2014 Membership - Update from Smed

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Ashlanne, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ashlanne Lorekeeper

"Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. We listened.

Here are the basics of our revised plan. Please note - we have not had the time to do estimates of the work involved, and also we're continuing to listen. so this isn't baked just yet. Do not expect that this is all going to happen immediately. We plain don't know yet. we're doing that meeting tmw.

1) We're lowering the price of All Access to $14.99 2) We're going to make it so every subscriber to all our PC games an all access member. Basically there will be one SOE membership for our PC games. Please note there are some minor restrictions around our kids titles (simply put - if you're a 12 year old who signed up for FR you won't have access to the adult games so we'll likely leave the lower priced kids offerings as separate subscriptions for under 12 for the same low prices). 3) We're keeping the 500 SC included with the subscription instead of going to the "pick an item" system. We heard you. You didn't like the change. The only change we are making is that we're now going to make you claim it monthly. You can still hoard it though I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it's the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread. 4) we are going to be giving our members a 10% discount in our marketplaces. 5) European players - we have an idea on how to include you in this but we need to discuss with our partners.We have a pretty good idea on this though. give us a bit of time to suss this out. 6) Nothing is changing with Player Studio items - you'll still be able to buy them with your 500SC. 7) Console titles - you'll notice I only mentioned the PC titles. Our goal is to include the PS3 and PS4 games that we have, but I want to be up front and say that isn't a done deal.

In a nutshell that's where our head is at.

As always your feedback is welcomed. Please do us a big favor and carefully think about #3. Our goal is to give you more value in the subscription to make it more attractive and making it simpler in the process.
    I really feel like we're making a good decision going this route. It makes things simpler and gives more value to our players.

Thanks

Smed"

Originally posted here:http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1ulcav/moving_forward_with_subscription_plan_changes/

------
    * Please keep all discussion regarding the membership changes to this thread, so we can easily monitor all feedback. Thank you in advance!
    Nuada, Lady Eternity, Kitsune and 4 others like this.
  2. Zaph Augur

Ok, So you locked the other thread as I was midway through posting a question !.

Is this new All Access sub @ $14.99 per month a flat rate, no matter how long you subscribe for? (IE like previous EQ subs having some small discount for being 3 monthly, 6 month, and yearly)

Is there going to be a option for "longer than a month" subscriptions, and what if any benefit will there be.
  3. Tobynn Augur

A very sensible LoN-like solution to the problem of players that never log on yet still accumulate SC and infuriate the accountants.
    Moklianne and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  4. Rorce Augur

I can't find it now, but this question came up on Reddit earlier, and I believe Smedley said that the current subscription rates would not change, and the discounts for longer term subs would remain as they are.
  5. Yesway Augur

I was actually looking forward to being able to buy a level 3 xp pot every month, but since I was a minority in the vocal side it's fine. Like I said, it's a bonus so I'll never turn it down since it is free.
    Elricvonclief, Aanuvane and Rorce like this.
  6. ClapClap Elder

So will there be a new button to the UI to differentiate SC that you bought and SC that was accumulated? We'll just have to log on and claim it, right? Also, you said that you will limit what can be bought with this. Are we to expect all the actual good stuff like biggest bags and potions and server xfers to be off the list? Also, will we be able to buy an item using some bought SC and some of the 500SC? Or will they be entirely separate? I guess it's still better than your previous ''gift'' to us. PS: Don't offer us too many gifts this year. We've become philanthropists and we'll go without ;p
  7. Koneko Augur

yea I was thinking of things I was going to use it on guess I will just get more sc piling up I don't feel like using
  8. Eandolf Elder

Thank you for listening SoE, we appreciate it.
    JdarAivat likes this.
  9. Rorce Augur

When the announcement said nothing is changing with Player Studio items, I'd assume this also meant there won't be any other limitations on what you can use the free SC for.

It seems to me like the only thing changing is you won't automatically get the 500 SC month from now on, youl'll have to probably click on a button that says "Gimme my monthly SC!".
  10. Tual Augur

What? You'd use it if it was a chunk you had to use monthly, yet won't use it if it accumulates? I don't get it.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. ClapClap Elder

They did mention that we could hoard it and that's great of course. That's what we want. I'm more worried about what will be included/excluded from the list...They did say in the other thread I think it was that there would be limits on what items we could get. So maybe the playerstudio stuff will all be included but what will be excluded now is the big question. Will it rotate by months too...That would likely be better too....This month we won't allow this but this month we will instead of always ''this is a no no''. People will have spent some of their SC in the meantime so not everyone will be able to get the item with the ''free'' SC if it's something more expensive. Take xfer tokens for example.
  12. IceSy Augur

This news, I am thinking,... will make a lot of players smile. It's always good to try to think "outside the box",. but sometimes thinking to far in the extreme can cause unexpected and unwanted repercussions. This new plan I can see working 100x better for everyone than what was announced Friday! ;)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  13. Yesway Augur

I wouldn't say "everyone", but it is a good compromise.
  14. Aanienu New Member

Does this work for all future games ex. eqnext or is it just for the games that are currently active? And will we automatically be changed or will we have to change ourselves?
  15. Phancy Elder

Thank you sincerely.
  16. Melanippe Augur

I rather think that the hoarding remark was facetious and not meant to be construed as being allowed to continue to save the SC each month for use at a later date. Emphasis mine. I would like a clarification of this particular statement.

" 3) We're keeping the 500 SC included with the subscription instead of going to the "pick an item" system. We heard you. You didn't like the change. The only change we are making is that we're now going to make you claim it monthly. You can still hoard it though I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it's the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread."
  17. Melanippe Augur

Per Smedley:
    "1) We're lowering the price of All Access to $14.99 2) We're going to make it so every subscriber to all our PC games an all access member. Basically there will be one SOE membership for our PC games. Please note there are some minor restrictions around our kids titles (simply put - if you're a 12 year old who signed up for FR you won't have access to the adult games so we'll likely leave the lower priced kids offerings as separate subscriptions for under 12 for the same low prices)."

1: I have absolutely NO interest whatsoever in any other of your current game offerings. I play EverQuest. Period. Therefore I have no interest whatsoever in an All Access package at any price!
    2: I have a Gold account, a recurring subscription which is $99.99 per year based on a special promotion which, I was assured at purchase and subsequently reassured would NOT be altered until or unless I let said subscription lapse. There were NO caveats to that guarantee. I trust there shall be no change to my account in that regard!
    Narye and Lethandor_Cazic like this.
  18. Yesway Augur

I'm not sure what is ambiguous about the statement. You can still save up the SC, you just have to claim the 500 each month instead of it automatically accruing as it does now. The the only thing that is not clear is if the claims will carry over or if you'll only have a max of one. I'm guessing you only ever have 1 claim available at a time.
  19. Tobynn Augur

Just like the monthly freebie packs in Legends of Norrath, you will need to actually log in once a month and claim your free shiz. If you don't bother to log in and claim it, you don't get any free SC.

Seems pretty clear to me.
  20. Melanippe Augur

So the following (emphasis mine) statement refers to the "pain" of logging in once a month?

"You can still hoard it though I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it's the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread."

You won't mind if I, one of the so-called "jaded" referred to by Smedley, wait for a definitive answer from SoE, I trust. :)