New World drops

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fransisco, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lerilon Lorekeeper

Well that's just mechanics. The mistake is that the mob had no other loot on it's table. That increased the drop rate slightly. Seems like this should have been easier to hotfix without taking all the drops in instances out. This would work in static zones as well if you didn't have to wait 15 to 20 minutes for respawn. With the HAs you didn't. Kill, no loot, drop HA, do it again. So you could kill that mob 5-10 times in the time it takes a static zone mob to respawn.

The ONLY way to stop this exploit is to ONLY have these rare drops drop in instances off of named (still rare on them) and rarely inside a chest at the end. The people will at least have to play the HAs until the named or PH spawns, and will be encouraged to play each one to the end whether the named spawns or not for another shot. But still only a .5% on average chance that any HA will drop ONE item.
  2. Ayoheee Augur

Playing devil's advocate here.

Is it possible that there's some code restriction on making items with extraordinarily small drop rates. Say, 1-in-5000? So maybe instead of giving every mob a 1-in-5000 chance of dropping the item, they pick 1 mob at random. Say, a_xulous_elder04 *wink* a 1-in-50 chance of dropping the item. So you see a_xulous_elder04 in half of every HA, and its one of 50 mobs to in the HA. 50*2*50 = 1-in-5000. I'm making all these numbers up, it doesn't matter what they actually are.

Not making any excuses for anyone, just saying maybe they designed it that way because the other way (giving every mob a 1-in-5000 chance of dropping an item) wasn't feasible.
  3. Ayoheee Augur

That really doesn't make any sense at all. Not having any other loot on its table has nothing to do with the frequency they drop something. If a mob has a 5% chance of dropping a cloth cap its gonna drop a cloth cap 5% of the time. If you add a cloth shirt to its loot table with a 30% drop rate, its still going to drop the cloth cap 5% of the time. The second paragraph doesn't make any sense either. Randomization such that every mob has an equal chance of dropping the item is just as good a (if not a better) solution.
  4. Zipon New Member

Not going to read all the post but they should remove raid gear drops end of story. All the guilds put a ton of effort into getting gear on raids and for Sony to let anyone get overpower gear for no effort is BS.
  5. Makavien Augur

I agree with an above poster .2 % chance to drop in the chest or off the named or its ph would of been a much better way to put these out .
  6. tarquinn21 Elder

What does a "Grouper" do after they run HAs non stop and buy everything possible on the vendor, and do all of their couple days worth of COTF content?

?

?

Assuming the "ultra-rare" drop of these items, then at least they can continue to upgrade by endlessly grinding. It is something to look forward to. Try to ignore for at least 1 second that there was a bloop in the vision here and some people farmed 40 of these items (remember, not everyone did this, only a small SMALL SMALL number of people did this.)

As it stands right now, even if you just start out as a heroic character, you can basically "max out" in a couple of months at most just doing HAs and group content. So then what? Raid I guess? What if you don't want to raid or have no way to commit to a raid guild? Just quit the game? That isn't healthy for EQ.

I'm not debating here whether the items should be t2 or t4 or whatever tier raid quality. I'm just saying having something "ultra rare" that exceeds what a group player can currently attain by normal methods is a good thing. In my opinion, any "raider" or "veteran" that disagrees is really just dumb.
  7. FcsevenXIII Augur

I think it's time for me to retire again. I came back after the developers fixed mass swarming because I thought they were serious about game balance. Leaving a known exploit up for as long as they did and no repercussion to the offenders show me exactly how much the Devs value their customers time. There is no place for a good and honest player in EQ 2014.
  8. Tarrin Augur

How do you only have repercussions against "offenders" in this scenario? Esp when they gave every indication that the "offenders" weren't doing anything wrong until you got hit with a "zone repopping in 30 mins" warning.
    Pirouette likes this.
  9. FcsevenXIII Augur

I'm sure they keep logs and can easily see who looted a majority of this overpowered loot. I suspect they are too lazy or indifferent to do it.
  10. Bigbear Augur

well i think that they should have just made these rare drops ...no trade...they arent even lore... so it has farm mode written all over it and then they didnt want it to be farmed??? really??
    Rouan, Pirouette and Sinestra like this.
  11. Brosa Augur

First off, I'm a top end grouper. I absolutely agree. No gear equivalent to current raid gear should be dropping in the group game. It has nothing to do with the "effort" that some raider puts in to get their gear. I mean really it takes a ton of effort having 50+ other people getting gear for them while they watch sports center and each Doritos.
    But honestly. The last thing we need is another raid statistic level drop with an insane clicky that farmers (mostly raiders) can flood the market with taking up the group zones. Either for plat or their 6 bot + 25 alt armies. If its SOEs intention to narrow the gap between raider and grouper then just do that.
    Bigbear likes this.
  12. tarquinn21 Elder

Didn't realize these evil farmers can hog every instance all to themselves.
    Ratbo Peep, Edrick and Pirouette like this.
  13. Vlerg Augur

I'm eager to know what will the devs do with those drops...

If they downgrade them to T1-T2, people who bought some will complain.. they spent a hefty amount of plat ( or krono) for a T4 item, not T2.

if they keep the current one as it is, but downgrade any further drop.. it's now a limited edition item, and it's value skyrocketed.

if they make it no-trade... what about people who put some on their trader? heirloom maybe?
    Pirouette likes this.
  14. Tharrg Augur

THe only solution is to correct the drop rate and do nothing else to the items...,
  15. Edrick Augur

I am eager to hear what tier quality these items are supposed to be. On one hand, the developer of charge of itemization made these as tier 2, on the other, we have a developer saying are supposed to be tier 1/2 quality.

They really should not be tier 4 since the developers wanted tier 4 to remain relevant throughout CotF - at least the first tier of it. I wish I could find that quote, it would reinforce my argument.
  16. Pirouette Augur

We have a precedent to fall back on--Ancient Ssraeshzian Armor. I was able to log on to the Test server to see what they were doing about existing armor. It remained tradable, but there was no longer a way to obtain it. As you guessed, prices for it skyrocketed. Also--the loot tables were off, allowing people to mass farm it, but (to my knowledge) nobody was punished for it. They also didn't explain the specifics of whether or not it would be tradable, so I'm going to go on "no news is good news" for this situation.

Otherwise, I seriously expect to be clearly and timely informed of what the changes will be. I did not use any "exploits" to obtain my item, I simply wanted to do an HA with heroic characters to show my returning friend what CoTF was like (he preordered before he quit). The item happened to drop for me while I was doing the quest as usual (I'll avoid specifics). I didn't even know about the new world drops when I saw it, you know the first thing I did? I went to the forums to report a broken loot table, but before I could I came across a thread where Red nameds confirm that their addition is intended. My next reaction was to start farming out HA's to get more, the only reason why I didn't was time restrictions. I would have just farmed the same mission I got it in over and over again, simply because I knew for a fact it dropped there not because I knew for a fact I would be farming an item with a broken drop rate... If a second one dropped I'd start to believe I'm crazy lucky, it wouldn't be until the 3rd one or so that I'd start to expect I "might be doing something wrong". So what then? Just delete the items or face consequences? Why should looting an item in game, killed through normal methods, be a punishable offense? This patch has barely even been out long enough for people to start calling it an exploit...
  17. melemayhem Journeyman

so the hotfix says removed from heroic missions does that mean they can still drop in normal zones?
  18. Edrick Augur

Yes, with the supposed 1 in 5000 chance.
  19. porky Augur

Well that's horrible, did 30 missions in EWK for the double XP weekend figuring with a 1/200 chance of getting "something" we would get something. Chose that cause me and my buddies still need Evoc Aug. 30 missions 3 named spawned and no Aug of course, and no anything else either. We all gave up disgusted.

Then went on to DH cause I heard that that is the only place the new items were dropping. Did about 50 missions there, and drumroll... nothing. Out of the thousands of mobs I killed with a 1/200 drop rate I would think even with the worst luck in the world I would of seen something. Maybe they meant that they were going to tell 1/200 players where to get the drops. Although I did the same missions they were doing. Either way the 1/200 drop rate they purported is a lie.

This expansion is a total waste. I hope no one was stupid enough to buy it for this junk, although I am pretty sure that is what their con was. The only good thing about them fixing this is I won't feel compelled to do anything else in that horribly designed expansion for a while.
  20. Iila Augur

I would correct you with what Elidroth posted, but at this point, I don't think anyone actually knows what the drop rate should have been. And 1/200 seems closer to what the drop rate ended up being.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.