Rangers, Rogues, Berkerers and Shadowknights

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Ravengloome Augur

Underfoot was the height of modern EQ. Everything since then has been alot more watered down, and far less punishing. Apparently though thats what the masses want, so thats what we are going to keep getting.
  2. Goth Augur

Looking back i enjoyed UF. but i remember bickering like hell when doing that content.

Outside of a few zones the expansion sucked. Poor spawn rates, OP trash mobs, to many HP trash mobs.

Named difficulty was about right for a group that had a real tank and solid DPS.

Although even UF claiming to be a rough expansion we did it with 3 chars and 3 mercs in group gear. We were able to kill every mob in the final tear and most of all the other named too.

HoT on the other hand was pretty easy compared to UF. We sort of ruined the experience of that expansion by racing to the end though. I don't think we geared up at all from UF final tear to HoT final tear.
  3. Ravengloome Augur

I liked pretty much every zone in Underfoot. They actually had a dungeony feel to them. They also were not forgiving with the see invis, and general pound you into the ground Damage output.

That being said. Convorteum was kind of a letdown. It was a pure candyland, without any real risk or danger. If you could handle getting flagged for Convorteum, it was basically a joke.

Crystallos on the other hand when that was current was pretty rough for group geared groups. I enjoyed that end zone far far far more then Convorteum. There was risk, there was reward. It was darn good, fits pretty high on my list of favorite endgame zones.
    Leerah, drkoli and Moklianne like this.
  4. Rinerin New Member

I never used Assassinate as a tool to gain AA, as it was only viable to do so when using along with Counter Attack. CA for a long time had a reuse of around 30-40 minutes, which was not great for getting AAs.

What I found Assassinate useful for was clearing trash for tradeskill items or for doing Hunters in older content. It allowed me to kill trivial mobs quicker. With the changes I can now do high damage against higher level mobs. Granted the proc is not as often, but it does go up to level 99. The one restriction it still has is that it only works on Humonoids.

I haven't heard of any Rogues quitting over it, and frankly it would be rather sad if they did. If that was the crutch you used to play your character than you probably were never that good to begin with. You get more AA from a good group than you did solo with Assassinate.

I can see why people enjoyed HS, Decap, & Assassinate, but I don't sympathize that the play style has changed.
  5. Zantor Augur

Can't say for the other classes, though not hear to many complain all that much in my guild, just us SK's over our epic clicky, most of us don't swarm, no need to know with how easy XP is to get but the clicky has saved our butts so many times in groups and raids. Maybe put a 12 mob limiit on the SK epic clicky, anymore then 12 mobs it now work or dissapates, to be in line with he mage nerf.
    Leerah likes this.
  6. Stubar Augur

Because of the patch, I made 4 gold rangers, a gold rogue, a gold zerkers and 2 gold SK to help with the loss that SoE will incur.

Change is inevitable, that's life. We learn to adjust and find new ways to make the best of the situation until the next big "change". Rinse, repeat.

The changes just keep on a coming no matter how much resistance we offer.
    Obiziana likes this.
  7. Tornicade_IV Augur

Quite frankly mass swarming was one of the things that contributed to my decline in pay time. I didnt enjoy swarming and i didnt feel compelled to do it to keep up with the other SK's. It certainly inhibited my hances of getting back into a raid guild without being willing to make that sort of time commitment to keep my toon properly aa's in correlation to not content but other players. heck I was even ridiculed for not going out and swarming out the night before the patch. I havent found any decrease in my functions and while the hit counts imposed may or may not require tuning at lest they can be tuned unlike the changes that were initially proposed for riposte. The changes for other classes seemed more than fair.
  8. Leerah Augur

I'm sick of the attitude that says only the best players should be allowed to play. If some people need easy-mode, what business is it of yours? Not everyone has to play to your standards.
  9. silku Augur

If you consider 91 and up lower levels? Remember zerkers don't get decap till 91. I think they should change that too. Give it to zerkers just like headshot/assassinate. That way level 70-99 isn't so bad for a zerker, and people might actually want them in their groups.
    Sinestra likes this.
  10. Leerah Augur

For me, swarming was never something I did with my SK. MC didn't proc often enough. Same thing with the zerker. When MC or decap did go off, I yelled, "OMG What do I do now?!!!" ;-D Right about then, the zerker died so it didn't matter.
  11. Leerah Augur

You misunderstood the reason I am letting gold accounts go silver. It is because we are being forced into a Play One Toon for Two Hours a Night model.
    silku likes this.
  12. Burdi Augur

This is a good thing that the mass kill feature got tuned off.
    The zone like feerot was constantly camped by PLErs.
    This is a good thing that the game mechanisms get updated and revised.
  13. Leerah Augur

From the time when it was no longer a hot zone, to the time when the headshot nerf was announced, it was hardly ever occupied on our server. People would log on, run their 's lessons and then log off. It certainly was no good after level 95! Once the nerf was announced, people got as much as they could. This is a case of self-rectifying things.
  14. Rinerin New Member

I don't see how my play style, or what I said, was stating that only the best players should play those classes. If someone can't play a ranger/rogue/sk/zerker unless they can one shot the mob then they should be playing tic-tac-toe or something less stressful.

I also don't see how this is forcing people to only playing one character at a time. At least not the majority of the people who still play EQ. If you forced yourself into a position where you could only do old content killing light blue mobs with 5 rangers, rogues, sk, or zerkers then it's time to move on.
  15. Rinerin New Member

Additionally, the ability for Rogues to Assassinate is still in game. The proc rate has lessened, but you can now hit level 99 mobs. There is still a benefit to having the AA, but you can't pull a handful of light con mobs and dispatch of them as quickly. It can still be done though.
  16. Eggborn Lorekeeper

I haven't swarmed in a year or two, and I love this game too much to quit. I am hoping for more utility on raids, etc. My shadowknight class has changed since 2001 when I started playing, and it will change again, big deal. So far I boxed a shaman with two caster mercs in shadow (I hadn't played there before so can't compare) I was able to handle adds when I got them and not die. I also raided in Grelleths, and the Horade raid. I died some on the Hoarde raid, but I think that was the 40k headshots I was taking sometimes. I did a fair share of kiting, but like I always have. We wiped once due to a gigantic lag spike for the instanced, and the main zone going to the instanced was extremely laggy. I was jumping all over the place. I think I see more lag now.. Who knows, but I ain't quitting. This game is still fun for me.
  17. Leerah Augur

If I did that, the largest guild on Povar would dissolve.

I don't get a 'choice' to only do old content. My learning disability and mitochondrial disease has taken away my choices. I guess I don't have the right to play if I don't meet your standards.
    Songsa likes this.
  18. savrin Augur

Underfoot was one the really good expansions I can remember. However, a few things really sucked about it.

1) raid were way overtuned for when it was current. Like maybe 10% of raid guilds could do them which was horrible for the raiding population. Guilds folded and people quit like crazy.

2) Flagging missions for t8 and t9 were mostly not tuned well at all. 4+ hour missions were hated by a lot of people.

3) See invis mobs everywhere so you had to train everywhere to get to camps. I used to run to where I wanted to go and hit playing possum and hope it worked for a lot of zones.

4) Almost every mob in the expansion summoned.

Despite all that, I really liked Underfoot but I think I was in the minority. Grouping was fun other than the missions. Just had to group with raiders though since group geared folks are not gonna beat named.
    Yinla and Mithrandyr like this.
  19. Adeptis New Member

Rogue, Zerker, magician, shadow knight in my usual group still all happy enough.
    Cleric however decided to let account lapse.

Was very surprised at the 'seeming' cleric indifference to the changes .. the vocal classes that were being nerfed came out of the wash reasonably happy and in many ways better off. Clerics said just about nothing so they got shafted.
  20. Rinerin New Member

If you can navigate the EQ Forums and post about AA that were changed in a recent patch then you can understand how to play EQ with any class. The last expansion is just as straight forward as the last 14 they put out.

If UC dissolved because you were upset with the changes made in the recent patch then maybe some restructuring should be done. Any guild that folds because of one person isn't a guild.
    Phrett likes this.