Symphatetic Calming stacking question.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Aelenar, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Aelenar Journeyman

2. greydeeds Augur

both will have chance to proc
  3. Xikteny Augur

Those are two different classes of procs; Quellious' Calm VII is a combat proc: you have to be (melee) attacking to trigger it; Sympathetic Calming Strike VII is triggered by casting detrimental spells. They will not interfere with each other (that said, even if they were both sympathetics, they still would not interfere with each other).

That said, I don't think that there is an aug that procs Sympathetic Calming Strike VII. The highest level such aug that I know of off the top of my head is Globe of the Ocean.

The amount of agro reduction provided by such augs is hilariously small compared to the amount of agro a Wizard produces; I would not advise a Wizard to count on them, or indeed use them. The effect of all symp procs is pretty small, but at least DD symps do damage.
  4. Aelenar Journeyman

Thanks a lot for the response greydeeds and Xikteny, I will not invest in such an aug and seek how to reduce hate in another way.
  5. Xikteny Augur

Have you maxed the AA line 'Spell Casting Subtlety?'

Beyond that we have 'Silent Casting' (which you should always be using while burning), 'A Hole In Space (fade), 'Mind Crash,' and 'Concussive Intuition.' Unfortunately the cooldown on MC is long, and CI doesn't do all that much although I do use it at times. AHiS however has a pretty usably-short cooldown.

One strategy I often employ is to lead with a spell from the *freeze line (if you are 95 you would have Thoughtfreeze), which are like concussions-over-time. To be honest the actual concussive effect of these spells is not that great, but it is something, and I believe that window of time spent leading with such a low-damage spell can give your tank some time to build initial agro.

If you find you still have agro problems after all of that, it might be time to start yelling at your tank. :mad:

ETA: The hate override on 'Arcane Fusion' is also pretty nice, when it procs.
  6. Aelenar Journeyman

Have all those AA's maxed, except the 'A Hole In Space', I didn't know about that one.

I use my wizard to kill trash fast, but with only casting my ethereals I get agro pretty quick.

So I think I am going with lower dmg spells and open with 'Thoughtfreeze', to keep DPS consistent without pulling agro I guess.

My tank is a mage earth pet, so unfortunately I can't yell at him :S
  7. Xikteny Augur

I cast a lot of ethers without agro problems, unfortunately I can't really advise you on the mage pet.
  8. Naugrin Augur

Air pet produces more agro and holds up well to most stuff.....make sure mage pet has agro wpns.
  9. Aelenar Journeyman

Great! I will try to cast ethers with an air pet and see how that works out =)
    Thx for the tip Naugrin.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

If you are only casting Ethereal spells, you are doing it wrong.
    Nissko likes this.
  11. Falos Augur

Earth pet actually produces comparable agro now as of RoF, it's actually been the better 'tank pet' since alaris but RoF is when it really started to shine as a tank pet due to the change to what it casts every 12 seconds: [36599] Earth Elemental Strength IX
    Target: Self
    Beneficial: Blockable
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 18s (3 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    4: Absorb Melee Damage: 20%, Total: 10298
    Text: You gain the strength of the earth.

which is the recourse of the root / DD the pet casts.

I also virtually never use agro swords on a pet it's very hard to steal agro from the pet, i suppose a wizard could if they tried but a slight adjustment to play style would compensate for that i'd think. The DD swords are better in virtually every situation though overall pet weapons don't make a huge huge difference. There is a way to DRASTICALLY increase your pets ability to hold agro though. If you have a pet tanking the target and then put a 2nd pet on the target their agro basically temporarily merges (while they are both in range) and it makes it even harder to pull agro off the primary pet that is tanking. I can periodically pull agro off my earth pet as a mage if i TRY and only one pet is on the mob, but if 2 pets are on the mob it's almost impossible.
  12. Aelenar Journeyman

Lucky for me I have a beastlord in my box group and I set both pets to taunt and that seems to be working very well, thanks Falos.

Beimeth, you have any tips for this newb wizard to do? Would be very much appreciated.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I actually missed where you said you were only level 95. At level 95 you do want to be using ethereal fire/ice.
  14. Aelenar Journeyman

Ah okay thanks mate =)

I am aware the sequence gets a bit more interesting at level 100, but that will take me a month or two to get there /slowpoke.