guilds, time to combine

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by rosco, Apr 15, 2013.

1. rosco New Member

In the last three months i have been in 4 guilds. 3 had over 200 players. only about a hand full that actually have logged on in the last year, but 200 on the roster that have not played in over a year.
    What invaribly happens is a small group of similar level players group or multibox and the others are out in the cold mostly. other than the use of the guild hall, totally useless. too wide of a spread in levels to be usefull to each other.
    Most, not some, or alot, Most of the guilds, only counting active players, are small. They may have 200 or more on their roster, but only a small number of active players not even taking into account the multiboxers. Some of the oldest names on the server are just a hand full of active players.

They should combine.

Not going to happen at the player level. egos, pride, controll, those human things that block reason and common sense will prevail.

But it could happen. expand the guild interface to include a guild name for players from other guilds. allow guilds to join so they show up on each others guild interface and guild chat.

i do not see another way short of wiping guilds from the server and only allowing 4 or 5 per server forcing players to chose one of them. something needs to be done, the players are not going to do it.

i had a chat with a guild leader from a very old large guild. she went on and on about nostalgia and integrity with her being in charge of a guild with 300 members. so i joined. same ole same ole, 5 or 6 active players and over 270 names that had not logged on in over a year. i suggested combining with other small guilds, "they would have to come here, i will not disband this guild" which is the same response the other short sighted guild leaders said when i suggested the same.

not going to happen at the player level.

soe needs to create an interface to allow guilds to join. will go a long way to making guilds usefull to players again outside of the guild hall.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

Our guild has people sitting on the bench during raid time. Most high-end raiding guilds do. Unless we're upping raids to 72 people again, and not just 54, we don't have strong needs for bodies, only for 2 or 3 classes.
  3. Gragas Augur

Hmm, I raid with my guild, seems pretty useful?

If you do not like your current guild join another one?
  4. Selerra Journeyman

My guild has over 1700 players and often dozens of people on of various level ranges.
  5. Trajet D'Or Augur

Add to the motd of 2+ guilds to ;join eqfun

Look, it's a guild merge that took 15 seconds.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Sita Not New, Just Quiet

Some guilds are just a few friends that like to play together. Others are more open to whoever wants to join.
    I don't see why someone should have to join a guild they don't want to.

And if you want multiple guilds to be able to talk to each other, chat channels are the best way to do that.
  7. Tachyon Augur

A shared chat channel works well. It lets each guild retain it's identity while bringing like-minded player together.
    Tegila and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  8. Axxius Augur

Maybe the problem is not with the guilds...
  9. Fenthen aka Rath

Your connection to the universal chat service has been disconnected. Bwahaha!
  10. Narye Augur

We have people sitting as well
  11. Reht The Dude abides...

Sounds like you need to find a more active guild, a lot of players like their small guilds or carry 100s or more retired players on their roster for nostalgia reasons, I would hate to see SOE make them change because your choice of guilds didn't work out.
    Tegila and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  12. BoomWalker Augur

What server are you on? Guilds with 200 toons in them isn't large. It isn't really small but it isn't large. A guild with 1000 toons is large. Lots of those may not log on or are retired...but some guilds actually have 100 or so toons that are very active (log on a few times a week at least) and other guild have plenty of toons that sit on bench waiting for a spot in a raid.

If your in a non-raiding guild and it has a total of 200 toons in the roster it would be reasonable to expect fewer to log on and have groups of guildies. LFG is a great tool to find guilds. Start looking for groups...see what guild those folks are in...try to find other groups with that same guild...and build a reputation for yourself. Won't happen in a week...or a month...but it will happen. In the meantime, live in the LFG world of PUGs if your guild can't meet your needs.

Is your goal for a guild to give you groups to play in? Or it is to raid targets you want? Or it is to PL your toons and get you gear?

Breaking into an existing network of players is difficult. They have a system...a flow...and you are an outsider. You have to prove yourself to them... Come join my group and your job is to stay out of my way...at first. Work into building confidence that you won't screw up and you get a job to do...otherwise you get eliminated from playing in my group. My group won't want you to tank...slow...overdps...offtank...CC...just maybe heal a little..and and some minor DPS here and there. If your a tank...you get to assist...and don't steal agro to prove your so great at tanking. Definitely don't try offtanking mobs...it messes up the group flow.

Is your issue with guilds or the lack of groups in those guilds?
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

I would love a custom way to create your guild tag from an old guild you dont want to lose the name tag on but be in different guild.

lol, been asking for an mulit guild ablity for a long time. I been in a two guild and three guild allicane to raid. it nice some times haveing more guild banks if you have toons in both.
    we use a custom chat channel to due grouping. for the Guild banner issue of planing a banner.

But I think your issue is about grouping - lol you have a intire server to group with peeps your same level

put /lfg on
    /who all #lvllow #lvlhigh find out where they are at your level.
  14. Lily Augur

I remember in DAoC, guilds could form alliances. In addition to a guild window, there was an alliance window showing player names and guilds. There was also a chat channel for all alliance members. Seems like this might work if guilds could form formal alliances.
  15. Elricvonclief Augur

I see that already on Bristle, different guilds joining together to raid.
  16. Kelefane Augur

There comes a time when guilds need to set aside their egos and stop being "too proud" and merge with another guild or even joint raid to survive.

With the current content release trend, coupled with the fact that we are getting tiny spoon feeds of content at a time, im betting that attendance will suffer more and more throughout all guilds as we go forward, and joint raids and guild merging become more and more common.

Merging and joint raiding is better than your guild folding. Its always a sad day when any guild collapses. Especially if its on your server.
  17. Tarmuar New Member

ah, no...

Over the span of 11 years I was a member of 3 different family guilds that merged with larger guilds because of the exact thing the OP talked about, low roster, folks not logging on anymore, and so on. All three turned out to be a catastrophe for the guild that was absorbed (ours unfortunately, we were the family guild and the leader and senior officers decided one day we needed to be a raiding guild). A handful of toons were considered high-value acquisitions, the rest were treated so poorly that they left of their own accord, each a great player with well-above par character that just didn't meet the standard. I was just below raiding standards in both, but because of the way we were treated I chose to leave as well.

During one merger most the folk up and abandoned the old guild before the merger because it was done between leaders and no one was asked, just one day we got an MotD that stated we were merging to "enhance our raiding capabilities."

Guilds are created and maintained for a vast number of reasons, from hard-core raiding to grouping to a single player creating a guild just to get use of guild halls and a place to consolidate gear and supplies for boxes.

Joint raiding is the answer you are looking for, not forcing guilds or even convincing guilds to merge.
  18. Kelefane Augur

While I understand that joint raiding is necessary, ive always felt like it always leaves something to be desired when it comes to beating raids. It doesnt feel like an overall guild achievement when you beat something. I dont think it has the same woooooo effect that it has on a single guild beating something.

I'd rather merge and beat something and call it my own instead of it feeling so spread out.
    Samtan likes this.
  19. Crystilla Augur

Kelefane, curious if you have been involved with multi guild raiding? (Asking as I have done both and for us there was a great sense of accomplishment - some events more than others, but that's no different than now being in a single raid guild.)

To the OP, guilds keep their old members for various reasons. It's definitely nice if a player comes back to game after time off, to find they're still in guild, still have names they recognize on the roster etc. Players may quit for various reasons (finish college, just got married/had first child, job change, military) and honoring those choices is a good reason to keep someone's tag. Not the only choice and removing their tag for non players is not necessarily bad. But guilds have the right to handle their guild members they way they see fit (within reason of course).
  20. BoomWalker Augur

The OP still hasn't addressed the purpose of a guild...raid? group? Portal? Just that there aren't enough folks logging on...until clarified...alliances to raid...are pointless to discuss for this OP. Why should guild merge again? Tell us all the reason..help raid? Help find groups for you? To let you use the portal? What is the point of a guild for you?