turn when you 3-box+mercs your Gribbles. When you join with other people in a coop multiplayer game milieu, you respect their liberty to play the game as they like even while they're with you, or they enforce your "liberty" to play just as you like - by yourself.

"The rules" you need to know are that you don't make the **** rules.
  10. Vlerg Augur

I'm guessing your get kicked out of raid often, Brohg? Or you don't raid at all?

Raiding is about 54 people coordinating effort together to overcome a challenge. if Mr. Joe decide he don't want to assist, up CC, bring mobs out of balance, try to be a DPS warrior or try to tank on his cleric cause it's fun.. then he's likely wasting 53 people time.

Now, of course, there's different kind of raiding... one kind have fun in besting encounters, testing their skills against devs script... another kind have fun screwing around and don't care if anything get done ( or don't care if a small core do everything and carry them).
  11. Brohg Augur

I've raided extensively, Vlerg, very successfully, including as a leader, and never been been kicked out. Furthermore, I've managed to do that without disrespecting the agency and contribution of all participants by talking down to them or trying to command them / issue them orders. Besides the ethical issues, real leadership just doesn't require it.
  12. Vlerg Augur

so, you've leaded 54 people trough a multiple hour event without ever having to tell someone to focus, stop blabbering on TS-Vent-wathever, to pay attention, remind someone to not use wathever AE they have, never had to rouse up anyone?

Congratulation, you are one of a kind... of a big liar. pick one.

Leadership, wether it's in a game or in the real world, always have to do discipline. It's what make leadership hard ; responsiblities and discipline...
    Sheamous likes this.
  13. Brohg Augur

I've never had to be discourteous or make ultimatums. "Discipline" like that has no place in a cooperative game, and treating fellow players like that, like you're in some real world venue in which it would have a place is exactly the …nonsense I won't tolerate. The lesson ought to have been learned in kindergarten: you're not the boss of me.
  14. Khat_Nip Meow

You're completely missing the context of what others are trying to explain to you. And before you say, "I know full well what they mean" let me assure you that you don't. You and the others are on 2 different pages.
    Sheamous likes this.
  15. Brohg Augur

I'm entirely willing to concede that we may be talking right past each other, but that just leads me to the question of why you think I'm the one that needs admonishing on the possibility.
  16. Khat_Nip Meow

Because of your seemingly, "I do what I want!" attitude. You come off (whether intentional or not) as someone that would join a raid and type, "/gu /yawn I can't be bothered" when you're tasked for a particular role or the type that yaks it up about meaningless things in Vent/Teamspeak when everyone else is relying on concise direction based on the here-and-now of the current event but they can't hear it.

In a raid setting where everyone involved is vying for the same goal it isn't too much to ask that the raid leader be given carte blanche (within reason) to direct the other 53 people to perform specific duties and/or do-this/don't -do-that calls on the fly. It's nothing personal, it's just business. (for lack of a better phrase).
    You seem defensive as if you think everyone would think you were some lowly defeated being just bowing your head and doing what you were told when in reality everyone is there playing their role, doing their duties as a team with a mutual goal.

If I'm doing something wrong then bark at me in Teamspeak, I prefer it. Don't say it in /gu, don't send me a /tell; I may not see those. Just blurt it out for everyone to hear but more importantly I'll hear it and adjust accordingly. I'm not running for mayor, I'm here to win a raid.
    The way you come off that would be too belittling to be told/called out on things but in reality it's for the greater good.

(Edit: formatting.)
    Sheamous likes this.
  17. Agrippa Augur

I think that being obedient and submissive to those leading raids and groups is part of being cooperative. If someone signs up for a raid guild, they should humble themselves and be open to instructions given and listen to feedback. That said, I don't think the leaders are in a position to talk down to people. It's frustrating to wipe, yes, but that doesn't excuse treating others poorly. However, I think discipline also has it's place. If someone is repeatedly failing to listen to instructions given or ignoring feedback where they should improve, the leaders absolutely have the authority to bench or even remove the player causing problems. This is an awkward situation, but it should be handled in a way that doesn't belittle the player. Who knows? They might learn from the experience, become a better player for it, and, later, become an asset to the team, if they were treated respectfully.
    Sheamous likes this.
  18. Ueuill Elder

1. Clerics who join a group prepared to a particular quest, then attempts to blackmail the group into abandoning their planned mission and doing a different mission.

2. Players (usually Clerics) who emphatically insist that no Cleric has ever tried to blackmail a group into abandoning their planned quest/mission and doing the Cleric's quest/mission instead.
    onyuyan likes this.
  19. Grelthur Elder

Fixed it. Any player can do this. If they do, ditch them and find someone else. At this stage in the game, as much as I am loathe to admit it, even clerics can be replaced by a merc or another priest class in a majority of instances. The same goes with Tanks and DPS. While there may be specific instances where the merc just won't cut it, there are other resources available in the game.
  20. Brohg Augur

That is quite a pile of assumptions. I have never done any of those things. More to the point, I've never had to resort to ridiculous rules or ultimatums to make folks raiding with me Respect My Authoritah

is for robots and dogs, with no place in a peer-based, coop multiplayer game. Respect requires neither, and is a two-way street.