Dead Horse and ROF Raid Currency

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zirk, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Zirk New Member

Time to beat a dead horse.

Prices on raid vendors in Shard's Landing seem to have their prices set based on the value of the item in comparison to other items of the same tier. That makes sense. A regular ring shouldn't cost more than a chest. Makes sense.

Now the prices per tier fluctuate. A ring for Tier 1 costs different than a ring from Tier 2 and Tier 3. The explanation is that there are different amounts of raids available per week, so the items should cost differently. That doesn't make a lot of sense. The rate a guild / raid force takes to clear a tier is different. A family guild will never clear a tier at the same speed as the top end guild of a server, even years later! Sure, the currency is a nice bonus but why not standardize it? We've all been playing Everquest for a long time now and we all KNOW that these prices will still be same 10 years from now if the game is still running.

All I am asking is that if a ring costs 5 raid wins for Tier 1, make it cost 5 wins on every tier. Idle curiosity - how many guilds / raid forces are completely clearing RoF Tier 2 each week NOW?
  2. Zirk New Member

Oh and as long as I am asking, how about the ability to downgrade the coins to lower tiers?
  3. Izcurly Augur

Do you realize that, other than basic operations and real emergencies, all of SoE is on vacation until after the new year? Don't expect your dead horse to even be noticed. You already know the answer, anyway.

And you're right, nobody does full T2-runs once they're able to do T3 or T4. Call it motivation.
  4. Crystilla Augur

Currency is a bonus to help folks get those rare drops that never want to drop for a raid force. It's been stated by Devs it's not supposed to be used as your primary source of gearing.

It is standardized already - by the # of clears of a tier needed. (It's just not standardized for how you want it).
    - Trust me, with the pricing on the rare rare drops, I agree I wish that was cheaper, especially for guilds who might have killed Vulak once to say they did and never again.

Have they ever downgraded coins yet in any recent expansion?
  5. Caudyr Augur

Weren't they talking about consolidating the RoF and VoA currencies into 1 currency per expansion, though?
  6. Crystilla Augur

I can't recall fully, is why I asked. I know players have asked about it a lot, but in terms of feasibility to do I don't know that there was a commitment to doing it (maybe a we'll look into it?).?
  7. Zirk New Member

It's kind of funny saying that coins are just a bonus. Sure, old raids made it more difficult to get that one rare item that never seemed to drop. But these coins aren't a favor to us, it's their way to fix an issue that was stated over and over - class only items on a raid mob that a guild might beat once and then ignore because of difficulty etc etc.

I am just saying to base the cost on something nebulous like how many coins a guild might get if they beat every raid boss of a given tier in a given week is a kind of funny way to measure things. For instance, tier one bosses drop 2 misc items usually. Tier 2 bosses drop 2 misc items usually. Coins are the same for both bosses. So, if you kill one of each week it'll take you 5 weeks to get an item that didnt drop for you OR it'll take you 17 weeks.

Measuring a price by how many times you could clear a whole tier might be like making the prices based on how many times you kill every raid mob in an expansion (across all tiers). Sure - it's a way to measure things but it's probably not the most common sense one. Kill a boss, get the coin, buy an item.... why add a mechanic of how many times a tier MIGHT get cleared a week into that?!?
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Nissko, Axxius and Khat_Nip like this.
  9. dpsdpsdps Elder

i do agree the t2 rof prices are a bit high, otherwise no issues really. 168 for a non vis is ..a bit much i would say 120 (double t1), t3 and t4 seem about right for the reward though. and t1 is just fine.
  10. Khat_Nip Meow

They are not too high by virtue of exactly the reasoning Beimeith stated.
    Axxius likes this.
  11. Tearsin Rain Augur

following up with what beimeith said:
    don't think of prices in terms of number of clears, because that's not how items are priced.
    think of it in terms of time - each item is priced so that it takes the same amount of time to get the currency needed to put an item on the same slot for every tier.

if they want a ring to cost 2 weeks to buy, the price will be however much currency you can get from that tier in 2 weeks regardless of how many raids are in that tier - so, tiers with more raids have more expensive items.
    if they want a BP to cost 6 weeks, the price will be however much currency you can get from that tier in 6 weeks, regardless of how many raids are in that tier - so, tiers with more raids have more expensive items.
    conversely, tiers with less raids have less expensive items.
  12. Zirk New Member

Let's look at your time measurement then. It takes a full week plus one boss to earn a T1 misc item. It takes two full weeks minus one boss to get a T2 misc item. Why the difference?
  13. Axxius Augur

They don't have to clear it at the same speed, as long as they clear it within a week. The prices are based on the number of raids available for clearing in 1 lockout cycle. If some guild is not able to clear a tier in a week, then they are simply not ready for this tier and should go farm the previous tier.

Also, why do you think that your proverbial 'family guild' deserves the same amount of loot as the 'top guild' while admitting that they are not playing on the same level?
    Nissko likes this.
  14. Axxius Augur

Because T1 is a 'catch up' tier, specially designed to bring lesser geared guilds to the T2 level. It's meant to help you. But it doesn't mean that every tier should be like that.
  15. CrazyLarth Augur

well, we could ask for a modification some of the T2 mobs to stop droping the T2 coin so they can lower the cost of T2 items but leave their T2 mob kill flags and items in for the T2 coin to be bought in unlocked.
    But would peeps who can raid all T2 mobs in one week would think that would be a dumb suggestion?
  16. Stubar Augur

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again.

Remember that time we all raided before currency? We did it and we liked it.

I personally have never...ever geared up as quickly as I have since the introduction of currency. I'm sure there are many other that feel that way.

Currency will always in my mind be a bonus. Sooooo many old items I never got because of terrible drop rates. Dem Brumal's were so scared of me, they hid the entire duration of TSS. This expansion, I was able to save up currency to get a Royal Thex Katar, and that's only from raiding one day a week, not every time the events come off lock out.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Those things drop like candy for us, 8 so far I think
  18. Khat_Nip Meow

It makes perfect sense and is the reason it's set up the way it is.

So you keep going until you've earned enough currency to buy what you like. There is absolutely no reason anything should be changed.
    If a guild can barely farm 3 of 8 events per week they should be compensated by being able to buy 1 chest loot item after a short time?

Ok, let's use some examples with varying arbitrary costs leaving aside for the moment what you suggest as getting more for doing less:

As it stands now this is the amount of time it takes to earn enough coin to afford a base item for its tier:

Tier 1 = 1.2 weeks
    Tier 2 = 2.1 weeks (1.8 weeks if you also add Vulak)
    Tier 3 = 2.4 weeks
    Tier 4 = 2.4 weeks

Relative to each other that is reasonable.

Let's change up the cost of a base item.

Make it 40 coins and this is the amount you can buy clearing the tier once:
    Tier 1 = 1
    Tier 2 = 2
    Tier 3 = 0
    Tier 4 = 0

Make it 20:
    Tier 1 = 2
    Tier 2 = 4
    Tier 3 = 1
    Tier 4 = 1

Make it 10:
    Tier 1 = 4
    Tier 2 = 8
    Tier 3 = 2
    Tier 4 = 3

Make it 48:

Tier 1 = 0
    Tier 2 = 1
    Tier 3 = 0
    Tier 4 = 0

Not only is this analogous to expecting the same paycheck (payed hourly) at the end of the week regardless if you work 40 hours or 25 hours but if your method were implemented then you introduce another larger problem entirely. Can you spot it from the above examples?

This entire thread is moot because the pricing makes sense as it is.
    I fully expect the opinion of the devs to be, "Not changing. Period."
    It's nonsensical to deliberately change something from working correctly to something blatantly flawed.
  19. Hatsee Augur

I'd like to see currencies degrade in some way, just so that if say a year or two later you want something it's now in the pile of nearly worthless junk and all your currencies have degraded to give you a vast amount of worthless junk currency to buy it.
  20. CaRnon Augur

Only prices I would like to see lowered are the 840currency items from T2 that you have to do specific /ach's to even see them on the vendor.... Heck drop them down to the 500 cost of Vulak loot and I would be happy.