How to deal with a 150k hitter in a group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Qest T. Silverclaw, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

So, rumor has it, there's a named that, when empowered, hits for 150k in PoWar. Presuming there is no way to completely prevent it becoming empowered, how would your group handle it?

I'm a grouper, so while raiders will probably have a far easier time with this, here's how I'd try it with group-geared players:

I think I'd try war, clr, dru, enc, enc, wiz.

War because we'll have 2 healers, so self-healing won't be as important as mitigation.
    Clr for the big buffs and heals.
    Dru for their temporary large hp buff and extra heals.
    2 Enc for debuffs, threshold runes, and regular runes.
    Wiz in the hope of burning it down before the war's disc runs out.

If the empowerment is temporary, and predictable, maybe replace the Wiz with a Shaman for more buffs, heals and debuff.

It doesn't seem so impossible with the right group, but it's strange that they'd put something in that needed a rather specific set of classes when for the past few years they've been careful to allow diverse groups to succeed. Can y'all think of other ways of handling this?
  2. Ghan Journeyman

Deflection, harmshield/silent casting.
  3. Trajet D'Or Augur

If it's hitting for 150k meaning if 1 in 4 hits is even 100k the tank gets 1-rounded the 2 priests and 2 enc in your group are pretty much useless.

You want classes with discs that mean they take no melee damage and classes that can get the mob dead fast.

Then again maybe it's something as simple as it doesn't summon while it's empowered.
  4. Draego Augur

My variation would be to switch the Dru for a Shammy, and one of the Ench for a Bard

Shammy instead of Dru, because same large temporary HP buff, also for the very strong group Heal with HoT effect, not to mention the recourse Slow buff.

Bard over 1 Ench, rune songs, but also overhaste and alternate iteration ability, just more of a chance for both Wiz and War to be able to do their jobs.

Granted with the loss of the Dru, the safety net is removed IF something happens to the Wizzy.
  5. Cone head Augur

If I recall, the names on PoWar are geared or tuned for 12 players, not 6. I don't know if that factored in mercs or not.

Quest, Your first group looks good, I would replace the wizard with a mage just for surge and replace the druid with a shammy.

The second group I would set up with Bard, Wiz, Wiz, Druid, Necro and maybe another mage for burn.
  6. Ravengloome Augur

6 monks 2 bards 2 shaman cycle earthforce and burns
  7. fransisco Augur

Rangers tanking. They will be able to hold agro off any player who is burning - unlike monks, and can invulnro tank it as well for a minute+ each (I forget how long weaponshield lasts with max buff extensions).
  8. Riou EQResource

Most trash mobs cancel your avoidance's to where you have none, not even avoidance discs worked.

The mob hitting for 150k was because people failed it.

The named also have like 100 million hp range and take like 10-12 minutes to kill with a regular group, so you will need to hold it off for long, hehe.
  9. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I suppose there is indeed more than one way to skin a cat.

The idea that they're like the two in Chelseth Reborn that were tuned for 2 groups but doable with one really strong one is ideal as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really looking forward to this zone!

P.S. I didn't know Shamen get the same temporary large HP buff Druids get. I guess I still have much to learn after all these years!
  10. fransisco Augur

In plane of war, riposte/parry disciplines do not work? really? Or do they just have a high strike through and ignore normal defensive skills?
  11. Cicelee Augur

Why would raiders have a far easier time with a mob that hits for 150k?

In that scenario, gear has very little to do with that. It is about disciplines, AA, etc. Maybe a class raid BP extends the duration of something an extra tick, but I do not believe that just because someone is a raider that their gear will easily handle 150k hits...
  12. Riou EQResource

Melee mobs put a debuff on you that cancels all your avoidances, It seems to kill discs too if you have the debuff on, some Named seem to reduce your chance but not cancel it out right though
  13. fransisco Augur

oh. So these aren't necessarily the same named that are hitting for 150k.
  14. Cerris Augur

One thing this board continually does is teach me new things. I had never considered that silent casting was truly silent enough to allow an invulnerable character to tank, but you're the second person I've seen mention it in the last few days. I'll have to try that out sometime. :) Does it work with pet DA?
  15. Random_Enchanter Augur

several raid level mobs hit for that much currently and an excellent raid can keep a single tank up though the entire lifespan of the mob. With current group level gear (disregard the COTF lottery drops) I do not think a warrior even with the tempory high HP buff could survive a 250k round (150k max hit + 100k "normal" hit) while a player with raid level gear should be able to live.

My ideal single group would be Warrior, Cleric, (2edary healer), Enchanter (for MC + other goodstuff), DPS, DPS. the 2edary healer would be what benifits the 2 DPS the most (shm if melee, druid if casters).

side note: did we just make the core of a grp from 10 years ago again?
  16. fransisco Augur

would the 2nd healer need to be druid for the temp hp buffs?
  17. Ravengloome Augur

I said monks because earthforce is 90% mitigation + spell blocker for when it does its nasty single target DD its also on a 7.5 minute cooldown... The other problem with the Judicator is he calls for help on all currently spawned versiona of himself... its a good way to block others progress once you get flagged.
  18. Axxius Augur

So basically, if somebody would kill trash and avoid Judicators and spawn 3-4 of them, that would c-block the whole server from progressing, unless a raiding guild comes and clears them? Sounds like a brilliant design. :rolleyes:
    Fenthen and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  19. Riou EQResource

The cool thing is whoever spawns it gets full loot credit until corpse unlocks if they in zone :p, so to cheese it, you gotta do it!

But, in the moats around the castles can fit at least 12-15 groups total in both sides not including any spots in the field, so is a bit of room unless it gets crazy lol
  20. Draego Augur

No worries...

[IMG] Rampant Growth Rk. III DRU/97 SHM/96 8: Max Hitpoints 12869 -> 15022 850mana

Shaman have gotten each iteration of this ability from SoD forward 1 level before Druids, in combos where you find a Shaman and Pally who usually hunt together (I box a Shaman with my Pally), the Pally will often at times rely on their own Temp HP buff so the Shaman is free to utilize another debuffing/damaging spell instead.

EDIT:
    Adding in the Pally quick spell data
    [IMG] Steadfast Stance Rk. III PAL/99 SHD/99 8: Max Hitpoints 14914 -> 14914 715mana
    Less mana usage and not a huge significant difference in HP gains, for me to pass up using other Shaman abilities when paired with my Pally.