Stonewood Bow Staff and Plane of War Progression

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by WDWolf, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Gnomeland Augur

Camping grey mobs is never going to be enjoyable on the gameplay level alone.

The psychological satisfaction such activities traditionally provided in EQ was based on the joy of progression, which mattered when the game was the only big MMO in town and your achievements were socially - well, within the social group of MMO players - valuable.

Today, EQ is an old, niche game that is in a lot of ways on its last legs. There is a lot less motivation to progress in today's EQ than there was back when PoP was current. Less motivation = less effort players are willing to spend. That, along with an aging player base, has been why EQ needed to reduce the timesinks over the years.

Having said that, having one unique nostalgia zone isn't a problem. But in case this becomes a repeat, then there is a problem.

I also highly disagree with the way itemization was done for PoWar vis-a-vis COTF rare drops, especially with how melees benefit tremendously from the COTF rare drops, but all the best caster gear is locked behind PoWar. But that's a different issue.
  2. Tarrin Augur

It does effect me. Very much so.

I just rely on friends and guildies to help overcome the stipulations PoWar will impose.

I don't know exactly what you are asking, other than " make the content easier so it can be merc'ed and boxed at a later date, due to people not having friends or helpful guildies ".

What is your solution to the problem?
  3. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

In 10 levels people will have no problem boxing and using mercs for Plane of War. The names will be dark blue to a 110 toon. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the better geared folks were soloing the zone at that point.
    Elricvonclief and Mykaylla like this.
  4. Gnomeland Augur

Not having mechanics that lock out certain play styles indefinitely?

I don't get why you think the choice is between 'make content not merc tankable, not pet tankable, and not boxable' and 'make the content easier.'

The issue I brought up is that PoWar mechanics punish people for playing certain classes to such a degree that even ten levels later, those classes are crippled by the content. I don't think such mechanics belong in EQ. It certainly didn't exist back in PoP.
  5. Tarrin Augur

So this is really just a disguised " i want to pet tank raid flagged stuff" stuff rant?

Since apparently what this boils down to is how the mechanics "punish people for playing certain classes" certain ways.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  6. Shimmerleaf Augur

I feel for the folks trying to get their bows made in the face of fighting over grey spawns with ksing, plat farmers, rude jerks, etc. I am very glad I won't be going to PoWar and do not have to do that.

I do not mind that there are zones that are to hard for me and my friend, there alwys have been and undoubtedly will continue to be.

I can play just fine without any of the drops in POWar, Doing without will not kill me or my computer.

I really do wish some folks would stop with the 4th grader Nyaa Nyaa We got stuff and you can't hack it BS. Here, in general channel, it is pathetic.

Grow up, have fun and stay safe.

Shimmerleaf
    Old Fogey
  7. Battleaxe Augur

I am a single account player. I rely on other players to get things done. Yep, SOE disadvantages my playstyle so much that many other players play multiple toons to avoid single account disadvantage. No I don't expect SOE to make everything other than raids Warrior moloable just because its a good fit with my circumstances.

Camping a Stonewood Bow stave is too haaard?

Not for those who raid and care about how their guild does compared to other guilds. One can't wave a "compete" sign and ignore 1H 16DMG augs, 50AC shield augs, Circle of Life and Power clickies, and overhaste.

Not for those who are in a longstanding group or boxing partnership that expects to outpace others.

If the casters that I group or raid with "need" an Red Eye of Gossik (EQ power is small improvements accumulated) then we camp it. If the melee need X then we camp X.

If rare or difficult to obtain group drops subvert raid loot council loot distribution and Bob's rare and special raid item isn't so rare and special anymore, good. If group drops subvert the DKP syatem a little - also good. A little democracy never hurt anybody. Even if a group geared player were to acquire every CoTF rare and PoWar drop they'd be at the top of the group geared heap and very bottom of the progression raider heap.

Such things as PoWar are not breaks the game unfair nor are the grapes sour. I've gotten to munch one or two of thiose grapes and lemme tell ya, they are quite sweet. Well worth camping a Stonewood Bow stave.
  8. Cicelee Augur

So I finally relented and spent 250k on a stonewood branch on Wednesday. The bazaar had them at 350k on that day, so I felt I got a great deal. I laughed when, on Thursday, they had already dropped to 200k. Such is life for those who want to be the first ones in...

I have been able to molo (as a magician) mobs in Plane of War past the gate, although the difficulty is high. And if I get an add, forget about it- I am dead or gating. So it is very hard, and I enjoy that. Obviously cannot molo a named, which I did not expect to anyways.

I do feel some posters could be correct in that the zone is so difficult for the masses that most may just get their 1-2 augs and not come back. There is not a lot of incentive for players who have already got their item; you have to hope they are friendly and just like helping others. But today's EQ of box teams and individuals playing a full group (3+3) may be challenging to find for many.

Some individuals you cannot change. They want their one aug, then they are done. Just because Plane of War forces you to group does not mean the playerbase will automatically become social butterflies and help everyone out.

A quick reminder to all: these items are not required for our characters. Sure they are nice, sure they are small power improvements, and yes every little bit helps. But getting a 50 AC shield augment will not change you from not bring able to tank trash in Dead Hills to automatically tanking EK2 Commander Galenth just like that. There might be 20 small improvements; just cause you do not get a 50 AC shield doesn't mean you cannot get the others...
  9. Brosa Augur

So far the zone is exactly what I expected. Tough as nails for top end groupers and challenging group content for raiders. So there are some mechanics that force you to adjust your play style or go out side of your comfort zone and seek out help from some one. Run into a mechanical road block? Find a solution. Can't conquer a target? Find some help. Can't pet tank? Group with a real one.
  10. Siddar Augur

Prime time Saturday second weekend of zones release only 14 players total in zone on Xegony, one being alt that I ran there after a raid wipe to check the zone. Stonewood bows selling under 200k now saw them for 120K this morning sold more on merchant then that yesterday still no desire to buy one even tough its only thing I need to move past first area. This zone appears to be a complete flop.

The concept of not making bad first impressions and also of not repeating the mistakes of the past seems to apply here.
  11. Tarrin Augur

Care to expand on this statement? I regularly see 50+ in PoWar and have been PUGing there often.
  12. Siddar Augur

This zone should have had close to 100 players in it for most times of the day.
  13. Tarrin Augur

So, based on an arbitrary number you are throwing out there, you are using that to make an official statement that the zone is a flop?

Even though you have never set foot past the gate?
  14. Khat_Nip Meow

I haven't played the past couple days so the numbers are most likely higher now but the days prior to that a '/ count' would typically show ~107 people in PoWar.
  15. Gnomeland Augur

I'm going to put it simply: say there's a zone where druids aren't allowed to heal. Are you going to make the same argument you're making here - make friends and get over it?

It's a fact that a huge portion of the player base relies on mercs and pets today. Saying these subpar groups ought to suffer in cutting edge content is fine. Saying they ought to never be able to do this content is, in my opinion, a terrible design decision.
    CaptAmazing likes this.
  16. Tarrin Augur

Your argument is flawed.

The druid archetype is priest.
    The mage archetype is dps.

Mages can still DPS in PoWar.

A better argument is "there is a zone where druids can't kite".

You know what I do then? If I want to kite I go to a different zone. If I want to participate in that zone, I find a group. It happens all the time.
    Tour and code-zero like this.
  17. Edrick Augur

You're moving the goal posts. Plane of War is the second most populated zone in the game right now, right after the Guild Lobby.
  18. Siddar Augur

When did I move them?

Bazaar and PoK say hi by the way
  19. Kelefane Augur

Nice :)
  20. Stubar Augur

Omg is this thread still going?
    Fenthen, Sinestra and Mykaylla like this.