EQ Voice

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dexar, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dexar Elder

Hey Everyone.

Just posted the first episode of my new EverQuest podcast. It's 34min long so not going to link it here, but check it out if you're interested. Just search "EQ Voice" on YouTube.

Thanks,

Dex.
    Artemis-Entreri likes this.
  2. Artemis-Entreri Augur

I'm 23 minutes into your podcast. Great work, an I hope you keep putting them out. It's nice to see other peoples view / discussion on the game we all love, from a players perspective. Looking forward to more from you Dexar, an MacHammer.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I like the concept. You had a list of topics to cover, which was a good thing. I would have liked to hear some specific thoughts about your topics. It seemed, at times, that you were simply divulging data rather than opinions.

Also, I would like to hear more from Machammer. I realize that some of the topics were perhaps outside his scope, but he seems equally as interesting as Dexar, plus he co-hosts. His voice must be heard! =)

I was encouraged at the end to hear you plan to have guests on the show. I propose you have Brad McQuaid on the show. With his experience in the early stages of EQ and now his return to the EverQuest team, everyone would be interested to hear what he has to say.

Lastly, some topics I would like to hear discussed in future shows:

Zone Revamps-- Are they improvements or detrimental to EQ?
    Zone Textures-- Some of the new textures feel less immersive than the older, blockier textures. Or am I alone on this?
    Character Models-- Old school still better than Luclin?
    EverQuest Pronunciations-- e.g. Qeynos (kee-nos? kay-nus)?

Thanks Dexar and Machammer! Great job.
  4. Yther Augur

Kway-nos until I heard it in EQ2 voice :(

Some good topic ideas Bandwidth. Haven't looked at the pod cast yet. Pronunciation is probably the only really good reason for the voice, that and maybe character identification, but I got really tired, very quickly, of where's my writing utensil statement in Qeynos from merchants.

Yther Ore.
  5. Beneden Lorekeeper

Please post the link in this thread to your YouTube podcast. Searching EQ Voice on YouTube seems to be mostly about how to use an Equalizer and different tricks you can do with your voice while using an Equalizer. I'll look for the 34 minute long video, but you can make it easier for us to view it by posting the link ;).
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Here is the link to the video:

7. Dexar Elder

Thanks everyone for the kind words, constructive ideas and input! A few responses:

I didn't link the video for a couple reasons. First I wasn't sure if I would be violating a rule I wasn't aware of since the video is long. Also, I'm not sure if viewing it from here shows up as a recorded view on YouTube. Maybe one of you knows the answer to that. I wanted to be able to track interest to see if we were just talking to ourselves. :)

Anyway, I misspoke when I said to search "EQ Voice" I meant to say "EverQuest Call of the Forsaken", we are the first video on that search.

We would love to have Brad on the show and we will certainly ask him. In fact, right after posting episode 1, we tweeted it out to Brad. Mostly when we mentioned about guests we were talking about regular players like Mac and I. It's hard for us to talk about areas of the game that we haven't experienced. For instance, I know nothing about playing a Berserker. Of course, we'd never say no to an interview with Brad.

As to Mac not talking enough in the first one... Well, when you make a podcast you learn certain things about yourself. For instance, I talk way too much and overuse the word "basically". I think we may have discovered a new drinking game.

Anyway, Mac and I agree that in future shows we'll strive to be more balanced with talking time. This will become easier as he acclimates back to the game a bit more. We have a lot planned and will play around with the format until we're happy with it. Future shows will also contain some fraps game footage.

Thanks again for the input and please send more ideas for shows as we are finalizing an agenda for the next show tomorrow. We hope to post episode 2 by Monday the 9th.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed about the new merc upgrades.

A merc filling a hole so that a group can function without a key class is a wonderful thing. Players choosing mercs over other players is bad for the game.

I'm told that originally, to get a J5 merc, you pretty much needed a strong, raid-geared group. That makes sense, because the J5 mercs are amazingly powerful. The problem is that everyone with a Gold sub can get them now, and that's an error up there with horses. (Mounts should be primarily for getting from place to place and them being this huge meditation boon for casters is just silly.)

Thus, I expect that while players will be getting more powerful with, essentially, T5-T8 gear, mercs will stagnate without the new merc AAs and merc gear, and at best, will come back in line with where the J5 merc is today relative to players.