Changes with the February Update: Developer Updates

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Prathun, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Quilix Elder

Also quoting Devs when asked where this data came from - The 2+ year ago poll that was held prior to FTP bringing lot of players back to game and probably some people who had voted have since left. When asked many times about putting a new poll into game now - i.e. 1 paid account can only have 1 vote so NO ambiguity! This has been repeatedly ignored. Come on they still haven't put in a system message at login to warn anyone unaware of this what is going to happen. So yes you are probably flogging a dead horse - but just possibly the wrong one.
  2. Piestro Augur

You could do that, I could do that, a lot of people posting could do that. We know exactly where to go. We know exactly what to do. We know what gear to target, and how all the systems work.

This isn't true of most new/returning players. What takes us hours takes them days. What takes us a week takes them many months. So for us yes, this makes things quite a bit easier. For them, 6 months to level 85 isn't at all unusual.

Make a little more sense now?
    Pirouette, Maagick, Teranna and 2 others like this.
  3. Piestro Augur

We've gotten some excellent feedback from clerics and are looking at the numbers specifically. We'll probably tweak them up a bit to make them more in line with how the spell is currently used in normal situations.
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

Has some one suggested
    can you make the defaults -zero value dont effect AA counts. so to keep the 0-4000 AA bonus. its not like they are being bought but just given out.

using the toggle on to give the defauts would limit their be caping the AA - count achivements to what they can buy while other who bought their AA's normaly would get the higher level achievments. Giving some thing to the players who do the the nomal way.
  5. Buler-ill New Member

Yep I was fine with it, seems to be always sk's in gen chat offering pl's for the most part, occasionally a zerker or ranger, never seen a rogue offer it ever. And going by the hours long arguments in chat, you would be an idiot to get a pl from a zerker or ranger when you could get one from an sk. Even solo I get maybe 30 aa on a lesson burn most of the time because I get too bored headshotting to try and maximise it in any real way. I dont even usually use the ae spells, just /autofire unless its taking forever for hs to go off. I still don't get why Soe doesn't just punish the people that are actually causing the problem instead of forcing this change on the 99% of players who don't want 100 mobs chasing them and beating on them but do want something to gain aa with solo.
    Ssixa likes this.
  6. Piestro Augur

We're definitely trying. We've got these details out now (instead of a couple days before) and are modifying them based on player feedback. From a communication standpoint months is too long. More people forget in that time, or can't keep up with the discussion, than would benefit. We'll keep the feedback in mind though.
    Pirouette likes this.
  7. Piestro Augur

Some people want the ability to just stop at a certain level and play at that level without having to worry about. The glyph is a way to spend AA endlessly that does... nothing. So someone can put all their experience to AA, and every time they have enough spend it on this thing that does nothing (thus burning off their experience). It's an easy change for us, and we can understand why some people might want that kind of option, so we're making it happen.
    Deloehne likes this.
  8. Quilix Elder

Be careful - Due to your AA curve being used up - the differences in playing time that your players have is then going to start separating you again as you try to get AA for the higher content - So yes will work at the start but could backfire - With the changes coming to abilities used to PL or swarm AA as well then not so many options for catching up in high end game.

This might not be the case with your group - just something to take into consideration - the auto grant may not cure the problem you are quoting - just mask the symptoms for a while at the start.
  9. Buler-ill New Member

We're definitely trying. We've got these details out now (instead of a couple days before) and are modifying them based on player feedback. From a communication standpoint months is too long. More people forget in that time, or can't keep up with the discussion, than would benefit. We'll keep the feedback in mind though.[/quote]

Can you answer me this, not on the aa discussion, but on the swarm fixes, if rangers headshotting don't swarm, and most if not all don't because its more dangerous and often worse xp wise to swarm than it is to kill 1 or 2 at a time, why are you changing headshot again? It's already been nerfed to stop swarming, and that nerf worked.
  10. gcubed Augur

Only if assassinate will fire off a backstab made with a 1HB and Decap only fire when the berserker has a shield in the off hand.
  11. Xiaoyu Journeyman

sent 4
  12. Xiaoyu Journeyman

how would a shield be placed in the offhand of a 2hander?
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I appreciate your trying. This entire issue being brought up as it was is a very good sign.

As for the "people forget or can't keep up", I recommend the same thing I recommended when you said that you don't like to post about scheduled patches too far ahead of time, that is to do what you did with this issue, that is you created a thread, got feedback and then created a follow up thread.

So for things you don't want to announce "too soon", you can make a thread and then at the "proper" time lock the old thread and create a new one with the last post in the old thread being, "Hey, post in the new thread here [link] on this now".

In other words, the "new" thread would be just like your current threads with allowing an "old" thread to give us a "what's coming" for those who want the extra time to deal with the issues involved.

Sort of like a snooze button on an alarm clock :).
    Quilix and withteeth like this.
  14. Piestro Augur

With the grant, people will still get the choice benefit at higher levels (85+). At lower levels they'll get the grant. So there is still a mix.

As to respeccing, it's complicated. Respeccing works a lot better in a game with 300 abilities. When you start talking about thousands of permutations things break. I can respec my AA on my gm character, it doesn't work well.
    Teranna likes this.
  15. Potawatomi Augur

Then they haven't gotten to it yet or it wasn't that good. Patience.
  16. withteeth Journeyman

I am just a little shocked how outraged some of us are when it seems there are leaps and bound being made by Piestro and SOE to not only listen to our concerns, but address them as well. It seems to me that almost all legitimate concerns have already been met. Please explain what class, with empirical data, is still being shafted? Some seem to have been given a gift outside the realm of swarming which will improve their classes.
    Mintalie likes this.
  17. Tarrin Augur

Then I am sure your idea was read, and not ignored?
  18. Piestro Augur

Balancing that is really really hard. Clerics are so powerful in a lot of ways that anything you give them tends to want to turn itself into a force multiplier. We are looking at the numbers on this ability though.
  19. Ruvan New Member

Piestro

This is probably going to spark a whole new flame fest, but it hasn't been asked that I've seen, and really should have been.

As I understand it from the various post on this and the original thread, the ramped up AA bonus was supposed to be TEMPORARY due to an idea a couple years ago to do the very thing everyone is now upset about; granting aa's for new/returning players (I am one of those returning players; came back about a year and a half ago after a 6+ year hiatus). If I am wrong about this, my apologies for the following question.

Is the ramp up bonus still going to be in play after the AA grant is in place? I ask this because it will affect how I use the aa grant on future toons. If the grant is replacing the ramped up bonus, I will use it immediately: if it is in addition to the ramp up, I may wait a few 1000 aa's before enabling it. Thank you for your response
  20. gcubed Augur

It can't be any more than a rogue can get a backstab with a 1HB weapon.
    Axeion and shuttupnquitalready like this.