Is it safe to upgrade to Windows 8

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cakvala, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Cakvala Augur

Title asks the questions, should i wait or .. ?
  2. jarsh92 Elder

I wouldn't if you want to keep playing Eq.......
  3. Cakvala Augur

well the root system is still the same, windows 8 is mostly a overlay to windows seven?
  4. Moklianne Augur

Can't you disable the new UI? And if that's the case, is there any reason to upgrade if you already have Windows 7?
  5. Toquillaw Augur

That's pretty much where we are at as well. It's a great interface for touch screens and phones, but not for our desktop. Sure, we can switch between the new interface but then we might as well stay on Win7.

Win 7 to us is a lot like XP was, it does the job so well it takes a lot to make us want to change. Only in the software world is that a "bad thing (tm)".
  6. Summul New Member

Win 8 seems to make the assumption that we all want to use our PCs like we use our phones or tablets when the point of touchscreen devices is to manipulate the UI with a small hand held device where you just don't have access to a real keyboard or mouse (even when you want one). /shrug. Guessing the next big OS we will have to get will be some version of Google Chrome since MS is probably going to be disgraced by Win 8. If we all have to us a phone OS than it might as well not be a POS one. Only way MS is going to find traction with Win8 is to included it on package deal machines that come with touchscreens.

Not buying Windows 8...or 9 or as long as it assumes that everyone wants the same experience in their PCs as with a friggen phone. I have two great non-touch monitors that are not going to be chunked and replaced for 500 dollars a monitor just for the ability to turn my PC into an Ipad. Win 7 is just too good to chuck for some phone based garbage since Win7 is the new XP that you can leave on your PC for 10+ years. Unless MS decides to shoot itself in the foot and discontinue Win 7 support very early in order to push Win8 on everyone. If that happens I will buy a @#%$@$% MAC!
  7. Mardy Augur

There are some enhancements here and there for desktop users, but nothing I saw made me want to upgrade. Unless you see something you really like or want with windows 8, there's no reason to upgrade if you already have win 7.

I know they are implementing the ribbons everywhere for windows 8, and I personally hate the new ribbons UI. I'd much rather have the menus so I can find what I need. But MS says people like ribbons so I guess I'm just different. I read what someone said and I agree with him, he pretty much said difference between those who upgrade to win8 vs those that don't will likely come down to power users vs casual users.

It's funny even in the operating system world, you've got hardcore vs casual issues lol :D

I do predict Windows 8 will sell well as tablet pc's. In terms of touch & go features, and hand gestures, it's an upgrade to the ipads. But being more powerful doesn't always translate to being more popular, again, the power user vs casual user thing.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  8. Moklianne Augur

Well, if it follows Microsoft's history for desktop OSes (every other), then Windows 8 will flop.
  9. Summul New Member

I can see it being used on thin clients and other areas of the Corporate Hive where you don't have to do much typing and the bean counters might see an opportunity to save some bux on leaving out the mouse and keyboard . Still, composing anything longer than a paragraph on a touchscreen anything blows chunks. I have an Ipad and I might read emails with it before bedtime or check the weather but anything past that requires getting up and firing up the real machine. Touchscreens = consume only. Keyboard and mouse = create.
  10. Geroblue Augur

Interesting. As I was told on a computer tech forum, about 2-3 months ago, that there would be two Win 8 systems. One for desktops/notebooks and one for Windows tablets.
  11. Cloudia Augur

Funny, back in the day when we were beta testing Win95, the genera consensus on the M$ forums was that the new explorer cramming everything into one window instead of easily allowing multiple windows to spawn off the tree was bad. Yet according to the M$ spindoctors EVERYONE in the beta just luved the way explorer condensed the tree. (just a little sideshot)
  12. Tobynn Augur

Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro (for PCs and tablets) and Windows 8 RT (for lower-level tablets only). Believe the RT edition will be available only as OEM pre-installed.
  13. Falos Augur

Personally I still miss windows 2000... NOT ME.. Windows ME was to operating systems as what WoW was to mmorpgs (IE a blatant slap in the face)
  14. Jubilex New Member

Can we answer the original question please? Regardless of whether you like win8 or not I dont care. DOES IT WORK IF I UPGRADE!!???

Jubilex
  15. Summul New Member

Sure, why not. MS tends to always be backwards compatible. Buy it, install it and load up EQ and than post the results. However, if you already have Windows 7 than congrats on wasting your money.
  16. Cakvala Augur

Well see then, I can dual boot on this box and Windows 8 Only cost $14.99 for pro.
  17. Oloren New Member

I've been running Windows 8 since the middle of August thanks to my MSDN Subscription. EQ runs as well or better than on Windows 7. No stability issues at all.
  18. Falos Augur

EQ next will be an MMO that uses Microsoft's Kinect + touch screens to play pass it on.... also bards in EQ next will be required to get a guitar hero controller.
    JolineSZ and Tarrin like this.
  19. Reprisal Augur

I'm hoping they bring back the NES power glove, myself.
  20. Porterz73 Augur

My 2 cents

I upgraded 2 machines and both ran EQ after upgrade with no issues.

Some notes: I upgraded From Vista on 1 machine (I hated Vista from day 1 and was happy to get rid of it)
    On the Vista upgrade everything had to be reinstalled. The upgrade was easy and all programs I reinstalled ran fine.

The Vista upgrade went so well I then upgraded my Win 7 machine to win 8, this upgrade was even easier. Almost all Programs did not need to be reinstalled on the 7 to 8 upgrade. EQ ran exactly the same pre and post install.

Some of the functions took a few minutes to get familiar with but it was not hard to get use to it. (Control panel and explorer for example).

Also note. The OS changed from the tablet look to your good old desktop in 1 simple click, so if you like desktop there is zero issue ... Also note if you can click with a finger a mouse is just as easy.

Conclusion

If you run Vista I suggest an upgrade immediately ... So much better

If you run Win 7 the upgrade worked fine( I liked Win 7 so the upgrade was not really needed)