You want us to melee... But not survive!!!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by RLManuel, Aug 18, 2015.

1. RLManuel Committed Player

I was just in NGN with my rage toon(cr128, 171sp) and was meleeing the whole raid. Melee on the adds is ok if you know how to use rage, but when it comes to the bosses... No f**king way!!! I was avoiding the bosses big moves and stayed mainly behind them and I'm getting hit for 45k plus a little more and I'm using Relentless Anger, and it's supposed to heal back all damage that you take in right? Wrong, it didn't on multiple times. Im not rage crashing either!
    On the last boss we wiped twice and I decide that I didn't want to melee him anymore so I just spammed dreadful blast and that was boring as sh*t.

If you want us to melee so bad then make it so we can actually have a chance to survive it!!!!
    • Like x 3
  2. Backseid Devoted Player

You're not supposed to melee Boss's.

FYI.
    • Like x 1
  3. Jak-Man Committed Player

Some bosses are tough to melee. The first boss in NGN is tricky because if you're not careful she'll instantly one-shot you with her arctic gust.

As for staying alive, you should use Remorseless Recovery as well, it REALLY helps.
  4. RLManuel Committed Player

I know that but I rather melee them, then just stand in place and spam dreadful blast.
    • Like x 1
  5. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Uhmm....Because you're not supposed to melee bosses.....?? You do know games are supposed to be somewhat difficult, right? A boss is a boss for a reason. You can melee alerts.
    • Like x 1
  6. Sore Steadfast Player

I think the idea is that you can melee most if not all mobs. You should range bosses. But if a player is skilled and clever enough to learn the tells and ability sequences then they ought to be able to pull into melee and get more damage. That said, they're also likely to need to develop that knowledge and those skills after more than just one run.

Of course there probably are bosses that nobody should ever range. The key issue is that not all powerets are equal at range, or moreso they're not equal at midrange. So I guess more to come on that front later. Right now, the topic of melee gets a little convoluted because expectations are all over the place on the definition of melee, the viability of melee, and the level of skill needed to melee. I hear there's a video of Brittney melee DPSing all of Bombshells with a few close calls and maybe one death. I guess that's where the risk/reward comes in. Even if you can melee something, maybe it's not supposed to be easy and maybe it's not something you should be doing at entry CR.

In terms of when you can't melee, maybe we should be listing the specific attacks that prevent us from doing so. Maybe that kind of feedback should be exactly what we share when content is on PC Test or when it first hits live. Maybe we should be asking for better tells on specific abilities of specific enemies in specific content while that feedback is relevant. Because right now most feedback I do see is about as generic as the comments I read here. Not bad feedback as a sentiment but nothing truly actionable.
    • Like x 4
  7. RLManuel Committed Player

Yea she got me with that move twice. Remorseless Recovery is good but would only help on the adds really
  8. RLManuel Committed Player

You probably didn't see the post were I agreed with another person that said your not supposed to melee the bosses. My reply to that was me saying I'd rather melee the bosses then stand in one place and spam dreadful blast.
    • Like x 1
  9. Derio 15000 Post Club

Any boss AT LEVEL is not intended to melee. There is no such thing as Melee dps in this game. Especially considering how much more stress it puts on the healer and troller having to heal you after you die and constantly cast pot again when you get up. Considering you wont even come close to beating an Ice dps with rage melee.

Its best to just stick to tanking right now for rage and wait until they work things out, and judging by the progress. Rage wont be fixed in the next GU. But hopefully they can come close.
    • Like x 2
  10. Trexlight Devoted Player

Sounds like you should have avoided a big move but didnt. Hard to telegraph bosses that dont follow a "script" thats easy to tell.
  11. Swiftduck Loyal Player

I don't know who fed you this misinformation, but I have been meleeing in MMORPG's for the last 10 years.

That's why the devs create melee dps powers.

Just like every single mmo ever made.
    • Like x 8
  12. RLManuel Committed Player

I have beaten ice dps with my rage melee dps since gu51 lol the issue is the survive ability of rage melee if they made the survive ability better the rage would be one of the top dps
  13. Jak-Man Committed Player

Pffft. No such thing as a melee dps. Ok. And I guess I'm the only one that thinks Rage is doing fine now, despite being outdone by the current OP powers.
    • Like x 1
  14. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Rage Mode as Damage I believe is not supposed to heal you back 100%. Could be wrong though.
    • Like x 1
  15. RLManuel Committed Player

I did avoid it that's the thing, I mean I got hit by I once or twice but that was my fault being in the wrong place at the wrong time that is
  16. RLManuel Committed Player

Rage is doing fine now. It just needs move survivability.
  17. Dogico Loyal Player

Back in the day Earth dps used to be able to get 25% damage absorption in dps stance; used to melee the **** out of everything. Earth dps was crap back then but at least it was fun.

One thing I think devs should do (and if Bombshells is any indication, they are doing) is change bosses' aoe attacks into conal attacks. Would encourage more melee dps.
    • Like x 4
  18. Backseid Devoted Player

Talk about mis information :eek:
  19. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

Uhm, ok. Well I haven't played rage so I don't know what to tell you. This is the state of boss fights at the moment.
  20. Valsmurf Loyal Player

Up to t4, melee was the preferred style of attack. I remember dual-wielding those Avatars in Gates and Prime like there was no tomorrow. It was so much fun. Then came t5 and everyone forgot melee was even possible. Before t5 I never heard a tank yell at dpsers for meleeing, now even in easy content they're like "stop it! i can't see!" How did people tank t4 and under then?

Not saying we should able to melee all bosses forever, but it's been 3 tiers since it was viable, a little variety would be welcome
    • Like x 3