Changes with the February Update: Alternate Ability Grants for Gold Members and Ability Changes

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Piestro, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinestra Augur

Being a part of it is fine, but the majority of players never come here and therefore nothing on the boards is representative of the playerbase as a whole.
  2. WayCoolJr New Member

To me, the reason this is a "game changer" is because it is not an option.
    You always had the option to use or not use potions, veteran AAs, mercs, defiant gear, going to flagged zones, etc.
    This is being thrust upon us, currently without option to not use it.
    Lighteningrod likes this.
  3. Eandolf Elder

Ok, fair enough. So if there was some option to "opt-out" of getting the AAs granted, there's no issue here? Is it really that simple? We needed a 100 page thread to get to this point? I can see an opt-out capability, I would be behind that.
    Jent likes this.
  4. Langya Augur

LOLZ.

Ok, how is that different from someone buying a character from some auction site I won't name or someone buying Krono and selling it for plat or directly trading it to someone for PLing services? What you speak of already happens. Your friends you gave the cold shoulder to will still have access to the same player economy you do and might just chose to pay someone to beam their way to victory. The means of bypassing the "traditional" uphill, both ways barefoot in the snow exist whether or not this patch goes live. If it does go live, it does less collateral damage to everyone else's experience in game from the perspective of taxing hardware and zone disruption.Some of the nerfs are stupid, but they are not, IMHO, deal breaking. Most of them also have been a case of "We know the party is going to be over. Its just a manner of when".
    That aside, If it came to telling someone I care about that they need to suffer through all the same trials and tribulations I have over the past 15 years just to bask in the glory of my presence in a manner that I can feel good about all the times I didn't go out and do whatever with them in the past....you know what is going to happen?

They are going to tell me to F off and play my stupid game without them. That's what. Same crap they have been doing. I don't need them to hold my "blankie" for me, but I still cherish their company. You sir need to maybe take a look at your priorities in life...
    Jent likes this.
  5. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Making the granting require a player-executed command, like "/betabuff", sounds simple, but it would be one more confusing thing for a new player to deal with.
    Sinestra likes this.
  6. Cevil's Remains Master

For some that may be the case, but after some thought, not for me. Not trying to fight with ya by any means, but I dont support any type of granting of this magnitude ever in a game I honestly love. Even if we were talking about 50% the grant, I would say the exact same thing. I dont like it, and it makes me not want to play as much anymore, ALREADY! Not making threats as many have, but I have no doubt they are seeing a negative impact already with recurring accounts.
  7. WayCoolJr New Member

Every chance that Piestro has said that it could become an option has instead been a reply stating that people need these 4k AAs to catch up. There has been statements about changes to SK are being considered, and other items. But nothing about the AAs being an option.

Personally, I don't like the AA granting at all. However, every indication is that it is a done deal, with no option. So, I am just trying to at least have some sense of personal accomplishment.
  8. idej Augur

I just don't understand what the issue is with the mass killing play style. I have never run into an issue where it has effected me anymore than another group camping a spot in a zone. Some people don't like the one vs one killing grind. Some of us pull a big pull, kill it, rest (ie take care of kids, house work, eat.) then come back and repeat.

Finding a group is a chore, it is one thing that EQ is lacking. The time to get one going vs the exp reward is not worth it at any level of this game. Maybe if grouping was easier to get going and more rewarding people would not need the mass kill gimics or certain task adds for exp.
    aniam likes this.
  9. aniam Journeyman

I keep hitting refresh waiting for the "april fools" post. But then i remember its february :(
  10. Garshok Augur

Spoken like someone who has never had to off-tank more than one mob at a time in a group or raid setting. Or, given the screen name, tank at all. Don't fall for it.
    Sinestra and Syanu like this.
  11. Azzudien Augur

Like the proposed changes
  12. Cevil's Remains Master

This is simply the wrong answer to a valid issue in game, a very wrong answer. I have read several suggestions by those who have mixed opinions, that make much more sense. Fix the AA curve to accommodate new players, but dont do something that kicks many of us in the face. And please, just STOP with the "I dont see how you are upset" responses, we get that you are in favor of the grant, now accept that we ARE NOT
    Caell likes this.
  13. Myric227 New Member

Will these also include the muramite proving grounds resists aa's and the DoN progression aa's?
    Caell and Fenthen like this.
  14. Sinestra Augur

When asked about making the AAs optional, he said this...

15. Taza New Member

As per SK swarming the best way to stop it is to just take away the Mortal Coil AA, that is all you have to do. SKs can't swarm without Mortal Coil.

Mortal Coil is useless as a raid utility, the only thing it's really useful for is swarming. SKs hardly ever get the kill shot even when off tanking adds, the 2.0 epic is very valuable, just take Mortal Coil to stop the swarming issue.

One of the main functions of SKs on raids is add tanking, our area effect aggro spells and Hate's Attraction make us idea for that role, but we need the 2.0 epic and riposte heals to carry out that function. Don't nerf SK raid utility to stop swarming when all you have to do is take away Mortal Coil.

Take Mortal Coil and give SKs some other piece of candy to replace it, killing spree has been suggested.

As per the AA issue I really don't care, four expansions worth of AA is still plenty of work to do to earn your stripes and learn the game, particularly if you're in effect killing power leveling.
    Jent, Syanu and Fenthen like this.
  16. McDougal Augur

You should have bound at the Qeynos bank and put your uber leather armor in there and ran nekkid to South Ro like I had too to get my gamebreaking vision spell. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=2476 . The trauma of running through Kithcor was very upsetting though. Only took me about 6 tries though.
    Jent, Fenthen and Sinestra like this.
  17. IhateSockPuppets New Member

For me, the reward for grouping has always been that of making new friends, having good conversation while passing the time of the grind. But, then again, I'm not one who's ever been obsessed with how fast I level. Likewise, though, I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I do (or when I reach some AA milestone). From the tone of your comment, it appears you have that obsession I do not have (race to the finish with as little time looking at screen as possible) and abject contempt for any social interaction you might stumble into along the way. Very sad, from a social psychology perspective. You're not here to make friends, but to fill time between diaper changes.
  18. Vanety New Member

Well spotted Steve (give the man some cookies :D) - However this thread is about more than the 2 subjects you chose to include. Swarming is causing server lag problems from SOE's point of view and zone disruption problems from players point of view. This is just another type of zone disruption that is actively supported by SOE and because they designed it this way so it not an exploit / problem. However all the changes we are now going through are things that were designed that way, and now years down the line they are saying sorry we got it wrong.:rolleyes: Just trying to save a lot of time with this one later when every zone up to 70 has its prime paths staked by AFK chars that you can't pull past in case their mercs are in combat and your pulls latch onto the fight. Ah hang on - I can just buy a lvl 85 toon and miss all that - sorry forgot :)
  19. Langya Augur

There isn't anything wrong with it.

If I happen to be in a raiding guild that doesn't mind me taking a leave of absence to help level a friend or family member than cool.

Most would be less than happy with that decision however. It happens all the time, but people will tend to just take an unexplained AFK to do so and ask for forgiveness later. There are only so many hours in the day that are free after all and getting someone prepped up for lvl 100 is not fast for most people no matter what you do.
  20. Beammeup New Member

Well first off, buying a character or Krono on a 3rd party site, is against the EULA, what we're talking about are all things that are being proposed or used using current in game methods. Your punishing someone for having capability.

Your idea that people would just pay for beaming constantly is an absurd one. Yes, people do pay for PLs obviously. But again, we are concerning this discussion between anyone willing to pay $15 automatically gets ~4kAAs when they reach level 85. Not, the number of people who have the time to farm countless amounts of plat, those are not the people who are most concerned. There's always been some form or another of Power Leveling in this game. There always will be. As long as someone more powerful than you, can help you get exp in a considerably easier way, there will always be power leveling.

I said nothing about anyone needing to go through "every trial and tribulation I did for 15 years" in order to bask "in my glory." At this point your just being an idiot putting words in my mouth, but I'll grant you your reply. No, I don't think everyone has to go through every thing I ever did, but they do need a level of understanding when it comes to positively affecting any kind of interaction they have with other people. Your proposing that anyone with an internet connection and $15 should be able to be just as powerful as I am after all the time I've invested. They WILL NOT get the real EXPERIENCE (by that I mean an actual experience) of playing their characters in a meaningful way that teaches them the capabilities of their character. People who are constantly getting alts PLd are not these people. They often are PLers themselves, just leveling up alts. They at least know how to do some research and learn to play the game. Obviously, as they learned how to Power Level apparently.

If anything, you sir, need to "evaluate" your priorities in life. The constant stream of comparing imaginary things in an imaginary game to real life situations is dumb. Think of it this way. All the time that most of us spent getting those AAs, that will now be given away for free, we do not get back. We do not get back the time we spent grinding AAs one weekend instead of going out with friends. This is just an example, but I'm sure everyone has at least one story where EQ took precedence over RL. This entire argument about free AAs really just boils down to people never getting the time they invested returned. And no, I dont think some Title, or mount, or clicky, makes up for hours of hours of gameplay. Nor do I think that an out of context poll from 3 years ago should have any bearing on what is being done now in game! That's just plain silly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.