Bard Mana

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Bryan, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Bryan Augur

My bard is 76 now, and maxed in mental clarity and expansive mind AA. I think it's expansive mind - whatever it's called it's the one that makes it so you can improve mana regen +1 per rank through items.

I purchased some items with better mana regen thinking I wasn't at the cap yet but I guess I am capped at 39 regen through normal regen, mental clarity aa, and items.

Between my current aria taking 100 mana every 4th note, cresendo every 17th note, and the occasional fading memories, I find my mana regen quite lacking.

Are there focus effects or something else I'm not aware of that could help alleviate this?
  2. Daegun Augur

Nope bard mana regen has always been limited. The primary mana hog used to be fading memories back when mana pools were a lot smaller. You used to have to be more stingy with when you used it. With ooc regen and larger pools, bard mana isn't that big a problem on the whole. With a mana heavy twist and frequent fades you will lose over time, but its generally slow and easy to ooc back up.

My level 100 bard can go over an hour with a standard group twist and the occasional fading memories before stopping to regen up.
  3. Lenowill Augur

Pretty much what Daegun said. Stop singing and med up by siting down with out of combat regen active, every so often, and you'll be good.
  4. yozhik New Member

i song on mount, but looks like it no very helpful)
  5. fransisco Augur

Mounts only give you the benefit of sitting - which allows you to meditate for extra mana regen. Something bards don't exactly do well.
  6. Bryan Augur

I have mages I'm boxing with the bard. I'll check out how viable mod rods work. Other than that I'll suck it up and take a break to regen OOC from time to time.

Thanks for the responses.
  7. fransisco Augur

Id also start saving your AAs for other things than the mana regen ones. The payoff is very small for the cost.
  8. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Mod rods won't do you any good.

Bards do not benefit from any form of mana regen. If you use the Kiss of Emar, you get no mana. If you use staunch recovery, you get a 500k heal, but no mana. If you use a mod rod, you take 21k damage, but no mana. Enchanter spires, cleric QM, necro feeding AA... nothing.

Someone go start a thread in druid section about being the only only only only class class only class only only class class class only only that doesn't only get something.

Then post it in updates, then post it in Vets lounge, then off-topic, then back in vets lounge (but change the name of the post), then put it in the tank section for good measure. Say only class a lot too. But, ONLY when talking about your class.
  9. Zaxamaphone Augur

This made me snicker... thank you. :)
    Mykaylla likes this.
  10. Mysl Augur

There is one way for a bard to get full mana back. ;) It can only be done about once a day, per cleric. After you die, ask the cleric for a divine rez (the 100% one), accept that 100% rez, and you get your full mana back.
  11. Zaxamaphone Augur

There are two ways... /sit
  12. Mysl Augur

sit take time, 100% rez is instant. :)
  13. Darchon_Xegony Augur

June 17, 1999 Patch Exerpt:

Thus begins the broken nature of bard mana. Actually... Before that during the core coding of the game I bet would be when it started.
  14. Falos Augur

I personally find the fact that mana regen and mana granting clickies do not work on bards, the side benefits of them not working situationally outweigh the negative effects of them.
  15. Momentum Elder

Once you get higher level you'll have so much mana that unless you die (in which case you're out of luck!) or burning hard with the Insult line, you will never run out of mana. Just hang in there. You'll find out how many Insults you can cast to 'match' your groups mana consumption too, if that's what you like.

I really really hate that mana cost on Aria. Seems to exist only to completely screw us if we die.
  16. Tarrin Augur

You ability to not understand a topic and take things out on context for a cheap laugh is cute.
  17. Aelenar Journeyman

Indeed.
  18. Tutmir Journeyman

Don't use crescendo unless your trying to get your healer a bit of mana to prevent a wipe or someone just got a combat rez and you want to help them out. Even at 100 twisting crescendo on cooldown while pulling using fade a lot will run you oom eventually. On raids in caster groups I have a melody that uses crescendo and over the course of a 5-10 minute fight fading anywhere between 5-15 times (without dieing) I'll be in the 85-90% mana range, and that's with raid gear and max mana regen aa's. Before the raid gear and only about half way through my mana regen aa's I would have to use crescendo situationally and even then be more conscious about my use of fade. Before that...yeah use the rest of your toolbox and use fade when and only when your mez/calm/knockback tricks fail you and you should be able to manage that mana quite well.
  19. Reviled Elder

This is why we have the Aura version.
  20. Sharpshooter Lorekeeper

I played a bard back around Planes of Power through to Omens of War...

That said bards have always had crappy mana regen. The first thing a bard should be looking out for is to max out their mana regen for items (starts at I believe 15 and goes up with AAs). After that the next best thing to do is buy 'Mental Clarity' as it adds +1 per tick. Back then mana regen items and those AAs were the only thing that helped a bard get mana back. With OOC mana regen affecting bards it's not nearly as important these days to have a high mana regen (in fact your group gear probably almost maxes it out)

Back in the day there was a big chart for how useful mana regen items and AAs were to a bard expressed as how fast it allowed you to use fade (900 Mana).

Base Mana Regen (I'll assume 1 per tick) = 15 Minutes between uses.
    +1 Mana Regen = 7.5 Minutes
    +2 Mana Regen = 5 Minutes
    +3 Mana Regen = 3.75 Minutes
    +5 Mana Regen = 2.5 Minutes
    +15 Mana Regen = 56 Seconds

The first few points are the most important for a bard... after that it just helps you recover after a death. The higher the mana regen capabilities of a bard the easier it was for pulling. These days even on my lowbie bards I use fade as a mana costing insta-invis.