YOUR CHARACTER'S DCUO STORY

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by aurorabenz07, Jan 1, 2016.

1. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Yes, she’s a Hero, and yes she’s technically still a teenager, but she’s also legally an adult (unless we're talking about drinking age LOL). She’s friends with the Teen Titans, and at the very least an honorary member. I haven’t had time to even think about her story after the in-game start point.

Until her mother revealed the truth about her heritage, she’d thought she was an only child (she’s the only one born since her mother began living among mortals). Her older siblings are mostly commanders among the Valkyries and Einherjar, aside from those whose father was a god.

Oh, and the identity of her father isn’t in the Justice League's files, I included that detail in case it becomes important if someone makes a proper story for her.

Regarding Brother Blood, he’d definitely be interested in her once he discovers her link to Raven, no doubt about that.

At some point, she’ll learn the trick of flying under her own power from Raven and return the falcon cloak to her mother.

As far as the Valkyries being part of Wonder Woman's rogues gallery back then...the entire multiverse has effectively been rewritten multiple times since the days of the JSA. And the 'New Gods' over on New Genesis...Tanja's mother would likely describe them as name-stealing frauds LOL.

Consider also, before the onset of the original Blackest Night, Star Sapphire was nothing more than a mind-controlled thorn in Hal Jordan's side...then the Zamarons learned first-hand just how problematic their original approach was and started shifting more towards the approach their kin on Oa used with the rings and lanterns.
  2. velvetsanity Loyal Player

If anyone's wondering just *why* Tanja's backstory has Freyja living in Midgard among mortals, it has absolutely nothing to do with the new Thor movie. Instead, I offer you this:

A hooded figure in a feathered cloak paused to contemplate the ancient well nestled in the roots of the Great Tree, then stepped up to the door of the nearby hut and knocked.

“Enter.”

The figure opened the door and slipped inside. A feminine voice, lovely and lilted, with a slight accent that gave it an exotic flair came from the hooded figure. “I felt your summons. You are not known for welcoming visitors. Why have you called for me?”

The woman sitting at the loom spoke with a gentle voice, “Place the tea on the table, please.” The visitor moved to set a small pouch on the table in the corner of the hut.

The old crone studying the cloth coming off of the loom spoke next. “The tapestry has altered. Unwoven and rewoven several times. It grows delicate and frail.”

“What do you mean?” the visitor asks.

“Even the threads change as I weave,” the woman said.

“They change as I spin and cut them,” complained the young girl at the spinning wheel.

Incredulous, the visitor exclaims, “How is that possible?!?”

“Tampering,” said the crone.
    “Destiny,” said the young girl.

“Mortals play with forces they cannot comprehend,” said the woman, sorrow underlying her voice.

“Even Loki, for all his mischief, would not dare touch these forces,” the crone added.

“Why are you telling me this?”

The young girl gazed into empty space, deftly spinning and cutting threads. “In a child unborn and unaware of its heritage, Midgard will find another Hero, one of many.”

The woman watched the loom closely as she worked quickly but carefully. “All the Heroes that can be found are needed.”

The crone studied the cloth carefully, reading something in the pattern of threads there. “Midgard has forgotten your beauty.”

“Remind them. Show them your love. Time spent in Midgard will not affect your treaty,” the young girl intoned.

“Now please leave us, Freyja, we have much work to do. And thank you for the tea.” The woman smiled at the cloaked figure briefly before returning her gaze to the loom.

“You’re welcome, Verdandi,” Freyja replied and turned to leave. She paused at the door. “And thank you for the information.”

Outside, Freyja glanced towards the ancient well again and paused, noticing a raven standing on its lip, watching her. She lowered her hood, revealing a face of exquisite beauty topped by a mane of fiery red curls, the amber and gold torc named Brísingamen resting lightly on her neck. “Huginn. Tell your master that my business is my own, and will not endanger the treaty between our peoples. I will be away for some time. In my absence, my daughter Gudrun, who is second only to me among my Valkyries, will handle my affairs.”

The raven cocked its head, and after a moment more of watching her flew off, presumably to deliver her message to Odin.

Freyja's feathered cloak then formed itself in the shape of great wings and she flew off, her mind focused on planning a trip to Midgard.

Inside the hut, Verdandi said, concern in her voice, “The patterns of her thread are changing on the loom. Did we do the right thing?”

“I hope so, little sister. The fabric does feel a tiny bit stronger now, more resilient. Skuld?” Urd replied.

The young girl's brow furrowed in concentration. “My reading isn’t quite so strained now...and the threads I spin seem more stable. It’s too early to see if it’s enough, but it does seem to be a step in the right direction.”

A few notes for those who aren’t well-versed with Norse mythology:
    Obviously, the hooded figure is Freyja.

The location is the home of the Norns, who can be loosely compared to the Greek Fates. They weave the tapestry which forms the very fabric of reality itself. They strongly dislike visitors interrupting their work. I took a little bit of liberty in my depiction of them and borrowed from Oh! My Goddess. Skuld, the youngest, who reads the future (in Norse thinking, ‘What Will Be’), spins and cuts the threads of fate, each thread represents a person or creature. The length of the thread is said to show how long it will live. Verdandi (O!MG tweaks her name to make it Belldandy), who reads the present (in Norse thinking, ‘What Is Becoming’), works the loom, weaving the threads according to each's fate or destiny, and Urd, the oldest, who reads the past (which in Norse thinking would be ‘What Is’), examines and cares for the woven tapestry.

They will, occasionally, answer questions asked by visitors, but the price is always steep and the answer always cryptic. Their relatively plain speaking here is the equivalent of Larfleeze giving away his entire collection of treasures.

The tea Freyja brought is a special herbal blend Freyja put together and, well...another thing I swiped from O!MG is that Verdandi is particularly fond of good tea :)

The well is Mimir's Well, nestled among the roots of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, which holds all of the realms of existence within its branches, trunk and roots, and which Odin dropped his eye into after plucking it out in order to gain wisdom.

Odin has two ravens, named Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory) who fly across the worlds and report to him on all that they see and hear. (He also has two wolves, but neither of them appeared in this snippet, so...)

And dang it, Marvel, Loki is ODIN’s brother, not Thor’s!

The treaty Skuld refers to is the treaty that ended the Aesir-Vanir war. The Norse gods consist of two groups: the Aesir who originate in Asgard, and the Vanir who originate in Vanaheim (the name literally means ‘home of the Vanir’). The war was ongoing for thousands of years before the treaty was made in the hopes of preventing the fighting from breaking out again. One of the stipulations was that a number of Vanir would move to Asgard and a number of Aesir would move to Vanaheim. Freyja, her brother Freyr, and their father were among the Vanir who moved to Asgard.
    • Like x 3
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Another wondrous entry :D
    • Like x 1
  4. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I am in agreement with Visor. I agree that time can be an endangered species of sorts and the lack of it can get in the way of writing stories we want to tell. I would love to sit down and type out stories I have for my characters more often than I do but my job and other areas of my life take away from this and the balance must be maintained. I am sure you have ideas click-clacking around in that head you have on your shoulders. Jot them down somewhere and when you do have the time sit down and burn up that keyboard. There are many of us who will read, comment and support those efforts.

Side note.....Nomad, if you read this, I have not forgotten about your story, I promise to read it and give it all the comments. Work has not allowed me the time I would like to sit and read through it to the degree it deserves, but I will get to it.

Back to you Vel, no one knows your character(s) the way you do. You know how they think, act and feel. To have someone else do that before you have them established, I think would be unfair to you and the stories you have for them.
    • Like x 2
  5. velvetsanity Loyal Player

There is that, but I’ve always just had snippets and snapshots. I can come up with points a, d, g, m, t, and even z, but I’ve never been able to put together everything in between.
    • Like x 1
  6. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

[IMG]

Also, at about the 1:02 mark, advise from the master, not sure it can be said any better
    • Like x 2
  7. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Someone could help you put your ideas together in a more-coherent story, but only you can come up with the initial idea
  8. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I do have a few bits and pieces in my head that I’m poking and prodding...
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That's a start :D
    • Like x 1
  10. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

[IMG]
    Eh, it's cool. Whenevs. :cool:
    • Like x 2
  11. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Well done sir. Glad I got around to finally reading this. I like the layers to this with Gallius coming to earth and then with Manny serving a the human link. I think the way you wrote Cadmus was really nice as well. Those government contracted places are always up to now good. One of the things I really liked about this is, the way you folded into existing stories you have written about Gallius and other characters. I really enjoyed the multi-layered feel this story had with the players involved. One of the thoughts I had in reading some of this was that it felt like Gallius had a lot in common with the recent portrayal of Wonder Woman, in that they are characters who are learning an entire new race of people, languages, cultural norms and ways of life in a very live and expedited way possibly creating some confusion and interesting moments to come. Well done Sir. Looking forward to more.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  12. AlienNomad Well-Known Player

Thanks Bern. Glad you liked it! One thing I would like to do is to bring secondary characters into later stories. I want to give the impression that anyone could potentially be someone later on. So a regular human could be an important figure down the line and not just some Joe schmoe NPC. My next installment is right after Rescue Mission when Gallius leaves the Himalayas and flies towards that Arctic Sun. While Ingott and Medussa are on Nypreos, this is happening to Gallius on Earth. Things are about to take a turn for the weird. It will take awhile to put this one together. Stay tuned guys. :)
    [IMG]
  13. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    Just wanted to update that the next part of Mina's journey within the Blackest Night will continue on the next part, BLACK DAWN

hint hint
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2
  14. velvetsanity Loyal Player

The first real entry in Tanja's story (the scene I posted earlier with the Norns was more for background. Prologue, maybe?)
    <> indicates computer synthesized speech

Tanja Freyjasdottir, part 1
    Welcome to the Justice League Confidential Records Fileserver.
    Please log in.
    Login: d.prince
    Password: *******************

<Please submit your name for voiceprint analysis.>

“Diana Prince.”

<Analyzing...>
    <Analysis complete. Access granted. Welcome, Diana.>

“Access New Heroes database. New entry.”

<New Heroes database opened. New entry created. Please enter the following information:>

Code name:
    Legal name: Tanja Freyjasdottir
    <Autofill using external records?> “Yes.”
    <Records found.>
    DOB: xx/xx/xxxx
    Current age: 19
    Place of birth: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth
    Current residence: Beverly Hills, CA, USA, Earth
    Power category: Magic
    Power type classification: Celestial
    Power origin: Mixed
    Origin 1: Hereditary
    Relevant family line: mother
    Name: Freyja of Asgard
    <No records found. Use external sources?> “Yes.”
    <No legal records found.>
    <Search additional sources?> “Yes.”
    <References found. Collating Data.>
    <Data source: mythological texts.>
    Nature: Goddess
    Domains: Love, beauty, sex, magic, fertility, war, death
    <Threat evaluation required.>
    <Friendly/Neutral/Hostile?> “Neutral.”
    <Potential for ally (High/Medium/Low)?> “Low.”
    <Potential for hostility (High/Medium/Low)?> “Low.”
    <Do you have additional data for reference?> “Yes.”
    <Please select relevant categories and enter data.>
    Legal name: Freyja Vanity
    <Search external records?> “Yes.”
    <Records found. Collating.>
    <Data compilation complete. New record created in Unaligned database. Cross-reference linking complete.>
    Origin 2: Exobyte Data
    Source of Data (if known): Rachel Roth aka Raven
    <Record found. Cross-reference link created.>
    <Additional origin sources?> “No.”
    Group role:
    Weapon use:
    Additional comments:

Wonder Woman sat back in her chair and groaned, rubbing her eyes. At that moment, Batman walked into the monitor womb. “Diana? You’re still here? I’d have thought you’d be sleeping by now.”

Wonder Woman glanced over at him. “Hey Bruce. Gotham must be quiet tonight if you’re already back.”

“It’s already three in the morning. What’s so important that it couldn’t wait until you got some sleep?”

Diana waved tiredly at the screen in front of her. “Problematic exobyte imprint. I only got an update on the situation a cou...” She sighed. “Well, about four or five hours ago now, I guess.”

“It must be bad if it’s taking you this long to write the report.”

“Bad? Maybe. But it’s a far more complicated situation than any other exobyte imprint we’ve encountered so far.”

“Oh? Maybe talking about it will help you get your thoughts in order for the report. Or you could save what you have, get some sleep, and finish it in the morning.”

Diana shook her head. “You know I can’t do that.” She sighed again. “Alright. It started with a phone call two days ag...”

“Wait a moment. Computer, record this conversation and append it to the record Diana Prince is working on.”

<Acknowledged.>

“I should have thought of that. Anyway, as I was saying, it started with a phone call two days ago...”

TWO DAYS EARLIER...
    Heart of Vanity Studios, Los Angeles, California

The intercom clicked. “Miss Vanity, Bryn’s on line one, she says it’s urgent.”

“Thank you, Erika, I’ve got it.”

Freyja picked up the phone, pressing the button for line one. “Hello, Bryn, what’s the problem?”

“My Lady, Kari had decided to go for a swim while she was off duty, and when she reached the pool area, she found your daughter Tanja unconscious on the deck, along with what looks like it might be one of those robot insect things mentioned in the warning the Justice League put out in the news.”

Freyja sat up in her seat, suddenly tense and alert. “How long ago was this, and have you called the number they gave in the warning?”

“Just a few minutes, my Lady, and not yet. I felt it best to let you know first.”

“Thank you, and don’t. I’ll call myself on the way there.”

“Yes, my Lady. We’ve moved Tanja to the couch in the game room.”

“Alright. I’ll be there as quickly as possible. I may call ahead with information depending on what I learn from the Justice League.” She hung up the phone and clicked the intercom. “Erika, there’s a family emergency at the mansion. Cancel all my appointments for this afternoon.”

“Yes ma’am.”

Freyja logged off her computer and grabbed her purse. As she stepped out of her office, she saw that her assistant had done the same and was busy on her cell phone rescheduling meetings as she moved to follow Freyja towards the elevator.

Just before the elevator reached the parking garage, Erika put her phone away. “Everything’s been rescheduled for next week, my Lady, and Ingrid has the car ready.”

“Thank you, Erika. Every day it becomes more clear why people find having someone in your position invaluable.”

“It’s challenging, but it’s a challenge I enjoy.”

Once they were in the limo, Freyja pulled out her phone.
    • Like x 4
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Ooo, great new entry, looking forward to reading more :)
  16. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Next entry: the phone call Diana mentioned (as if you all hadn’t guessed already LOL), though it’ll likely be a few days.
  17. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

There's no rush, and 'small', single, posts like this are just as fine as larger multi-posts :D
  18. velvetsanity Loyal Player

That was small? I was worried it’d be too long for a single post LOL
  19. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Have you seen Ms Benz' entries? Or maybe it's the images that make it seem big, of course not saying there is anything wrong with it being so big, was just giving an example of a large single entry, and then of course you have Bernie's multi-post stories, which, again, are great, and again, just another example of character story-telling :D
    Not a story-teller personally (refuse to 'think' for other characters, less so for someone else' OC), but do appreciate a well-written story (typos and grammatical 'errors' not-withstanding ;))
    • Like x 1
  20. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Nice initial story. The transitions from the scene with Bats and WW felt smooth and the scene with the phone call conveyed the right amount of tension/urgency. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for Freyja and Tanja and what powers manifest in her.

If I may offer a helpful opinion as I have read some of the other posts you put up about concerns around your writing, don't worry about how long it takes to put something out. Write what you want and how you want, the rest will evolve over time. I have been slacking in the writing department myself due to things like work and drawing pages for the book I hope to have ready to go for mid-late spring next year. And quality??? Seriously, go back and read some of my early stuff here.......I cringe, and I wrote it......As time goes on, and I say this not because I think I am some great writer, the characters will develop and your direction with them will become clearer. Our processes for writing these stories are all different and we each have our own strengths. Look as Ms. Benz's stuff with the lanterns, she can tell huge space epic better than I can and probably better than a lot of people. All in all, tell YOUR stories. With time those personalities and direction will become clearer and you will have YOUR style. Keep up the good work.
    [IMG]
    • Like x 2