Crashing during initial zoning from Character Select Screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kuboom, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Kuboom New Member

I recently bought a new Asus Notebook running Windows 8.1 that has an AMD A4-1200 APU chip with 1 Gig Radeon graphics chip, with 4 Gig of memory. I submitted a help ticket to SOE and still continue to have repeatable crashing problems every time I try to load the game up on this machine. I have re-installed the game several times along with the DirectX files, and tried just about every suggested solution so far. The game opens up just fine, allows me to select a server, allows me to select a character, and then crashed on the first load screen into the game. The server registers me as being online and I am able to see my character's name update on my guild roster. When I try to login following the crash, I am prompted to boot the character to continue to log in.

Any suggestions on new things to try would be very helpful.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

After the current patch goes through the following. Also post your dbg.txt. The relogging attempt into the game after the initial crash simply means the server sees the toon has been logged into the game. For you, that means your EQ client crashed during the proccess, fyi.
    • The notebook has all of its drivers (video AND sound esp), windows files, etc updated?
    • Were you trying to log onto only one toon or any toons?
      • If multiple toons, were the other toons in different locations, guilded or unguilded?
      • Have you successfully logged into EQ on the new computer at all?
      • Have you tried a different server?
      • Have you run the file scan in the Advanced Tools area of the Launchpad?
    • Did you copy/utilizing previously used files, be it character, eqclient.ini or UI files?
    • Are you using the default installation that puts the game in the Program Files directory or did you use a customized directory/folder (best if custom folder) such as c:\games\everquest etc
    • Did you try to use different resolutions on initial log in by making the change via Launchpad, Advanced Tools (cog lower left corner) then game config? Just a reminder the resolutions here are not the default resolutions of your system/video card. 800x600 or 1024x768 should be used first.
    • Are you running the shortcut as Admin?
    • Have you set exception for launchpad.exe and eqgame.exe in antivirus/internet security/firewall?
  3. Kruzar New Member

Sorry for the long delay in response, but I have been out of town. Please see below.

• The notebook has all of its drivers (video AND sound esp), windows files, etc updated?- yes all files have been updated.
    • Were you trying to log onto only one toon or any toons?- Single toon, but I have tried loading other accounts as well
      • If multiple toons, were the other toons in different locations, guilded or unguilded? All guilded, and tried in different locations
      • Have you successfully logged into EQ on the new computer at all? No, crashes at same point on all accounts
      • Have you tried a different server? yes, I have tried different servers
      • Have you run the file scan in the Advanced Tools area of the Launchpad? yes, I have also tried removing INI files and recommended files have had these redownloaded and tried to get into the game. Same issue
    • Did you copy/utilizing previously used files, be it character, eqclient.ini or UI files? All files are a fresh download of the game.
    • Are you using the default installation that puts the game in the Program Files directory or did you use a customized directory/folder (best if custom folder) such as c:\games\everquest etc- Game is downloaded in the standard path, I did not customize the download.
    • Did you try to use different resolutions on initial log in by making the change via Launchpad, Advanced Tools (cog lower left corner) then game config? Just a reminder the resolutions here are not the default resolutions of your system/video card. 800x600 or 1024x768 should be used first.- Yes, I have tried different resolutions.
    • Are you running the shortcut as Admin?- yes, and I have tried compatability mode to Win 7 and XP
    • Have you set exception for launchpad.exe and eqgame.exe in antivirus/internet security/firewall?- yes, I have set these rules and have tried starting the game with these turned off completely.
  4. Kruzar New Member

I am trying to post my DBG txt, but it is too large for the forums. Is there a way to attach the file?
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

Delete the dbg.txt then make the attempt one time. Now post the dbg.txt. You will need to break it up, usually 2 or 3 posts.

1. Either uninstall or move the game directory to some other place other than Program Files, such as drive:\games\everquest. Once done locate launchpad.exe in the new EQ directory, right click, send to Desktop (as shortcut). Now set admin rights.

2. Post dxdiag (window key + R, enter dxdiag. Save file then copy/paste the start to just past the sound card drivers.

3. Also post your existing eqclient.ini file.

4. Also, are you able to connect the laptop to an external monitor/LCD/LCD TV?
  6. Sentry New Member

I'm having the exact same problem! Every time I select my character it says server didn't respond and "you have been disconnected.
  7. Benterno New Member

I am having the same issue. It started with lagging a few days ago, then zone crashing and eventually to "server didn't respond" and "you have been disconnected". What is going on?
  8. Oldschool Elder

Same here. I first noticed it trying to zone into Shard's Landing. My necro can return home no problem. My rogue however cannot because he is based in Crescent reach and it does the same lockup thing there. I have been talking to people telling me that it is happening in many different zones
  9. Caudyr Augur

I noticed it when I went to zone into a Bixie Warfront HA to work on maps, and it locked up and gave me the "Server not responding" message. I then returned home 15ish minutes later after waiting at character select, and tried to port to PoK, where I had it happen again.

My UCS also refuses to start up, no matter how many times I zone. -_-

I just gave up and haven't left the GGH since, heh.
  10. Oldschool Elder

OK, that is strange. universal chat came back up just now and I can zone in no problem. Maybe that can give ya guys at sony an idea where to look into it?
  11. Sarkaukar Augur

Ok for the 4 posters above me, if you view this again, is your ISP Comcast ?
  12. Oldschool Elder

13. Traize New Member

I am having the same problem. I've tried everything mentioned and suggested. Any new ideas to get this game to work?
  14. Sarkaukar Augur

The issue is the CPU and/or speed of CPU. netbooks/notebooks running AMD with CPU speed around the 1GHZ mark have not been able to get pass the character select screen for quite awhile.
  15. Traize New Member

I don't think it's the CPU, but I think it could be the graphics card. I have an AMD card, my friend an Nvidia and his computer runs EQ.
  16. Sarkaukar Augur

What speed is his CPU.. ya need to compare apples to apples.
    The OP system AMD A4-1200 APU, which is a 1GHZ cpu.

Though your the problem you are having may be similar to the OP, there are different reasons why.

You should start your own thread and post your system config. Windows key +R, type in dxdiag, save the file and copy/paste the top portion of it, just past the sound card entries.