FYI: chalandria's fang scenario active again in lon

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SpamFactory, May 11, 2013.

1. SpamFactory Augur

you can win another fang even if you won one in prior years.

for people who hate LON, don't know how to play, but want this item I recommend using the traveler's starter - the archeologist deck. I believe everyone got this for free at one point (not sure if newer accounts would have it).

win by questing rather than units. the AI will generally pile unit cards up on the right side of the screen. place one of your own units there every turn to die (so your avatar doesn't get beat on during the AI's turn) and just focus on finishing quests.

it's not too hard for a beginer to figure out.
  2. Recnarp Augur

I feel like I have downs trying to figure it out.
  3. Abazzagorath Augur

Play the tutorial and it will teach you how to play quickly.

After that, you need a "standard" deck. Basically, as a way to try and force people to buy cards they don't want and make your old ones worthless, when a new expansion comes out or every other one or something they make some older expansions cards obsolete and "non-standard". The only exception are "reissue" cards, which are the exact same card.

You can plan any scenario with any deck, but to get the loot card rewards you need to play with a standard deck.

So, easiest way to make a standard deck is to use the deck builder application and use the filters. You can't use different archetype cards in the same deck, but you can use neutral ones with the archetype (priest, scout, warrior, magician) ones. You can use both "light" and "dark" cards together, but unless its a great card, don't because there are negative consequences for playing a dark card if you are light aligned, etc.

1) So filter first for "standard" type so it only cards that count can be used.
    2) Pick an archetype you have a lot of cards for, and select that archetype and neutral
    3) Pick neutral and either light or dark alignment

Now the only cards listed are ones that will keep your deck valid as a "standard" deck.

Deck basics:

1) Need at least 50 cards per deck.
    2) Have to have 1 and no more than 1 avatar card (this is a pain, as most of the ones you have are going to be non-standard, and half the ones you can create are non-standard, you can create as many avatar cards as you want, I suggest a sarnak one, its standard and has a good ability)
    3) You need 4 quest cards, one 2 token, one 4 token, one 5 token, and one 6 token.
    4) You can have as many of the item, ability, tactic, or unit (creature) type cards as you like
    5) You can have no more than 4 of any one card type, I'm not sure if foil and regular count separately
    6) You want a "small" deck, so as close to 50 as you can get, it maximizes the chance of getting the good cards you want and you will basically never run out
    7) You have a limited hand size, if you have drawn too many you have to discard at the end of your turn, so you don't want too many expensive cards to play, as you'll end up not playing them fast enough, you also don't want too many cheap ones, as you'll end up wasting a lot of power

People make different "type" of decks because you can win in different ways. So you can have a "quest rush" deck which is focused on trying to win 4 quests asap. You can have an "avatar rush" deck which is set up to be able to kill the avatar asap. You can go more balanced. Quest rush is the easiest to beat most of the monthly and free scenarios, but sometimes you have to go balanced or avatar kill to beat a particular scenario. As you play one, you'll be able to tell if you need different type of cards to beat it.

For a "quest rush" deck I generally have 20 ability cards (played on the quests to win them), maybe 10-15 item cards, and the rest tactics. I have ZERO unit cards in my pure quest rush. The idea is to win the quests faster than they can beat your avatar. In a more balanced deck, I'll add enough cheap units (1-2 power ones) that I can play them one at a time just expecting them to die, but to protect my avatar's health since the enemy units at a quest can only attack you if you have no units at the same quest. I pick item cards that allow me to play extra tokens to quests, so scout works good for quest rush decks. You want anything that can be used to heal yourself (the cherry blossom tree card or whatever it is called from some old scenario is great). You want abilities that let you destroy damaged enemy units (why sarnak avatar is great). You want to choose quests that allow you to control the units on the board (doesn't allow units to be played, kills all units on the board when its played or finished, etc).

For an "attack rush" you want cards that when played initiate attacks against the enemy avatar, cards that let you damage them, stack up on cheap units to play with high damage bonus so you can raid them and kill off their units quick, etc.

Really, the main thing is to have a basic idea on how to play. Build a standard deck. Then modify the deck as needed when you run into scenarios you can't beat. I generally use 2 of the free monthly packs on the most recent 1-2 expansions and then use the other 3 on the expansions I want a specific item from, to guarantee I have enough newer cards to always be able to make a standard deck and beat any free scenarios for free loot cards. A lot of the old expansions had free scenario series you could play to win free loot cards.

I wasn't a magic the gathering kind of guy, but its not too horrible a game, especially just to do it enough for the free cards.
    Candara likes this.
  4. SpamFactory Augur

in general I would agree with you but for people who just want to beat this scenario and get a fang I would not recommend using zero units. the AI in this scenario plays tons of units on one side of the screen and can do up to 4 damage to your avatar in one round so a beginner isn't going to last long if they arent throwing out a single unit to the right side of the screen to die every turn so that 4 damage stays off their avatar.
  5. Abazzagorath Augur

My deck with no units beat the scenario in a few rounds easily.

The AI doesn't have almost any abilities. I used a 2 ability quest that did not let anyone put units down, so the AI could only put them on the other side. Then I put in 4, 5, and 6 power quests that either killed all played at the quest when played or defeated. The sarnak avatar has the ability to pay 1 power and destroy any damaged unit. So only have to do 1 damage after its played to destroy one yourself. The 3 dmg avatar works well for that, with some + attack tactics, because most of the insects it uses (except one iirc) has very low armor.

Its an easy scenario for the right deck, but without the right deck its going to stink for a beginner due to the +2 and +3 damage bonus insect units it uses. For those players, extending the game out longer by using units doesn't work so well. But that's my opinion and experience. All our play experience and decks differ, so you may be right.
  6. Symbius Augur

The item seems pointless to me anyway.

20 hour refresh for 1 shot poison? Seems hardly worth a bag slot.
  7. Abazzagorath Augur

You do know the potions don't poof when you log or something. You click it every day. Eventually you have a stack of them or more and click them as needed. It gives you a poison, not a buff. Its free. Its more damage without having to use rogue made potions. Other more expensive options are available like shaman tonics. But for standard "grinding" or whatever its free damage.

It also scales with levels. My fang has been giving me potions for the last 20 levels or whatever, thousands of potions, for free.
  8. Zirk New Member

Thanks for the posting, OP. I just learned the LON and won the scenario in a couple hours. Well worth it! Thanks again.
  9. Sancho Elder

For anyone else stuck here, use a cleric deck with no items. Maybe grab 4 tactics (the ones that let you put quest counters on quests during combat) and the rest units and abilities. You'll out-quest the spider real quick.
  10. Recnarp Augur

I still don't even know how quests work. It's like sometimes the it tells me to discard an ability to put a quest counter on there or not. I've played a lot of MTG, but this is confusing for some reason. I tried just kill him with units, but for some reason he is able to hit me twice sometimes, and I can only hit him once. *shrugs*

Even if I did win this item, I'd probably never use it. =p
  11. Sancho Elder

It's not too bad when you get the hang of it. You can only complete quests by having ability cards in play. When you are in the questing phase, you pick a quest and apply an ability card to that quest which then gets destroyed. Quests come in different levels - 2, 4, 5, 6. You can play at other players' quests too.

Ability cards have 'levels', usually 1, 2 or 3. The level is the number in the 8-sided star thing at the bottom left part of the card. You can knock out a level 2 quest in 1 turn with the right ability card. You can even solve your opponents level 2 quest if he's not fast enough. You only need 4 quests solved total to win a round.
  12. Recnarp Augur

Alright, I figured it out. Damn spider can ramp up some units fast though.
  13. Talif Augur

I just did it for a friend who has never done anything more than open up free packs. Customized the Architect deck by taking out any ability that cost more than 3 mana and units that cost more than 2, put in a bunch of cards that met those criteria and removed all of the items except for two pick axes. Reshuffled until I had at least two 3 mana for 2 quest token abilities and played until the spider didn't pull any abilities on the first round (so I would win the 2 easy 2 token quests right away). I would throw up a unit in front of the spider's mobs to soak damage and just finished off quests. I think the whole thing took about 10 rounds.