Yui's Basic Controller Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Yui, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Yui Loyal Player

Yui’s Basic Controller Guide

Terms:
    Troller/Troll – Short terms for controller
    P0T/p0t – abbreviation of power over time
    Vit – short term for vitalization
    Dom – short term for dominance

Note:
    This guide only covers the basics of how to be a controller so some information may not be in here.

Now let's start with the basics.

There are three powersets for controlling.
    Gadgets
    Light
    Mental
    It doesn’t really matter which powerset you have because they all have powers that are meant for controlling. You just have to learn how to work with them.

Essential stats for controlling.
    Vitalization – The most important stat for a troller. The higher your vit is, the more power you can give out to your teammates.
    Dominance – This stat is essential for knocking down enemies that are bothering your teammates.

Skill Points:
    Invest your skill points on vitalization and cunning innates on weapon trees. You don`t really need to spend that much skill points on dom because you only need enough to pull and knock down enemies.

Weapons:
    A controller is one the most essential roles in the group which is why it’s going to be hard to deal with enemies especially bosses in an instance if a troller dies because the group will run out of power. This is one of the reasons why a troller should use range attacks for attacking enemies so they can stay out of the enemy's sight. Range weapons are the best weapons for doing this but a troller can also use a melee weapon if he knows what he's doing.

Now, let’s discuss what a controller should do.

As a controller, your job is to give power, debuff enemies, and crowd control.

Giving power to the group

This is the most important job of a controller. You give power to your teammates so they can do their jobs. This makes a controller the “battery” of the group.

There are two things you must do to give power.

- Power Over Time
    This power will refill the power bars of the people in the group constantly after every few seconds. When p0t is active, there will be a lightning mark under your name. When it disappears, then you have to cast p0t again.
    p0t powers:

Light: Light Claws, Boxing
    Gadgets: Taser Pull, Sticky Bomb
    Mental: Telekinesis, Terror Tendrils

Note:
    p0t doesn’t stack so don’t spam it like crazy in an instance
    You don’t have to have two p0t powers in your loadouts because you will only be using only one p0t power in an instance
    In a raid, the troller with the higher vit is the only one who will p0t
    For some reason, p0t disappears during cutscenes

-Instant Power
    This gives three teammates in the group power instantly. In an instance, your teammates will drain their power bar really constantly and it's your job to make sure they have more power to use. Giving instant power will refill their power bars so they’ll have more power to use. This is the power that you’ll be spamming the most in an instance.

Instant Power powers
    Light: Recharge
    Gadgets: Defibrillator
    Mental: Psychic Empowerment

Debuffing Enemies
    As a troller, it’s also your job to debuff enemies. Debuffing enemies lowers their stats which gives your group an advantage over them.

There are three types of debuffs:

Defense Debuff – This debuffs an enemy’s defense stat making it easier for the damage dealers in your group to kill it. A red shield mark will appear under a targeted enemy’s name if you cast this on it

Defense debuff powers:
    Light: Whip Thrash
    Gadgets: Gauss Grenade, Stasis Field
    Mental: Thought Bubble, Phantom Flames

Damage Debuff – This lowers an enemy’s damage making it deal less damage to your group. A red target mark will appear under a targeted enemy’s name when you cast this on it

Damage Debuff powers:
    Light: Lightweight, Grasping Hand
    Gadgets: Sleep Dart, Vortex Cannon
    Mental: Cyrokinesis, Terrorize

Healing Debuff – This takes away an enemy’s healing abilities and power over time abilities. A red heart symbol will appear under a targeted enemy’s name if you cast this on it

Healing Debuff powers:
    Light: Lightblast, Snap Trap, Entrap
    Gadgets: Cyro-Foam, Napalm Grenade
    Mental: Pyrokinesis, Horrific Visage

Note:
    Debuffs only last for a few seconds so keep an eye out on the targeted enemy so you can re-cast a debuff on it when the debuff is gone.
    I suggest you put at least 2 debuff powers in your loadout

Crowd Control
    As a troller, it is also your job to knock down enemies that are bothering your teammates. Okay I know what you’re thinking right now. “Isn’t that the tank’s job?” The answer to that is yes, but there are enemies that the tank wouldn't be able to knock down or pull and these enemies will bother your teammates, making it your job to knock them down or pull them away from the group with your powers.

Suggestions:
    Always carry a lot of soder colas (I suggest soder cola remix or soder cola max) with you because they will come in handy when you run out of power.
    Vitamin Soders and AUX soders increase your vit which helps increase your power output
    Get Word of Power or Speed Drain (must have the super speed movement). These are supercharge powers that can fully restore the power of your group in an instant which comes really handy in raids.

I hope this guide helped you guys somehow. I will update this in the future if I can think of anything else to put in here. If you have questions, just post them below and I'll get to you.

Other Controller Guides:

• Like x 14
  2. Delta795 New Player

Good basic overview, but please stop referring to us as:

[IMG]

And remove guide #2 as it's not very good.

Thx!
    • Like x 4
  3. Etho New Player

The "battery" tactic is effective when the players running the content are overgeared for it. Things will die quickly enough, so spamming instant power will keep the overgeared DPSers powered, which is generally a good thing.

I agree that "battery" controlling isn't the be all end all of controlling, but when the newest content was designed for a CR that's reachable in less than a week, everyone will be overgeared for it and controlling mobs won't be as necessary as it was when people were not so overgeared.

NIce guide btw, Yui. =)
  4. drzdonn Well-Known Player

I feel sorry for you.

Moving on.

Good job Yui!
  5. Delta795 New Player

Sorry, I was not knocking the guide. It's actually concise and makes sense for overview to newer controllers. Heck I'll even give it a plus one.

On a side note guide #2 still blows
  6. MeleeHappy Well-Known Player

:D DUAL WIELDS BABY
  7. walle2008 New Player

Being a controller seems hard, didn't even know a controller has to do that ;-;