Proper Care and Feeding of Heroic Bards

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Sirene_Fippy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Blacksunempire Journeyman

Question about BP Clicky - what is this item I hear everyone talking about for BP Clicky? Thanks man!
  2. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Heroic Dreamhunter Breastplate has the clicky Dorian Arpeggio.

It's a group disc similar to 2nd + 3rd spire, that appears on most bard BPs starting with Underfoot. The spell portion of this clicky is level restricted (i.e. only works on certain level spells) so it constantly needs to be upgraded (the melee damage bonus increases with updated versions as well). RoF BPs have a different clicky (self defense), the clicky comes back on CotF BPs.
  3. Coruth Augur

I've often wondered about why vast majority of Bards put their melody in spell gems 1-2-3-4

It's seems a great waste of Keyboard Space. Melodies should run 7-8-9-10 range (you have to avoid 11/12 because they mess up in melody))

Typical Bard has a hotkey that says "Melody 1 2 3 4" so your not manually hitting spells Alt-1 etc.

But if you want to use say a mez. Hitting Alt-1 with Mez on top is a lot easier than hitting Alt-7 with melody spells on top.

Same is true for most mouse clickers. Easier to find spells on top and move mouse to them then spells at bottom.
  4. Romance Augur

Or just make a hotkey and put mez in a more convenient place.
  5. Jyve Augur

Yes! Easy (usually) to ALT 1-4 the main ones you need, so well worth putting the 'auto' songs lower down so you're hand isn't jumping around too much.
  6. Coruth Augur

Of course you "could" but then your wasting more hotkey space.

And my point was more look at the way the original poster posted his hotkeys

He put the keys a heroic bard hits the most often and need to hit the quickest in the 1-4 slots.

So my question remains: if you think 1-4 slots are the easiest to hit, and get the most use. Why do so many Bards waste the Alt1-Alt2-Alt3-Alt4 spots by making those melody spells?

Anything of course can go anywhere. But the point of the thread was to give some mid-max ideas of how to make it easiest to use the abilities that are the most valuable/most used.

As a side note: I've always wondered in EQ why people don't remap the Space Bar.
    We don't need to jump around like a FPS game so maping "J" for jump works plenty fine in those rare jump situations. Meanwhile having spacebar open for whatever your most common key is amazing.
  7. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Which of these is easier to read?

/melody 1 2 3 4 1 5 2 3 1 4 5 2 1 4 3 5 7
    /melody 12 11 10 9 12 8 11 10 12 9 8 11 12 9 10 8 6

This post is for people who are new to the bard class.

8. Romance Augur

I use 7 hotbars, plenty of space.
  9. Coruth Augur

Don't use melody in 12 and 11. They don't work right.

That said their both equally easy to read for me. Heck considering the impressive level of detail in your original post (Big Props to you for btw), anyone who can't follow putting in second line, probably can't follow the rest of your guide.

And I don't mean my critique for just new bards, I know a lot of level 100 bards in my guild who do the same thing put their melody at the top of their spellbars.

Sigh. If you have plenty of space, then location of spell gems don't matter to you at all.
    Or if you just use hotkeys and never Alt-# Cast, the location of spells gems dont matter.
    So critiquing my critique of using 5-10 over 1-5 is completely pointless.

You're like the guy in general chat complaining of people talking off eq topics and spam.
    The complaints just add to the spam
  10. Romance Augur

No complaints here, I complain less than anyone in EQ. I am well educated in the class, and imho alt casting as a bard is waste of keystrokes, there are better things to occupy your apm with.
  11. Lalolil Ozilamya New Member

FAR too long, I've been away--this helped me get right back up to speed. Thanks so much!
  12. ranluwen Journeyman

Awesome post sirene! Always been a bad***. I just came back to eq, it looks like eq diva is down, is THC still running? I'm looking to get back up to speed and join a rading guild.
  13. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Welcome back :) TCH* (lol) is still around (site link), you have to get Darrkin to approve your account before you can log in. Ask in the serverwide bard channel.
  14. Alumriel Dreamweaver New Member

If this is the case, why does Lucy show them to have a duration of 3 ticks, like most other songs?
    Was this a bug that was fixed recently, or is Lucy not showing accurate data?

Fantastic post, BTW. It has been "instrumental" in my getting back up to speed after a 10 year break.
  15. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Most song durations are extended by the Extended Ingenuity AA, making them last 6 seconds longer (12s vs 18s). For whatever reason some songs are affected differently - Aria lasts 15s, hence needing to be played 1/5 songs vs 1/6 and complicating melodies. Harmony of Tone/Sound and Chants are not extended by the AA.
  16. Brohg Augur

what is that cap?

Related to caps, group armors have resonance 26 instead of raid resonance 35, how many songs does that affect (or how important are the songs that are affected, if that's a better question)?

Purple background is what non-subscribers (Silver status accounts) see for non-prestige gear with prestige (subscriber only) augments. The item itself functions fully but no stats/procs/mods will be gained from the aug. Prestige gear gets a yellow background just like you'd equipped an item above your level range. Yellow background means the gear slot is functionally empty, no stats from item or aug.
  17. sojero One hit wonder

The caps for Rank I, Rank II and Rank III songs at 4.2, 4.4 and 4.6 (respectively). The highest worn mod that will actually produce a benefit in song power (for Rk. III songs) is 2.8.
    Code:
    1.0 (base) + 2.8 (worn mod) + 0.8 (maxed Instrument Mastery AA) = 4.6

therefore for group geared (cotf t1 gear is not prestige):
    1.0 (base) + 2.6 (worn mod) + 0.8 (maxed Instrument Mastery AA) = 4.4

so more than enough for any rk 1 or 2 song
  18. Brohg Augur

19. Brohg Augur

No love for lower level Psalms? Just too low power?
  20. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

No love for the high level Psalm either, too low power indeed.