Mobs dying to DoTs on wipe

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Frogmancer, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Frogmancer Augur

Tonight in "Death Peace", one of the xulous mobs we had to kill died to the DoTs I'd loaded onto it, after the entire group died, and we did not get credit for the kill. Now, I know that not crediting the DoT caster for the mob's death in that situation is a long-standing issue, but my question is, "Why?"

Clearly, mob deaths can be credited to dead players - I get achievements for raid wins while I'm dead all the time. But even if that's based on the lockout and not the death (which I suspect is true), seems like there are several ways to fix this issue without opening up some back-end can of worms. I'll propose a few possible solutions:

1 (Easiest Solution) - Simply have more mobs than needed spawn initially. The big issue tonight was, after the xulous died that we didn't get credit for, we only had five of the six mobs we needed available to kill. If the instance had instead spawned ten xulous mobs for six needed kills, we would have had no problem. I would rather have to kill extra mobs in every instance than take the chance of failing an instance because of a stupid mob death credit bug.

2 (Slightly Less Easy Solution) - Make mobs respawn in instances. It's nice that instances empty out and stay empty, but it can lead to the problem described here. A simple enough fix would be to let the instances respawn (perhaps a bit more slowly than the static zone) - they're already sparsely populated. I would rather be forced to stay ahead of respawns in a dungeon crawl than risk every failing an instance because of a stupid mob death credit bug.

3 (Moderately Time Consuming Solution) - Give one of the NPCs in each instance the ability to reset any incomplete steps to zero, including respawning all relevant mobs. So, the group takes an errant death and one of the mobs bites it to DoTs - the group leader simply runs over to the NPC, goes through a dialogue, and resets the quest to the beginning of the step that would be impossible to finish.

4 (Time Consuming Solution) - Fix the bug, so that NPC deaths to DoTs always credit the DoT caster appropriately, dead or alive. But in the meantime, while you're fixing the bug, please put in one of the other solutions I suggested (or something else) so that I can stop losing hours of quest time and earning no quest reward for it.
  2. fransisco Augur

Its always been that way. And any change would just open things up to too many exploits.
    If your not there when it dies, no credit.
  3. Frogmancer Augur

Well, "It's always been that way" is a terrible reason to not fix something. But I get it - the fix to the actual issue is difficult and will probably introduce some issues related to mob spawning and quest mechanics that couldn't have been predicted and require more developer time.

But not all of the fixes I suggested involve changing that specific mechanic. I'm not sure how "instance has static spawns for more mobs than are needed to update the quest" or "mobs in instance respawn after a fixed amount of time" are exploitable, any more than the same things occurring in a static zone are exploitable.
  4. Caudyr Augur

Mobs respawning would be ergh, imo. However, having more mobs in the zone than is required for any given step to be completed isn't a bad idea. Honestly, I'm not sure why they didn't do this to begin with...considering the problems with dots + not updating tasks that's been in for...well...ever? >_<
    Frogmancer likes this.
  5. fransisco Augur

That was my point. It would make things even more possibly buggy, and really open missions/kills up to possible exploits.
  6. Abazzagorath Augur

Its the way it is because NPC damage is assigned to no one, and training mobs onto guard NPCs then getting a killing hit in is an exploitable thing that was killed at the beginning of the game.

When you die you are no longer an active PC in the zone and your damage is now not assigned to anyone. That's just the way it is. You're basically saying, "we messed up, which caused a failure in the mission". So I don't see the problem. Start over and do it again. How many times has someone started a task/mission and forgot to hail someone and had to start over? It happens. Its part of the game.
  7. Smak Augur

This could be fixed by having any mob that dies to unassigned damage, be it damage shield or to players who are dead / dots, have them instantly respawn as if they had tethered.
  8. fransisco Augur

Again exploits.
    You dont have to do damage to get agro. Can farm a big and rare faction mob and kill it over and over again, getting faction.
    Its part of the risk of dying. If you do, too bad.
  9. Smak Augur

If a mob poofs from no assigned damage, it could also be set up so that no faction hits are created, if there are any now.
  10. Dandin Augur

Simple solution. Don't die.

Feign Death.
  11. fransisco Augur

Indeed.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Best solution I have seen, just make sure it doesn't work on the PH for named or it will get exploited.

Mission NPCs only.
  13. Izcurly Augur

You've never gotten a raid win when EVERYONE died either, so while your comparison between group/raid is valid, you aren't comparing the same situation at all...someone in that raid lived to get the win for the rest.
  14. Smak Augur

I have been on trakanon raids where it was close, almost everyone died to the dot after killing trakanon. Not quite the same as this.

This problem may be unlikely, yet if everyone died and there were large dots on the target, it might have died with no one there to get credit for the kill and the corpse may poof.

I think its unlikely because normally when something is not aggroed it can regenerate to full instantly or within a very short time.