Casual Player's top desires

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tegl, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Tarrin Augur

What are you basing this wild presumption on that EQ1 needs EQN to survive?
  2. Tarrin Augur

It sounds like you would enjoy one of the plethora of single player games out there.

Check into the Diablo franchise. You can solo for the best gear to your hearts content, while only playing with friends when you absolutely have to.

You are doing nothing but trying to completely change how the game EQ has worked for a very long long time, and turn it into primarily single player game with some multiplayer options that don't actually benefit you for player progression.
    Orbital101 likes this.
  3. Forcallen Augur

holy self centered babble. EQ should be this and this and this and not simply be. The game has worked no problem for 14 years. Adjustments and adapting are part of that but stripping the game of what is was and morphing it into what other games are isn't. If all the things you want from this game are not here then find another game that has them those of us who like this game for what it is(guess I should say was) don't have that option. I see the slippery slope has started in 15 other threads. Sadly none of our comments matter its all about grabbing those $$'s now as best they can pure and simple. Making a great long lasting niche game that continues to be a unique and builds upon what sets it apart from every other game is secondary. Its lets morph EQ into the EQN model ie copy what you think is good from every game and try to lump it all together in an attempt to appease everyone at once and cater to nothing.
  4. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

This is one of the single dumbest things I've ever seen posted. You're actually saying you think raiders fun is directly tied to you not getting the same gear for none of the effort? If someone plays 10 hours of raiding a week and you play 10 hours a week of grouping, the reward should be the same? Except you can molo the content or do it with 2-3 real people and raiders need 40+? That's absurd on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Again, raiding does not replace the group game in many many aspects! I am a raider and spend *more* time grouping than raiding.

These lump statements about the extreme raider or the extreme grouper don't represent the majority of the player base. As the extreme raider side myself, I realize I'm in the minority and am not calling out the extreme casual for getting pleasure off of getting gear I spent many hours to obtain. Kindly return the favor please.

Most raiders are not like Mr. burns trying to crush the little guy. Most casuals are not like hippies arguing for free everything. And it does everyone a great disservice when folks try to paint them as such like this.

There is nothing "not allowing" you from playing the game other than your own head.
  5. Vlerg Augur

ok, I'll bite one more time.

Doing karnor at lvl 60 is doing stuff 10 level below you. that's like a lvl 95 going to ground ( lvl 85 zone), or a lvl 100 going to valley ( lvl 90 stuff.) courtyard/ hand's room stuff is lvl 50 according to zam.

a lvl 60 in Lguk is fighting greys, some greens while the hardest names ( ghoul lord- frog king) is light blue. a lvl 100 in valley is fighting light blue with some , rare, dark blue. very few lvl 60s, and not every class, was able to solo juggs in sebilis ( still blue cons) with the addition of merc, everyone at lvl 100 is able to kill stuff in CoTF ( of course, warrior-pally-cleric-sk do it super slowly.. that's another issue). almost every class molo names, and the best soloers just laugh at them. the game is 10 time more solo-friendly than it was in the past.

CoTF mob never 1-rounded warrior. in fact, except few of the very hard hitting name ( mass of spite, shoon-roon), even my group-geared wizzy don't get 1-shotted. CoTF was never balanced around raid-gear. that's ... wanna see something balanced around raid gear? go take a look at Commander Galenth (raid) dmg output.

adding more merc per player will make the game easier. I presented my logic on that, and the evolution of EQ group-game approve that logic.

a bad DPS'er IS able to out-sustain a wizzy merc on burn ( 20k to 25k). it take an particulary terrible person to not be able to out-sustain a wizzy merc on sustain. It seems that a good player for you = a bad player for most of us, wich would explain alot ( you are bad, the game isn't unbalanced, you just need to improve... and well, if you play 1 hour a day, wich is less than the time spent on forums... it's a pretty high possibility)

EQ was always a group-game. Even back in 1999, it was pretty darn clear that you wouldn't do much stuff without a group. As early as lvl 7 and 8, people where grouping in crushbone or the orc camps.

Adding more merc per player does not bring player together. that's simply absurb.
  6. Gortar Augur

Sheex, I am saying that raiders tell me that quite often in the forums and general. I would assume they enjoy, you know, raiding. They tell me they enjoy having the best of the best loot and they deserve it.

Now this is not everyone who raids, but its a large enough percentage that I haven't met any others in the past 3-4 years.

And yes if I spend 10 hours and you spend 10 hours, I feel that we should get the same enjoyment. If you find 40 ppl more fun than 3 then that is great. I don't. That doesn't remove the social ness from the game, or change the game (gasp.. its been like this for 15 years people.. this isn't NEW). I have played this way and adopted these ideas over 15 years of PLAYING EQ ;p.
  7. Yesway Augur

Sure you should get enjoyment regardless of how you play, that doesn't mean you should get the same rewards drops wise.
    Sheex and Tarrin like this.
  8. Gortar Augur

Vlerg, Ill touch on a single point. In 99 I grouped yes. In 99 I solo'd even more. In 2014 I group ocassionally. In 2014 I solo more. (NOT MOLO SOLO).

During beta I was not the only one (I was one of MANY) who watched warriors/pals/sks get 1 rounded by named over and over. What is/was is/was. :>

I don't see this as changing the game, I see raiding as changing my vanilla EQ into a crappy e-#### fest personally. I raided with high end guilds and grew to detest it. I have no issue with raiders having fun and enjoying raid events. Raiding for raidings sake is great. Go kill the dragon, that's incredible! Having a Caste system based on Raiding versus Grouping isn't. You cant tell me that 2600 HME is not less than 3400 HME (a very simple example). You can tell me that because I don't enjoy 40 others on Drinal that I don't deserve to have the gear you have. You presume that because this is how I play that its only a few hours a week. I have 3 years /played, that is saying that I am unfortunately quite an addict :>. You won't ever make me agree with your idea, but you are welcome to present it just as I present mine.

edit: so many typos, misspellings, and grammatical errors. ;(
  9. Vlerg Augur

Enjoyment, or loot? cause for me, these are 2 different thing... it dosen't seems for you.

so just be upfront about it : what you want is raider's gear. all that crusade is about getting more and better loot.

however if you use raider's gear, then you must be ready to have content actually tuned for raider's gear ( wich is NOT blowing up all the mob in WK2 mission before deflection is over...). I highly doubt you want that, considering the troubles you seems to have currently.
  10. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Loot isn't enjoyment for everyone. I like having the best gear I can, but then again I like having the best augs, too. And vast majority of those are done via grouping. Raiding is an optional thing many do when they run out of stuff to do. I actually enjoy both settings.

The reality is that raiding requires more time and bodies, thus it's harder and has better rewards. If you take away those rewards there is little point in raiding to most people. And having a diversity of things to do with few (and many) is good for the game.

One side is calling for the complete destruction of the other. We have to play your way but you don't have to play ours? Right, because that's "fair"?

I've done the Hero's Journey on 2 toons. I've done every hunter from HoT onwards when they were current. Please don't continue to act like raiders never do anything in the group game, because it's just wrong.
  11. Vlerg Augur

What you saw in the beta dosen't matter. Why? because it was the beta, that's where they tune stuff.

Right now, there's nothing who 1-shot a tank. nothing even remotly close. It's just , tank don't drop like flies... are you tanking with a 2hander and no disc? Cause my wizard appear to tank better than you do! group-geared wizard.

I can't argue with 3400HME is better than 2600 HME, I can however point out that a 3400-2600 raid-group ratio is MUCH better than 900-400 ratio we've seens in the past... heck, I remember TSS-level group heading to anguish in order to gear up, cause OoW raid gear was better than TSS group gear.

one of Kunark biggest features, epic weapon, was reserved to raid. Raid bosses were implented in just about every high lvl zone. ( Venril sathir, trak, chardok king-queen, gorenaire, zordak, severilous, talendor)

Velious brought in a TON of raiding mobs... it's likely the most raid-focused expansion after underfoot and Gates of discord, literally half of the expansions is about raid ( sleeper, ToV, PoM being raid only... western waste might aswell be considered as a 6-man group zone for raid geared people,with several raid target in it, dragon necropolis was basicly a ghosttown except for Zlandicar, half of kael, dain, ring war was a raid-level event, shawl walk was a 12 man or 18 man event, mini-raid... ).

today EQ is LESS raid-centric than old school EQ.
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

If we weren't in the middle of one of the most group oriented expansions ever I might be more sympathetic. But we're not, and calling for the complete destruction of another's play style or desired content is as non sensical as me demanding that everyone start in their old home city, gear up every expansion by expansion without skipping any content, and forcing them to raid every raid to get to new ones. No raider is telling you you must play their way, but I guess that isn't stopping you from telling them they have to play yours?
  13. Ineptocracy Leader Elder

I have actually seen a SK go pink mist vs a redcon trash in Descending Tower i think it was. Was towards the end of a run so he might have been out of discs to use. But it was really fun to see him get vaporized before anyone could react. DI 20 rounds + flurries hurt : )
  14. Ravengloome Augur

Sir "we're in Gortar's World now!" hahaha

I don't see why you can't accept the fact you don't/never will have raid gear? I don't think raid gear is required for anything in the group game. As far as I am concerned, I wish they would tune these expacs for raiders. It sure would beat the ROFLstomp We've been having with COTF.
  15. Ravengloome Augur

^ Even a Raid geared tank can get pink misted if the mob rolls a natural 20. It's rare but it can and does happen.
  16. Ineptocracy Leader Elder

And kill the game...

You need the masses to keep the game alive, thus excluding them or place hardcore demands on their skills and/or time investment will make them go elsewere.

Economics run EQ, like it or not.
  17. Ineptocracy Leader Elder

Yeah, and those monk npcs seems to have more DI 20 then anyone else.
  18. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I play way more than I should (main box finished HJ, working on shawl aug for 3rd alt, done every 1.0 and working on 1.5/2.0's, etc etc!) but that doesn't mean I think others have to also or should. The difference is I expect some kind of gold star that's sorta meaningful, otherwise why not get another hobby altogether?

The Hero's Journey reward was a great one imo, love that clicky but it's hardly game breaking. By gortar logic everyone should get the reward items for being logged in at the keyboard for 25 hours or zoning into each expansion. Why play if there's literally no carrot? I have fun accomplishing things with people I play with or solo if everyone goes to sleep!
  19. LoonyToony Elder

Without some challenge you will end eq just as fast as with over kill. Right now there is no challenge in group settings or raid. SoE needs to step up their game majorly in both part 3 and part 4 of cotf.
  20. Ineptocracy Leader Elder

Challenge for whom? The Elite groups / raider and raider alts or the mixed bag of skills the pickup groups bring for casuals. I like to go LFG with alts and am lucky to often get groups but the skill differences are staggering. It really is another level of gaming. Often a pulling-my-hair-out in frustration level but still a level a lot of people are at. UF was my fav expansion as well, in part due to me being on paternity leave and had so much time and my group had everything ( apart from actual dps ) and could work its way through when most could not. When we after a few tries beat CC prenerf my I managed to wake my family up with my F**K YESSS!
    But at the same time over a 1/3 of my guild quit due to being unable to progress. Guess what SOE prefers.