EQ Players. Last Nail On That Coffin?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Siwin Nonesuch, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

You know we never have ever gotten a defintive answer if EQ Players was ever going to come back.
    No DEV has ever come on these boards (At least that I know of) and said ....
    "Yes, we have full intentions to reimplement EQ players at some point" or a
    "We would like to at some point but its not high on our to do list" or a
    "No, we neither have the desire nor people power to ever reimplement EQ Players, Its gone for ever"

But I was reading the test update and if I had to guess, I'd say after what JChan put, I'd say its never coming back. This was part of a future update.
    - Removed the "Update EQPlayers" and the "My EQPlayer Page" buttons from the EQ -> Character button.

It would be nice though and have closure on EQ Players. If a DEV would come on these boards and give an absolute answer on the matter.

For the record I do not like Magelo. I'm certainly not going to pay for it when it was partially free with owning and playing EQ. Though it was not perfect, it at least got you in the ballpark on your stats and others. Mostly what I liked about it is when I was starting up a new toon or server transfering, I could go thru and see if a name was taken allready.
  2. Abazzagorath Augur

What is there not to like about magelo? The fact that you can make your profile for free and have been able to do so for over a decade? That its accurate, unlike EQ players? That it is promptly updated after patches, unlike EQ players?
  3. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Magelo doesn't work for me for one. Possibly because I had Magelo for my characters early on and those pages are now defunct and I can't create new ones for them
  4. Geroblue Augur

You can get your password back, worked for me. The fee is so small, I went ahead and paid. All 3 of my paid EQ accounts are in my magelo. I paid for the additional accounts, and put my silver and ftp accounts in there to.
  5. Abazzagorath Augur

No. Magelo would work for you just fine. User error isn't the program not working for you =P
    Elricvonclief and Fenthen like this.
  6. Geroblue Augur

Up to you, just making a suggestion. Magelo could improve their support for another game I sometimes play.

And of course I make errors, I'm only human. =P
  7. Quatr Augur

The removal of the EQ Players buttons may not necessarily indicate that SOE has abandoned all plans to create a new version of the site: a different approach to sync'ing the live servers and whatever may eventually replace EQ Players may not require manual synchronization. Having said that, I am not holding my breath given the recent layoffs.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I'm surprised Sony just doesn't deal with Magelo. No need for anyone to recreate the wheel. I'm sure they could in quick order create a mutually beneficial deal.
    Elricvonclief and Sinestra like this.
  9. Dramatime Augur

I only just had to start dealing with Magelo after being back for 6 months for raiding application purposes and do not like it SAM I AM~!

I hate having to use a third party site to make a profile for my IN GAME CHARACTER. I'm pretty sure that if magelo is doing this service still that it's making a semi decent amount of money and would think it wise of SOE to just start eq players back up. It would be much easier for them to compile and tweak EQ players in a way that they can start getting page hits and start making money off it. Which is basically what Magelo is doing.

If I put my tin-foil hat on for a second I would gather that maybe Magelo is paying some sort of royalty and making it less ideal for SOE to spend time fixing EQ players.

I hate to again mention WoW however they seem to keep taking things from EQ all the time and just making them a little bit better. WoW has a player look up option but you can also see all the buffs that they had on them at the time of log out. So if you needed to Raid app you'd just click your buffs off and bam no confusion and if you didn't click them off then it would not be a mystery. Hell on top of that they have an app for your smart phone where you can look your character up and buy/sell things from your phone.

People keep mentioning that "You don't have to pay money". Which is true you do not. And now you can even sync your aa's for free as well... /slow clap. You know whats awesome? Not having to go in each time your character gets a new piece of gear having to go into that damn thing and move gear around again.

I think EQ is missing an opportunity to bring in more revenue by allowing magelo to monopolize this feature. It would defeat the purpose if EQ started to compete with say ZAM or EQ Resources because those sites provide an in game work around where Character viewing seems to be a core feature (or at least should be). Battleaxe I think has stated before that part of his "IN game game" is basically comparing himself to other players and seeing where you stand. It would be a lot better if EQ made that easier and integrated it even more.

I love EQ and also realize that the more money it makes the better our game gets and the longer it can be around. I hate how EQ seems to be missing the ball on getting tapping back into this resource AND/OR saving all these players who are paying for magelo $25 dollars a year.
    noclue likes this.
  10. Edrick Augur

I think integrating Everquest and Magelo would be a nice idea. It is quite obvious at this point eqplayers isn't even being considered anymore. Eqplayers has been taken to the back, but no one has pulled the trigger yet.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Recnarp Augur

Maybe they could charge people $20, divide EQplayers into installments, and stagger the release out over a year........
    oogolx likes this.
  12. Riou EQResource

They still have EQ Players in their plans, the problem is the main team doing it can only work on 1 game at a time and they are working on every SOE game, they are currently still on Planetside 2 while trying to update EQ2 for its new releases.

After that it is most likely EQ Next's turn since that's the next game coming out. And even after that probably DCUO gets it before EQ1.

They said they were gonna post a road map though a few months ago to show which games were going to be worked on roughly when, but they never did :p
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I see what you did there...

I am pretty certain EQPlayers is On the list
    With staffing and other concerns pressing for the team's time, I am confident saying it may never come to fruition. But we can hold out hope.....

Things like these are perfect projects for Open Source -style projects. I know there are legal concerns, but SOE managed to get Player Studio up and running...
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  14. BoomWalker Augur

CENSUS will replay EQ Players since it will be a common core data feed for all SOE games. That is planned to be completed in 2028 or maybe 2032.
    Iila likes this.
  15. Edrick Augur

Great! I'll still be playing EQ by then. I can't wait. It's going to be a great day when it is more convenient to express my hit points in scientific notation.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I can not tell you when or if EQ Players will return. I can tell you that the removal of the Update EQPlayers button has nothing to do with it.

A year ago at SOE Live we were told that EQPlayers will return someday using CENSUS, which is SOE's name for accessing the game data files outside of the game.

Should it ever be done for EverQuest (they said it would be, but no date given, and I have no way of knowing if there has been any change since then), there would be no need whatsoever for the "Update EQPlayers button" since there would be nothing to update, the data that EQPlayers would be accessing would be real time and not need the player to update it.

As for the My EQPlayer Page button, once / if CENSUS is up and running, a button can be placed into the game as SOE sees fit.

So feel free to speculate all you want about whether EQPlayers will return. But the removal of two buttons, one of which would be obsolete, and the other would likely be something different, means nothing.

Oh, and:

As I mentioned, we did get a definitive answer at the 2012 SOE Live. We were told it was coming back. As CENSUS. Whether or not that has changed since then, I have no idea. Things change, people get fired, etc. So we don't know. But we were told at that time.

You can read my report on it here: http://fanraeq.blogspot.com/2012/11/soe-live-2012-after-action-report.html
  17. Toquillaw Augur

Yes, I agree. It is just notice that the old code won't be maintained from now on (probably because changes in the database have already made it so obsolete that it isn't worth working on). It's either the new system or no system at all. But it says nothing about how the new system is coming along.
  18. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

We were also told a year ago that this year Druids would get some sort of self ability of Burst return on there mana, but instead we got nothing. And I literally mean nothing. Let alone a Burst mana return. Not a thing to increase our desirability or power. Not with Spells or AA's. I mean we got a few bumps on exsisiting AA's but thats it.

And not only that, what happened was a bunch of classes got there Burst mana returns nerfed in one way or another.
    Thats right all you classes that got your burst mana returns nerfed in some way. It was anyone that plays the druid classes fault for pestering the DEV's so much it was the straw that broke the camels back that they really did turn the car around and go home. heh! :D

Thats why all I'm asking is from a Developer some sort of responce on the matter of EQ players at this present time.

As it stands, I'm personally going to consider the matter closed and its gone for ever. :(
  19. Toquillaw Augur

I don't see the point of asking for something over and over when you already have an answer. The answer is the old EQ players system has been removed, it's in the patch notes. The new system is planned, but they only recently started looking for programmers to take on the project, although that was also just a couple of months before the layoffs.

We might get intermittent updates, we might not. But it just hasn't been that long since they posted for programmers, so assume it is still at least a year away.
  20. Moklianne Augur

At least they have more resources now that EQMac is being shutdown...