No more chaser items please, and here's why

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Uxtalzon, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I have to agree with the sentiment that chase items that are as good these two were should have been at the very least No Drop (and preferably Lore as well). Making them tradable, if only Attuneable, so that people who didn't want to do the actual content and take the time could buy them is just silly. If they are meant to be chase items then the players should actually have had to participated in the chase to get them. Not just been willing to pay 2-6 million plat for them. Now I could see making them Heirloom but beyond that; they don't need to be tradable.
    artofnoise likes this.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

chase items should be No drop and lore.
    Leerah and artofnoise like this.
  3. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

Then we get a whole second set of complaints wherein people who weren't able to attain them in the limited-time content don't feel able to compete with their peers. I'd agree with lore but that isn't really a hurdle at all since you can so easily offload them to alts.
  4. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Sorry, but there have been limited time items for 9+ years now. People haven't whined, they have waited till the next year when the items return and got them then. There is absolutely NO reason for these items to be tradable, especially when all of the named loot is no drop. Making the items Lore and No Trade would have made the items infinitely easier to get. The present way encouraged people to keep all the drops instead of leaving and letting others in.
    KC13, artofnoise and Sinestra like this.
  5. iniari-TR Augur

I disagree. if the cloak was no trade / lore , people would have just farmed their cloak then never do the zone again. people were not in sol B for the xp. for the most part. having them tradable allowed folks to farm them for others and alts.

if they were no trade , only folks mains and boxed toons would have a cloak.
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

i be happy if they left the zone after getting their cloaks, letting others in to get their cloak.
    these peeps camped the zone the whole time there there were others who wanted to camp their cloak and will try again next year 10 years from not if they a wholes lvl 200 are still camping and not letting others get the cloak its becasue is not NO DROP.
  7. Camou the Persistent Augur

A complete nonsense.

a.) in a zone, in which 6 players can hold the whole zone camped, there is no place for more players.
    b.) the way you see it the only difference is: now that it is not NO DROP, those which would only have farmed their cloak and then gone, now those have 10 cloaks and others none, and have to buy it from those 6 pplayers with their farm bots.

Nobody ever went to HH zones for exp. All nameds were up most of the time, but were uninteresting for everyone. Only reason was the cloak and the ring to be there, aside from 2 augs in MMC.
  8. Sinestra Augur

There were complaints constantly, especially on the boards, with how you couldn't even find a mob to kill. I don't think this would have been an issue at all. People went to Sol B for the items and a bit of something new to do, and when they got done, they should move on.

Having to put up with people farming the rare items for cash is a terrible idea. It's stupid that they though that this was a good idea. If you're going to put in items that are going to be so good you need to make them no drop or you need to make them available all the time, not just at special times of the year.
    KC13 and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  9. iniari-TR Augur

on our server there was never a time I couldn't find a camp , even one of the prime spots like spiders or kobalds except on a few occasions.

soe wont put such an item ingame that's available all the time or a common drop. they don't want to make it so common it obsoletes normal drops and causes a general mudflation.

I doubt the dev who made those items thought the community would go nuts over them.
  10. Sinestra Augur

If the dev who put the item in didn't know they community would go nuts over it, he wasn't paying attention and knows nothing about the game, the gear, or the players.

They don't have to put it in full time, but if they are going to make these seasonal items, they either need to make them common or they need to make them no drop.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Well you were very lucky. On most other servers that I spoke with during the time there were a number of people who could not find a group or place they could hold. On Tunare, the SolB & MMC were overflowing the entire original time; it was only during the extended time that it backed off a little bit. The only reason I could ever find any open camps even during the extended time that I could hold was that I tend to play in the middle of the night.

As rare as the cloak was they could have made it a year round drop in an instanced version of the zone and even after a year not everyone would have gotten the drop.

Chase items like this should always be no drop, period. If you want the item you either A) Go camp the item yourself, or B) Hope you can out run other people to the one rotting. If you are too lazy to do anything in the zones then you don't deserve to have the special limited time items. Just because you can farm or have 2-6 million (or more) plat lying around in the bank doesn't mean that you should get the item ahead of people who were actually in the zone and trying to farm it. I have no problem with people who farmed them for all their alts; they would have done the same regardless of the items being no drop & lore; it just would have been more of a hassle if they were all on the same account(s).

The Cloak should have been Lore; the ring probably should have been lore as well but that would have upset the people who wanted (or got) one for each finger.

I am 100% sure that the Dev who made them knew that the community would go nuts over them. You have 2 tradable items neither of which is lore, that have stats equal to or better than the current raid gear of the time as well as the single best OH clicky in the game (17%; all previous raid OH clickies were 16% and highest group was 10% from the evolving item in RoF or 8% for the most part). Who is going to be daft enough not to realize that the community is going to go crazy over these items?
    KC13, Sinestra and Leerah like this.
  12. iniari-TR Augur

Who is going to be daft enough not to realize that the community is going to go crazy over these items?

the same folks that thought making the old man McKenzie gear better then the then upcoming expansion gear, was a good idea. :rolleyes:
  13. Makavien Augur

There was nothing at all wrong with the way these were put out .

Raiders had no other reason to be in sol B besides the cloak and collection items.

There were camps open every single time I went to either zone .

And I play on the biggest farm plat server there is. I got the cloak the first day.

I got 5 rings that I gave away to guildies. I farmed multiple chestplates and gave them away .

If people are greedy where you play that is not a solvable issue just by making items not exist the way they did.

With the way content is now .The best items are the rare and the items that are chase worthy.

On normal servers what is even the point in farming lots of plat other then kronos which are fairly cheap there ?
    You can make millions of plat just farming tier 1 zones on those servers right at the release. And with certain trade skilled items.

The complaints about an awesome item just because its not no drop where hardly anything is not no drop are pretty lame.

At least you can buy it.

And next year if it is released again you can farm 10 more and sell them if the 17% overhaste is even still the best by then.

Oh yeah and since when did we become If I can't get something lets ruin it for the rest of the dedicated people that put in tons and tons of hours to achieve something ?
  14. Leerah Augur

Ever since they decided to give our leadership AAs, which cost us 20% of our regular xp forever, to everybody.
  15. Bluejaye Elder

/scratches head ... what does that have to do with it?
    Sinestra likes this.
  16. Edrick Augur

Not this again.
    Sinestra likes this.
  17. Leerah Augur

Reference Makavien's question. When did they decide to ruin things for people who put in hours and hours of work.

Maybe it doesn't bother you, Edrick, but if you don't stand to lose thousands of hours of xp, it doesn't concern you either.
  18. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

I'm curious what makes you say this, because that is exactly how currency is supposed to work. You put in time, earn that currency, and exchange it for other people's time doing other things.

This argument seems similar to the one where people state that people who actually want epic 1.0 pieces "deserve" them more than people who are camping them to sell to others.

"My way of getting X is legitimate and yours isn't" just seems like pointless playstyle policing. You don't believe everyone should have to craft their own tradeskill stuff, do you?
  19. Caudyr Augur

If the currency was at least heirloom...heh.
  20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

• This whole thread has nothing to do with how currency is or is not supposed to work. It has everything to do with whether it is good or not for items that are as good as or better than current raid gear to be tradable. What makes me say that people should not be able to buy items that are this good and only available for a limited time is because I think that people should not be able to buy things that are this good and only available for a limited time; especially when it results in the people who want it and are willing to farm for it not having that opportunity because people who just want to sell it are farming it the whole time.
    • Epic pieces are in no way a limited time item; they can and are available pretty much year round (excluding times when a zone might be in revamp mode). I don't know of anyone who farms the epic 1.0 mobs to sell the 1.0 drops. They farm the mobs for other items; the epic pieces are just also drop. The people doing the epic 1.0s are usually the ones offering or give money for the pieces. I am very willing to bet that most of those who have the drops rotting in their bank would practically give them away, but people rarely ask and instead just keep checking for the mob(s).
    • Again, TS items are (generally) speaking not an item that is only available for a limited amount of time. But since you brought it up there are TS items from the past which were no drop and required a person to make it for oneself. Items which are creatable by TSs and create raid quality items cannot be traded; and I fully agree with that. So yes, when a TS item is introduced and is equal or equivalent to current end game raid gear, then it should be No Drop and require that the person who is going to use the item make it. When new TS items are non-end game group quality gear, then no they do not need to be No Drop.