Test Update 12/06/2013

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by KevinMcP, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Trashed New Member

You can kiss my $15 a month goodbye.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Gnomeland Augur

Mage PBAE is a joke; wizards are the ones with great PBAE.

Mage PBAE consists of one spell on a 12 second recast timer that does 10k damage:

http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=36007&source=Live

Beams are used for AoE damage on raids.

There is no source of decent AoE damage in a Mage's arsenal other than Beam.

It's pretty obvious why they didn't nerf Beam.

They want variety in the way AoE damage is delivered between different classes.
    Kaenneth and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  3. Denial_Sinfae Augur

Beam does 10k damage............ Yet mages defend it like it's the Holy Grail. Wonder why?

Also, you don't have to do a conal projection of damage in front of you to AE. Mages can do with Point Blank AEing just like all the other AE casters.

If anything, sure, make an adjustment to the PBAE's they have to bring it more in line with the class vision.

There's zero justification for keeping a frontal cone as broken as Beams currently are. I also find it funny that the range on it is higher than PBAE's.
  4. Gnomeland Augur

Did you on purpose underline the wrong phrase in that sentence?

Because 12 second recast is what I was getting at.

Mage PBAE is 4 second to cast and 12 second to recast. It's a terrible spell that does crap AoE DPS. Beam, on the other hand, is 3 second to cast and 0 recast. It's the bread and butter of Mage AoE.
  5. Songsa Augur

People complained and they nerfed assassinate/headshot now this is the logical suite.
  6. Denial_Sinfae Augur

So, if you were given a 3 second cast 0 recast PBAE with 10k damage everything would be cool?

Great. Let's appeal to the devs sensibilities and get this summoning business straightened out, and just resolve mages spell discrepancies.
  7. Cicelee Augur

Been playing a mage for 13 years. Never did the whole beam kiting thing personally, but was affected by it one time in Plane of Shadow when friend and I were getting serious lag every so often making the zone and our ability to do quests unplayable. Ran over and saw a magician doing that.

I do find it humorous that in game I know of some hardcore anti-magician beam players who have *actually* used mage beam kiting to level up their alts or friends. Always chuckle to myself on that...

I realize the 97% summoning change hurts kiting classes. However, not every mob in each of those zones can summon. While I am not familiar with the mob composition and density and variety of all areas of all zones, could not a kiting class just not kite those couple of mob models that summon? I would think they have to do that in other lower level zones in the old days levelling up.

Still do jot understand why EQ devs just don't allow for Beam of xxx to be casted in Evantil group zone, Plane of Shadows, etc. I have always said they can disallow casting of Call of Hero in some zones, so they have the capabilities and knowledge of how to do it.

The orginal intent of magician beam was to mass slaughter grey cons. I am glad that ability has not been changed. And while some players have stated in this thread that they can slaughter grey cons one at a time...well cool. Magicians do it with beam all at once. It is a class thing. Each class can do cool things; mass slaughtering grey cons is something we can do.

TL;DR I hope this change stops mage beam kiting. I hope kiting classes are able to adapt and still be able to kite in the changed zones. I am glad beam can still be used to mass slaughter grey cons.
  8. Grummas New Member

A somewhat simple solution to avoid screwing over everyone who kites in said zones. Would be to make any pulls larger then X amount of mobs pop back to their spawn. But guess that would require some actual work.
  9. Tinytinker Augur

The summoning mechanics you added will screw over the kiters and just drive the people causing the laggy beamfests into other zones.
  10. Tarrin Augur

Either come out and make every single mob in every zone summon, and tell people to forget about kiting ever..
    Or revert this.
    What is the point of making most mobs in most zones now summon?
  11. Explicit Augur

12. Ardin Elder

NO.
    It is already done in HoH, go there, and check how it works.
  13. Garshok Augur

Any fix to The Doomscale Horde group mission?
  14. Xikteny Augur

What's wrong with it?
  15. Kongfoo Elder

I can see some nice updates in this patch. Preincarnation is nerfed so shammies can no longer solo raid mobs. Mobs in beaming zones now summon. Nice job SOE for working on balancing the game.
  16. Tarrin Augur

Yes, it is awesome that as a druid I have almost no where to solo now. That is amazing balance.
  17. silku Augur

Kinda makes most forms of soloing for xp a thing of the past. (Mages won't be hurt at all, they'll just have to play with a merc/pet), yet the rest of us who weren't the ones causing the problem, we will have to find groups or face summoning mobs in even light blue zones.
  18. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

I've kited almost all of my career and plan to continue doing so. These changes will have little impact for most kiters in the end. Most mobs you could kite before you still will be able to. Avoid the few you can't-- they are even telling you up front and making them distinguishable from one another.

There have almost always been restrictions on what you could kite, and each expansion you had to learn what and where you could do so safely. Specific mobs always summoned, random mobs could summon, and snare immune was used as well. The last few expansions have certainly seen fewer of these restrictions, but that has in no way been the norm throughout EQ.
  19. Tarrin Augur

These changes will have massive impact.

Now you have to watch much more closely what mobs you pull if you remain in those listed zones. From my past I kited in Evantil and CoB a lot.

I quint kite, which means I often pull 10 at a time for kiting efficiency. This makes CoB and Evantil nearly impossible to kite in.

I will now have to avoid those zones completely. I will go to a zone not effected by these new silly restrictions. Guess what? The people who were disrupting the zones due to whatever reason will do the same. Now they will merely be disrupting OTHER zones. And since there will be fewer options for them to disrupt, I am much more likely to run into them when I am doing my non-zone-disrupting kiting.

Saying this will have little to no impact on kiters is not fully understanding the situation and its full implications.

I would love some justification as to why these zones suddenly needed the non-summoning tag so late after being released. These mobs haven't been summoning for years ( depending on which zone specifically we are talking about, a year+ for the shortest span ). Why does this change need to go in now? Why does it need to go in at all?
    Gyurika Godofwar, silku and Eviara like this.
  20. Teenywolf New Member

If they add summoning to mobs that complicate headshotting by Rangers, SOE can kiss my 10 grand a year I personally spend on Everquest. I play a Ranger 24/7 and that is the only reason I play this game. You complicate things by making it harder for me to find mobs to headshot, make it take longer or, or screw with the Ranger mechanics in any way to nerf it and make it harder - I am gone - all 7 accounts.

I do not play this game for you to make things harder, in fact, what needs to be removed from the game entirely without any discussion at all is:

Mob summoning,
    Mob warping,
    Mobs breaking player's root.

You are going to lose players over this, guaranteed. Your source income is going to go down. I suggest you hire people to poll players in game or call them by phone and get a better view on just how much money you are going to lose from this ill conceived decision.

We, the players, are playing this game to have fun, not for you- the developers, to make it a damn chore for us to slug through and make it unfun.

I am not against you creating a server that is hardcore so that you can transfer all the players that demand hardcore play onto it and leave the live servers alone.