Paladin stuns, help me sort it out...

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by 68Strat, Apr 23, 2013.

1. 68Strat Augur

Hey guys, realtively new paladin here.

So I am only level 37 and I am already confused about paladin stun type spells.

I get cease, desist, stun already and dont know the difference between them. I dont know which ones people keep up on their bars and when and why to use them.

Some questions:

1. None of the stuns seem to stun for very long. Do some stun for longer than others? How do I find out the duration of the stun?

2. Which ones should I have on my bar and which ones are useless? Do the different stuns serve different purposes?

3. which ones are replacements to older ones...can someone break down our stun lines so I know heads from tails?

Thanks!
  2. Mykaylla Augur

[2581] Cease
    Classes: PAL/7
    Skill: Evocation
    Mana: 15
    Target: Single
    Range: 200′
    Resist: Magic
    Casting: 1.5s, Recast: 9s, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Stun for 1s up to level 55
    Text: You are struck by a sudden force.

[2582] Desist
    Classes: PAL/13
    Mana: 25
    Casting: 1.75s, Recast: 10s, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Stun for 2.5s up to level 55

[216] Stun
    Classes: CLR/2 PAL/28
    Mana: 35
    Casting: 1.5s, Recast: 12s, Timer: 5, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Stun for 4s up to level 55

Okay, so this is what you have right now. As you can see, Stun is on timer 5, and neither Cease nor Desist are on timers. They no longer stun mobs past level 55 though, and their cast time is slow compared to modern day paladin stuns, so even though they're not on timers, there's no real point to keep them up once you outlevel the stun.

At 42, you will get Holy Might, which is your first "long" stun that also deals damage. Holy Might is a 6 second stun, on an 18 second recast. At 52, you will get Force, which is also a "long" stun, at 6 seconds, on 18 second recast, that deals damage. This is your first stun that pushes back.
    Up to this point, all your stuns stun to level 55, and all of them can be used one after the other- only one is on a timer, which the others do not share.

At 53, you get Force of Akera, which is on timer 5- the same timer as Stun. Using either of these will grey the other out- Force of Akera casts faster, and stuns up to level 61, with a resist adjustment on it, so there's no real reason not to upgrade to it (other than it costs a bit more mana).

At 54, you get Quellious' Word of Tranquility, and your second timer. This is timer 6, which becomes, at later levels, the "Lesson of X" line in nomenclature. It is a 10 second stun, on a 24 second recast, pushes back 5 units, and deals damage. This is the template for the line from this point on- Lesson of Sorrow at level 97 is still a 10 second stun, 24 recast, 5 unit push + DD.

At 62, you get Force of Akilae, and a new timer. This is timer 4, a 4 second stun up to level 65. From now on, your spell stuns only stun up to the level cap for the expansion they come from. At 64, you get Quellious' Word of Serenity, which replaces your level 54 stun on the same timer. From Planes of Power until The Serpent's Spine, group paladins are limited to two stuns- timer 4 and timer 6- for current level cap.
    Raiders get a third stun through Ancients. Ancient: Force of Chaos is from Gates of Discord, on timer 5- 4 second stun to level 65. Ancient: Force of Jeron is from Omens of War, also on timer 5.

From level 71 onward (AKA The Serpent's Spine levels onwards), the third stun on timer 5 is no longer an ancient, thus becoming available to groupers at the max level for the relevant expansion- Force of Prexus at 75, in this case. The names become standardized in TSS. Timer 4 is X Force (Current max level is Reverent Force), timer 5 is Force of X (current max level is Force of the Iceclad), and timer 6 is Lesson of X (current max is Lesson of Sorrow).

For the first time in years, the Shadow of Fear update for Rain of Fear has introduced a new stun timer. Force of Reverence is a level 99 spell on timer 3, with a 30 second recast. It stuns to level 100 for 6 seconds, and reflects a heal over time back on the caster.

The best website to look up spell effects, including stun duration, is http://raidloot.com/Spells.aspx in my opinion. It's clearer on exactly what they do.
  3. 68Strat Augur

WOW thank you so much for your time...you have explained it perfectly!

So...if I use a stun on a mob during combat will it really stun the guy for the full 6-10 secs or can damage break it?

Are stuns something paladins use regularly in combat or is it just a pulling/interrupt tool?
  4. Riou EQResource

Damage doesn't break stuns.

Unless they changed it NPC's cant be stunned with 1 single ability any longer then like 4.25? seconds (when timed and chained back to back you can lock a mob down for longer though). Players can be stunned full duration though

Top end you will either be chaining stuns or DPS to aggro yes.
  5. Mykaylla Augur

[4977] Ancient: Force of Chaos
    Classes: PAL/65
    Mana: 80
    Resist: Magic -55
    Casting: 1s, Recast: 12s, Timer: 5, Rest: 1.5s
    Hate: 1400
    1: Stun for 4s up to level 65
    Text: You are struck by the force of chaos.

Bold emphasis mine.
    That hate modifier from Ancient: Force of Chaos on up becomes standard on all paladin stuns thereafter. This is an additional hate mod, that is also capable of breaking the hate limit for initially getting on a mob's hate list (which is normally capped no matter what your class is). They are your first bread and butter aggro generation. Whilst you will get things here and there like Challenge for Honor (an aggro over time ability with a vie mitigation recourse), your stuns are your aggro generation until level 82, when you have a choice between stuns and crushes. Crushes do not stun, but they are quick nukes with a large hate amount on them, just like on the paladin stuns, and were introduced due to the fact that there was a huge amount of unstunnable content- and particularly in raids. There are two crush lines, and they are on timer 5 and 6, so you can't load up two crushes and three spell stuns; you have to choose. Stuns, obviously offer superior mitigation on stunnable content, and are a bit more aggro than their equivalent crush counterparts. Crushes deal damage and can proc things like gift of mana, making it a bit easier to conserve mana. You're still a ways off from having to worry about that choice though.