Red Dragon Scales aug needs to be cursor loot

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelefane, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Kurayami Augur

If you mean, stats and drop rate designed by a halfling, as in Bristlebane to toy with everyone, I think you might be right.
  2. Insaneox Augur

We are at 3 drops in 8 runs!

But lots of happy twinks if that was object then mission success. Pretty fun raid and love memories of old days. But very sad with loot and augment drop rate horrible. That being said guess our luck little better then some. 2 more runs and I've pretty much given up hope of getting one. Just not worth all my dkp, grats to the few that manage this augment.
  3. BoomWalker Augur

I replied to a post saying spell damage would be a good thing...and agreed with that and you pick out my post as the one that needs to pay more attention? Why not the guy before my post that said he wanted spell damage?

And what post # says the aug is changing? Sure would like to read that post to be up to speed on this discussion...

Lead us oh might one....show us the post...
  4. BoomWalker Augur

To be clear you are saying if discussion of loot distribution is elaborated on the thread will be locked right?
  5. Atvar Augur

How the heck are you reading anything into this besides what was quoted? /boggle
  6. Axxius Augur

Piestro's post says pretty clearly discussion of what is not going to be permitted. It's quoted in his post. Re-read it.
  7. Elricvonclief Augur

I applaud the devs for a fun event. I think most enjoy it. Thank you for that.

My concern, and I think many agree, is the quality of the loot compared to the aug.

Something that good, the way it is currently implemented, just causes problems.

If it's THAT good, gear it towards casters or melee or tanks please. That way we don't see drama.

BTW, I"m serious about the event, it is a LOT of fun, I think all can agree with that, thank you.
    Axxius and Kelefane like this.
  8. Axxius Augur

There is the aug. And then there is the rest of the loot. If there was no aug, would anybody do this raid more than once? They wanted a chase item to keep the players interested, they created one.
  9. Kamea Augur

There will always be items that have the potential to cause guild drama. I just think the dragon scale, unique among the other items you named, and frankly any item in the past couple years, because a lot of the drama caused by it is attributable to game design. Yes, that's a subjective opinion and I know some may disagree.

Here's the way I see it. A major aspect PVE-focused MMOs is the carrot/stick nature of them, and managing the carrot/sticks of the game is a key part of game design. The carrot needs to be appealing and far away enough that it inspires people to put a lot effort into getting it, but not so appealing that it's overpowered or not so far away people feel like it's impossible to get. Temporary-only items throw a wrench this process since people know the carrot is only going to be dangled for so long, so properly managing the carrots is even more precarious.

I think devs did a fantastic job with the intentional chase items in ROF, and I think the way they were handled showed good game design. I just think the was the dragon scale was handled was a step backwards for chase items.

Speaking from what I observe in my guild, demand for this aug has been the most irrational (ie if you compare average price to objective power of the item) of any item I've seen in the 4.5 years I've been here. It just seems like the temporary nature of it makes some people go nuts, and yes, it's radically different than the TOFS augs since they dropped in much larger and more consistent numbers. (We're 4/5 on the aug btw.)
  10. serverhelper Journeyman

You can say that cause you're 4/5. My guild is 1/8 and hating every moment of it.
  11. Kurayami Augur

I think he is saying, they are 4/5, and it is still a much worse drop rate then ToFS ever was.

Anyways, my guild broke it's augless streak last night, we now have 1 whole aug after winning 7 raids of this. Maybe I'll see it in a year or two when it is off the official raid list and can just 1 or 2 group it, if new augs don't completely replace it by then, not holding my breath for them to do anything about this cluster four letter word at this point.
  12. Edrick Augur

Do Nagafen on alt/guest raids. I think we're 4/4 or 5/5 for an aug on alt raids (speaking as a guest,) and three splitting the raid with mains can sometimes net you no augs. So load up those alts!
  13. Iila Augur

I like how the dagger from this raid is on par with HoT weapons. Matches up well with the cloak being worse than the group gear version and all the toy priest weapons.

Bard drum and group heal clickie are worth getting. But only the bard item is anywhere close to the aug.

Getting another 5 daggers or dru/shm weapons to rot away every 3 days sure does own, though.
    Imrahil likes this.
  14. Imrahil Augur

I think it is sad that a nice idea like this has lead to so much grief and frustration because of a small detail which could have been avoided. OK, maybe cursor loot would have been counter-productive (people wouldn't have raided this more than 2-3 times then), but a GUARANTEED drop of 1-3 would have reduced the frustrstion immsensely.and made the experience so much better
    Elricvonclief and Insaneox like this.
  15. Caziku Lorekeeper

Agreed.
  16. serverhelper Journeyman

I've always thought that the aug drop raid from the chest was ok... (we got 1/8 so far) (new school loot from chest). My suggestion was to have 2 or 3 guaranteed augs on the corpse itself (old school loot from corpse).
  17. BoomWalker Augur

Awesome...read his post again...so it is discussion on how to distribute loot that will get the thread locked. Perfectly clear....

Excellent.
  18. Ranpha Augur

What I don't get about events like this, how do devs make the loot table? Do they really assign a much higher chance to the druid and shaman only stuff? I mean, if all items had the same chance of dropping, we'd never see such a huge surplus of these items, so it must be on purpose...
  19. Gragas Augur

RNG in EQ has always been pure joy.
  20. Nightops Augur

Final drop totals for our Naggy raids.

10 wins.. 45 drops

8 bags
    4 cloaks
    5 int caster slash weapons
    4 bard drums
    3 shields
    5 sham weapons
    7 letters
    2 druid weapons
    5 gloves
    2 augs

I guess we should feel lucky that we only say 2 druid weapons?