Ancient Cloak of Flames (raid item) off Death Beetle

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kelefane, Aug 23, 2013.

1. McDougal Augur

Why? Do you pay more for EQ? Do you 'work' harder? Throwin a dog a bone keeps them happy. Taking it away makes them mad.
  2. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I think that you're under some kind of crazy illusion that I am a raider.
  3. wingz-83 Augur

Now if only group tanks could get a decent shield.
  4. Whatever Journeyman

Ah, flawed explanations... I love those... let me try.

They first created the cloak for SolB as a zone wide rare, then for MM looked at what they set up for SolB and made a similar stat item.

THEN they made the SolB raid, and thought, well, these will be guaranteed drops so they should be a bit less rewarding as they are easier to get.
    Pirlo likes this.
  5. Mytoss Elder

ive been wondering why aint the gobby ( guano harveser ) and yellow spider not nameds? they used to be in normal solb
  6. Madforwdw Lorekeeper

Great idea, kudos Devs. I did wonder how long it would take the raiders to do what they do best...whine.
    Rainbowdash and Pirlo like this.
  7. Pirlo Augur

great idea.
  8. Gladare Augur

Not that I mind having the better drop being a zonewide rare, but how exactly is killing countless trash mobs harder than getting a drop from a raid with a 4.5 day lockout from a limited availability raid? Do you think every item on the drop table drops every time you beat the raid? That's just getting it to drop, you then have to beat out 53 other people rather than just your own bot and mercs.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Denhbers Elder

LOL @ Madforwdw.

Best example of "pot calling the kettle black" I've heard in a while.

I'd stick up for groupers more if I didn't see repeated posts like "raiders shouldn't be allowed to use raid gear in group content".

At least all the drama in Naggy's lair keeps me entertained.
  10. Stubar Augur

Awww, he's so cute! Over 100 posts and all I see is most of the "raiders" saying how good of an idea it is.

Isn't there a tread somewhere where you need to b**** about cultural weapon needing a boost? Or trying to find a silly ground spawn?
  11. Madforwdw Lorekeeper

Heh...one only has to look at the multitude of posts from raiders complaining at just about everything from this to RoF raids and just about everything in between. In fact there is one, who has a post in this very thread, that I liken to the old woman you meet at the bus stop who never stops complaining about her bunions. Raiders should have better gear and do what they like with it, but those who have a grandiose sense of entitlement and scream every time groupers get a bone are just tiresome. Come on people it's not as if it is a full suit of raid quality gear, get a grip or just have some cheese with the whine.
  12. Madforwdw Lorekeeper

Funny lol. Also funny how the devs decided the cultural weapons DID indeed need boosting and did so. Nice try but move along.

The grounspawn was very annoying but I was not complaining, I was asking if someone could check to see if the thing was actually there and live. I never once complained..oh noze, this game is against me why is it only me this happens to? I was hoping to get IBTT (In Before The Troll) but you beat me to it.
  13. Lejaun Augur

SOE throws people a bone, and yet they still find ways to complain. I think it's an awesome idea to have a nice chase item.

Sit back, do the content, and enjoy.
  14. Stubar Augur

I agree wholeheartedly. The cloak and ring are a good idea. I've already passed on roll for the ring in CMM on a few occasions because why? Because there was this thing in EQ a long time ago called need before greed. However people like to come in and paint a certain type of person with the same brush.

It seems that Madforwdw felt the need to do that so I simply responded to his petty attemp to call out raiders and how we cry a river across Norrath.

A blanket statement like that generally is posted to make one feel better about ones self.
  15. Madforwdw Lorekeeper

One doesn't need to do that to make ones self feel better...other peoples stupidity usually does the job quite nicely. Before this degrades into a flame war and gets locked, back on track. Thanks again devs. Have the ring, now it's time for the cloak!
  16. Laronk Augur

I don't really mind this item either way, I'm obviously going to go farm them but now for story time to explain why such items are not an amazing idea.

I used to main a bard on Torvonnillous (Fennin ro), during Omens of war I raided and got myself a fancy 2.0 and I also had another raid quality weapon I forget what. During omens of war I stopped raiding due to time constraints and lack of interest so I had this in early 2005:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=33054 (34 damage 22 delay)

Because I no longer raided I was unable to upgrade my weapon until Late 2007 when SOF was released and I didn't actually end up getting drops to upgrade it until about March or April 2008 because really I had to upgrade both weapons before I could bag my epic.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=72115 (35 damage 21 delay) is the first upgrade in MMM its hardly an upgrade but the crystallos weapons were good upgrades.

It's not going to be as bad that groupers wont be able to upgrade this cape (or the mm rings) for ~ 18 months but it did suck that I was unable to upgrade my bards weapons in DoN, DoDh, PoR, TSS, TBS. My bard wasn't alone in this either pretty much anyone with melee weapons who stopped raiding back then were stuck with the same gear for very long periods of time (I think this is a big part of why the gear gap between raiders and groupers has shrunk so much).

TL;DR While its fun to get big items sometimes with no work there is consequences, if they were handing out weapons at raid quality rather than a cape and a ring then this would be very very bad, but the two item slots they chose is kinda meh what ever.
  17. Stubar Augur

Wait wait wait...you throw the gauntlet down and then say stop? Alllrighty then! Enjoy the time in SolB and hope the RNG is nice to you.
  18. Madforwdw Lorekeeper

Stupidity point...proven. If you want to carry this on, let's go by all means. I just don't want to see a topic which, for the most part (yes, even some raiders too) is complimentary to the devs, locked.
  19. Stubar Augur

Tsk...tsk. I wish you luck and to have fun and you still flame me? Wow...just wow.
  20. Madforwdw Lorekeeper

...and good luck too if you're going for them. May the RNG be nice to us all.